• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

New Windham Weaponry carbine! Suggestions for break-in?

This is a discussion on New Windham Weaponry carbine! Suggestions for break-in? within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Originally Posted by chameleon Congrats on the new AR. Get some pics up! yeah just clean it once and shoot the piss out of it. ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » New Windham Weaponry carbine! Suggestions for break-in?

Old 02-25-2012, 01:03 AM   #21
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 42665
Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleon View Post
Congrats on the new AR. Get some pics up! yeah just clean it once and shoot the piss out of it. Get a few hundred rounds downrange before you clean it again.
Here ya go:

Ruger P-90 .45 ACP
Ruger LC9 9mm (Primary Carry Gun)
Ruger LCP .380 ACP
Ruger Old Model Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum
Beretta U22 Neos .22LR
Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special
Windham Weaponry M4 Carbine 5.56 NATO
...and a few others

Don't Californicate Colorado
Gulftanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-25-2012, 01:04 AM   #22
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 46983
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
This is a fighting weapon. Barrel break-in is of no importance. Clean it from the factory, lube it, shoot the hell out of it... repeat.
THIS^
Chrome lined barrels are not built for accuraccy. They can be >1moa rifles but they are made to Shoot, shoot ,shoot, and shoot some more.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:35 AM   #23
XDTalk Member

Member #: 36029
Quote:
The Colt name always demands a premium.
Really.. $950 for a Colt 6920 even in Alaska. Call me an elitist, but I trust the company that builds (along with FN) the rifles for our troops. There is a reason that Windham has chosen to follow the M4 model for this rifle. It's because consumers (elitists) now know what it takes to make a good carbine and EXPECT manufacturers to provide it. Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, and Colt all built proven carbines in the less than $1100 price point. Bushmaster has never been on the level of those three, hopefully Windham steps up.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #24
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
Really.. $950 for a Colt 6920 even in Alaska. Call me an elitist, but I trust the company that builds (along with FN) the rifles for our troops. There is a reason that Windham has chosen to follow the M4 model for this rifle. It's because consumers (elitists) now know what it takes to make a good carbine and EXPECT manufacturers to provide it. Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, and Colt all built proven carbines in the less than $1100 price point. Bushmaster has never been on the level of those three, hopefully Windham steps up.

I guess $950 for a Colt doesn't sound that bad, but I still like the fact that I paid $105 less for a practically identical rifle.
Ruger P-90 .45 ACP
Ruger LCP .380 ACP
Beretta U22 Neos .22LR
...and a few others

Old 02-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #25
XDTalk Member

Member #: 67892
Keep the bolt and trigger group lubed, don't put oil in the barrel except for storage. Shoot the crap out of it. Also windom uses 1195se steel for their barrels, this is the same stuff BCM and other higher end manufactures use. Have fun.
no1uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #26
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 9359
Hey Gulftanker. Good zing on the 1911. I bought a 1911 a few months ago and insisted on a Colt, but primarily for tradition's sake on the 100th anniversary. I started out to get a Colt AR-15 as well. However, my dealer, who has not given me bad advice, really likes the Windham guns. Even has one for himself. When it came down to the bottom line, the Windham HBC had an entry level price - $850 - but features typically one notch up from entry level. Also, assuming the company survives, they have a lifetime transferable warranty. Colt--1 yr. Bushmaster--1 yr.

So yesterday I took a chance on the first AR I have even handled since 1968. Amazing how familiar it still is. Seems like the AR-15 is the new 1911. Shot today two magazines (sixty rounds...Sorry California, New York and some others still limited to ten rounds. Vote Republican.) Way too windy here today for zeroing, and probably premature anyway.

This purchase was totally unnecessary, other than wanting to get an AR while I still can. Considering all, brand new carbine, first rifle I've fired in 40+ years, and I can't focus on the front sight, I'm pretty happy with it. About 5" groups above and left of center. And the ammo is cheaper than .45 ACP.

They just should have workshopped that company name! Windham Weaponry. Really? How about Windham Arms or Windham Armory?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #27
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburychka View Post
Hey Gulftanker. Good zing on the 1911. I bought a 1911 a few months ago and insisted on a Colt, but primarily for tradition's sake on the 100th anniversary. I started out to get a Colt AR-15 as well. However, my dealer, who has not given me bad advice, really likes the Windham guns. Even has one for himself. When it came down to the bottom line, the Windham HBC had an entry level price - $850 - but features typically one notch up from entry level. Also, assuming the company survives, they have a lifetime transferable warranty. Colt--1 yr. Bushmaster--1 yr.

So yesterday I took a chance on the first AR I have even handled since 1968. Amazing how familiar it still is. Seems like the AR-15 is the new 1911. Shot today two magazines (sixty rounds...Sorry California, New York and some others still limited to ten rounds. Vote Republican.) Way too windy here today for zeroing, and probably premature anyway.

This purchase was totally unnecessary, other than wanting to get an AR while I still can. Considering all, brand new carbine, first rifle I've fired in 40+ years, and I can't focus on the front sight, I'm pretty happy with it. About 5" groups above and left of center. And the ammo is cheaper than .45 ACP.

They just should have workshopped that company name! Windham Weaponry. Really? How about Windham Arms or Windham Armory?

Yeah, the name could have been a little better! I really like my Windham. Reminds me of my Army days on the qualification range.

I first looked at them based on the recommendation of a fellow gun nut. The standard features combined with the low price sold me on them pretty quickly.
Ruger P-90 .45 ACP
Ruger LCP .380 ACP
Beretta U22 Neos .22LR
...and a few others

Old 03-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #28
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulftanker View Post
I know I'm probably being overly protective at the start, but I'll loosen up a bit after a few trips to the range and a couple of scratches on the rifle!

Will a bore guide work with the flash suppressor? It seems like a bore snake is the best cleaning option to protect the rifling.
Bore snakes are junk.

Get a Tipton 1 piece carbon fiber rod and call it a day.

You also don't need to clean it again until accuracy falls off or it's exposed to incliment weather.
UofHdevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #29
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 73052
Any updates on your Windham?
dos0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #30
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 9359
Quote:
Originally Posted by dos0711 View Post
Any updates on your Windham?
Just to rule out my vision as a precaution, I got a local gunsmith to zero the sights for me, after which I saw I could match his results. The handle sight is easily removed and replaced in exactly the same position, so I can take it apart and reassemble with no problem. And that's good because I've now removed the handle sight.

A couple times to the range, and I realized I don't see like I did in 1968--or even in 1998, for that matter. In order to facilitate my actually seeing a target at 100 yards, I bought a Nikon P-223 3-9x40 scope. That helped a lot. It's nice to be able to see the target and then see where you hit.

So far, no regrets.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

barrel, break-in, chrome, windham

Search tags for this page
ar-15 break in procedure windham weaponry
destiny windham weaponry carbon review
does a windam weponary ar 15 need a barrel break in
windham ar 15 review
windham carbon fiber ar 15 reviews
windham carbon fiber ar revues
windham carbon fiber ar-15 review
windham hbc review
windham weaponary barrels
windham weaponry break in
windham weaponry carbon ar 15 reviews

windham weaponry hbc

windham weaponry r16m4a4t review

windham weaponry reviews

windham weaponry src carbon lite ar15
windom ar src accuracy
Click on a term to search for related topics.