• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

New Windham Weaponry carbine! Suggestions for break-in?

This is a discussion on New Windham Weaponry carbine! Suggestions for break-in? within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Just picked up my new WW (R16M4A4T) carbine on Monday! This is my first AR purchase. This model seems to have most, if not all, ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » New Windham Weaponry carbine! Suggestions for break-in?

Old 02-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 42665
New Windham Weaponry carbine! Suggestions for break-in?

Just picked up my new WW (R16M4A4T) carbine on Monday! This is my first AR purchase. This model seems to have most, if not all, of the features of higher priced ARs: Well made M4 feed ramps, chrome lined 4150 steel barrel, 5.56 chamber, properly staked bolt key, shrouded firing pin, etc. Paid $905 out the door.

I've heard many schools of thought regarding a proper break-in for chrome lined vs standard barrels. Some even recommended cleaning the bore between each shot. I'd like to hear from you AR freaks: How would you recommend breaking in the new rifle?

Thanks in advance!
Ruger P-90 .45 ACP
Ruger LC9 9mm (Primary Carry Gun)
Ruger LCP .380 ACP
Ruger Old Model Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum
Beretta U22 Neos .22LR
Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special
Windham Weaponry M4 Carbine 5.56 NATO
...and a few others

Don't Californicate Colorado
Gulftanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 64814
Congrats on your purchase! I was looking at buying a bushmaster a couple months ago and was deeply disappointed to learn that they are no longer made at the original factory in Maine (company got sold to Remington's parent company who then shut down the small-town original factory). Very interested to hear how well the Windham Weapons ARs work out...you can bet yours was made by experts, in America, by a company with integrity. Would like to hear a range report once you get it broken in!
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 16634
Just swab the barrel out to make sure it is clean to start and then just go shoot it.
mvician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #4
XDTalk Member

Member #: 36029
This is a fighting weapon. Barrel break-in is of no importance. Clean it from the factory, lube it, shoot the hell out of it... repeat.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 42665
I know I'm probably being overly protective at the start, but I'll loosen up a bit after a few trips to the range and a couple of scratches on the rifle!

Will a bore guide work with the flash suppressor? It seems like a bore snake is the best cleaning option to protect the rifling.
Ruger P-90 .45 ACP
Ruger LC9 9mm (Primary Carry Gun)
Ruger LCP .380 ACP
Ruger Old Model Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum
Beretta U22 Neos .22LR
Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special
Windham Weaponry M4 Carbine 5.56 NATO
...and a few others

Don't Californicate Colorado
Gulftanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 10643
In my humble opinion, Bore Snakes are just about worthless. If you ever have one break off/get stuck in the bore, you'll discover that they're less-than worthless.

An AR bore guide replaces the bolt carrier group, so whatever you have on the muzzle is irrelevant. I'm happy to hear that those guys are building quality ARs in the old Bushmaster plant. Thankfully, when I bought my first AR many moons ago, a really wise person advised me to buy a Bushmaster, instead of a Colt, which would have only cost me $50 more at the time.

Thousands of rounds later, and my Bushy never fails. I've never seen a Colt at our local range that would outshoot my Bushy.

Bushmaster's advice on "breaking in" their chrome-lined barrels was to run a coupla-hundred fmj rounds through it before cleaning the bore. (after the initial cleaning, of course.) I lube my ARs and other firearms exclusively with Mobil 1, 15W50. It won't cook off like inferior, so-called firearms specialty lubes.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
XDTalk 85K Member

Member #: 14053
Let me know how you like it. I am seriously thinking of buying one myself.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 26578
Keep her lubed and clean the barrel when you get a chance after shooting and she'll run just fine.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 66064
My DPMS said to do the clean after each shot for like the first 50-100rds and I followed the directions and everyone at the range picked and said it was over kill. Don't know for sure but did what was recomended by the factory & made me feel better anyway. As far as using a boresnake I'm not a big fan but have used during high volume shooting for quick barrel wipe down at the range. Congrats on new purchase, enjoy & do what makes yoy feel best!
richeyo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 56134
Get the cleaning kit specific to your rifle "AR15 field cleaning kit", give it a once over and some CLP and go shooting

RRA LAR-15 Operator 2
Colt Hbar Elite AR-15 w/ 24' bull barrel
Benelli SBE ii
Browning Superposed O/U w/ Broadway Trap
Tactical Mossberg 500
XDm 40 Compact 3.8
S&W BG380
firechase is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

barrel, break-in, chrome, windham

Search tags for this page
cleaning windham src weapon
hbc windom review
windham carbon fiber ar 15 review
windham hbc review
windham src 556 with nikon p-223 range report
windham src accuracy reports
windham weaponary barrels
windham weaponry break in

windham weaponry hbc

windham weaponry r16m4a4t review
windham weaponry src carbon lite ar15
windham ww15 breakdown
Click on a term to search for related topics.