• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

New Windham Weaponry carbine! Suggestions for break-in?

This is a discussion on New Windham Weaponry carbine! Suggestions for break-in? within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Originally Posted by richeyo2 My DPMS said to do the clean after each shot for like the first 50-100rds and I followed the directions and ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » New Windham Weaponry carbine! Suggestions for break-in?

Old 02-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 10643
Quote:
Originally Posted by richeyo2 View Post
My DPMS said to do the clean after each shot for like the first 50-100rds and I followed the directions and everyone at the range picked and said it was over kill. Don't know for sure but did what was recomended by the factory & made me feel better anyway. As far as using a boresnake I'm not a big fan but have used during high volume shooting for quick barrel wipe down at the range. Congrats on new purchase, enjoy & do what makes yoy feel best!
The late Gale McMillan, who probably knew more about barrels than anybody on Earth, said that the "shoot one/clean" break-in was pure b.s.

Besides, I can't imagine that anybody would recommend that break-in for a chrome-lined barrel.
Remove Ads
Old 02-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #12
XDTalk Member

Member #: 67849
I clean after every range trip. 1 round or 1000. Clp, Walmart cleaning kit, and a piece of coat hanger with the ends beat flat for a carbon scraper.
williewvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 42665
Well, I broke her in by cleaning the bore, lightly oiling, and popping 60 downrange in slow groups of three, letting the barrel cool a few minutes between groups. I'm very pleased with the results. First shot was on the circle at about 10:00. Five *clicks* later I was knocking out the center. Perfect function, as well.
Ruger P-90 .45 ACP
Ruger LC9 9mm (Primary Carry Gun)
Ruger LCP .380 ACP
Ruger Old Model Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum
Beretta U22 Neos .22LR
Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special
Windham Weaponry M4 Carbine 5.56 NATO
...and a few others

Don't Californicate Colorado
Gulftanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #14
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 26578
Lightly oiling the barrel is a good idea for storage, but if you're going shooting you'd be better off swabbing the oil out of the barrel for your first cold bore shot.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49 View Post
Lightly oiling the barrel is a good idea for storage, but if you're going shooting you'd be better off swabbing the oil out of the barrel for your first cold bore shot.

I worded that a bit wrong. I meant the action was lightly oiled. The barrel was nice and clean.
Ruger P-90 .45 ACP
Ruger LCP .380 ACP
Beretta U22 Neos .22LR
...and a few others

Old 02-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 70132
I was just in Walmart the other day and saw two AR everything looks about the same except for maybe the sights one is a Windham the other is a colt with a $400 dollar price difference...is there that big a gap in quality or just name recognition with colt? I've been wanting to get an AR for a while but I want one that will last. if they're the same quality I'll go with the cheaper Windham but I've never heard anything about em can you guys fill me in?
ncox071989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #17
XDTalk 500 Member

The Colt name always demands a premium. My Windham is a good quality piece and wasn't outrageously priced. Another benefit I see from Windham is a fully transferable lifetime warranty. Being made up of former Bushmaster employees, I bet they know what they're doing, too.
Ruger P-90 .45 ACP
Ruger LCP .380 ACP
Beretta U22 Neos .22LR
...and a few others

Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 AM   #18
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28247
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncox071989 View Post
I was just in Walmart the other day and saw two AR everything looks about the same except for maybe the sights one is a Windham the other is a colt with a $400 dollar price difference...is there that big a gap in quality or just name recognition with colt? I've been wanting to get an AR for a while but I want one that will last. if they're the same quality I'll go with the cheaper Windham but I've never heard anything about em can you guys fill me in?
I don't know what Wally World was charging for Colts, but you can get a Colt 6920 online for $945 + shipping ($14 on mine.) The 6920 is the standard against which all M4 style rifles are judged against (since it is an actual 16" barrel, semi-auto M4.) Colt is the only source for real M4s. Everything else is just a copy. BTW- If anyone tells you that Colts use non-standard parts, that only applies to used ones from the Assualt Weapons Ban period and shortly thereafter. Colt got over that a few years back, and now everything is interchangeable, sizewise, with other ARs.

Also, Windham is a startup, using the closed Bushy factory. While their specs look good, they have only been in business for a very short time. They have no track record to judge them by, while Colt has been making ARs since the early 60s.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #19
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdxpilot View Post
I don't know what Wally World was charging for Colts, but you can get a Colt 6920 online for $945 + shipping ($14 on mine.) The 6920 is the standard against which all M4 style rifles are judged against (since it is an actual 16" barrel, semi-auto M4.) Colt is the only source for real M4s. Everything else is just a copy. BTW- If anyone tells you that Colts use non-standard parts, that only applies to used ones from the Assualt Weapons Ban period and shortly thereafter. Colt got over that a few years back, and now everything is interchangeable, sizewise, with other ARs.

Also, Windham is a startup, using the closed Bushy factory. While their specs look good, they have only been in business for a very short time. They have no track record to judge them by, while Colt has been making ARs since the early 60s.
Ooh, we have an Elitist! Colt is the only source for real M4's? Wouldn't Colt be the only source for real 1911's as well? I see you have a Smith & Wesson 1911. Isn't that just a copy?

The way I see it, the former directors and employees of Bushmaster probably know how to manufacture a good rifle. I serviced enough original Colt M16's and 1911's in the Army to know quality when I see it in the civilian market, and Windham has it. The package they put together for less than $850 is impressive to say the least. Don't forget that Ruger and Glock were once "start-ups" too.
Ruger P-90 .45 ACP
Ruger LCP .380 ACP
Beretta U22 Neos .22LR
...and a few others

Old 02-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #20
Old Timer

Member #: 42730
Congrats on the new AR. Get some pics up! yeah just clean it once and shoot the piss out of it. Get a few hundred rounds downrange before you clean it again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
chameleon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

barrel, break-in, chrome, windham

Search tags for this page
cleaning windham src weapon
hbc windom review
windham carbon fiber ar 15 review
windham carbon fiber ar-15 review
windham hbc review
windham src accuracy reports
windham weaponary barrels
windham weaponry ar15 chrome lined barrel breakin procedure?
windham weaponry break in

windham weaponry hbc

windham weaponry r16m4a4t review
windham weaponry src carbon lite ar15
Click on a term to search for related topics.