• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

My First AR

This is a discussion on My First AR within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Good evening everyone. I am planning to buy my first AR within the next three weeks. I have been looking around off and on for ...

Old 01-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 68896
My First AR

Good evening everyone. I am planning to buy my first AR within the next three weeks. I have been looking around off and on for several months trying to find good deals. I have looked around at Rock River Arms, Bushmaster, and Del-Ton primarily. My limit is $1,000 including shipping and FFL. Here are some more details:

• FFL cost is $20 with a local individual I have used previously when buying pistols (leaving $980 obviously to work with).
  • My main concern is that it can handle 5.56 (and .223 as well).
  • I'm mainly looking at Del-Ton, Carbine Rifle.
  • If anyone has ordered from DTI before, did you have to wait 4-6 weeks as advised on the website? Is there another place I can order online that's quicker?
  • Since this rifle does not have a rear sight I plan to get a Danial Defense A1.5 fixed sight with it.
I believe that is all... Sorry if its long but a lot of posts leave out details so I wanted to be thorough. Let me know if you need to know more. Im just looking for opinions backed by experience. Thank you and happy shooting!
AequitasVeritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 6815
You might want to look at Palmetto State Armory when you get a minute. They're running some good deals on complete uppers and rifle kits and are supposed to be excellent quality.

I picked up a stripper lower from them a few months ago when they were running a sale and I was impressed.

Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts, Bulk Ammo and Rifle Accessories - Palmetto State Armory

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 32882
Del-Ton makes a good rifle...I would also check with PSA (Since they are only an hour and a half up the road from us....)

Oh and welcome to the site JS.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
  • Harrington & Richardson Model 088 Shotgun
  • Del-Ton 16" carbine AR-15

Luke 22:36

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
Shaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Good idea. I checked the website and found this upper build:

16'' Hammer Forged Mid-Length Mock Dissipator Rifle Kit - Rifle Kits - AR-15

What would I need as far as a lower? This might be a better alternative. It is close to me and shipping is cheap either way.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Their own lowers are nice. They go on sale from time to time for $50; which really can't be beat. Otherwise any lower you can afford with a roll mark you like will work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Old 01-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

I see. So if I bought the receiver I linked down below with the previous upper, would that be all I would need? I didn't plan on building my own but this seems like a much better deal.

PSA AR15 Lower - Lower Receivers - Lower Parts - AR-15
Old 01-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AequitasVeritas View Post
Good idea. I checked the website and found this upper build:

16'' Hammer Forged Mid-Length Mock Dissipator Rifle Kit - Rifle Kits - AR-15

What would I need as far as a lower? This might be a better alternative. It is close to me and shipping is cheap either way.
PSA makes good lowers; from time to time they will run a $49.00 lower special (the next time I run across this deal I will be picking up at least two and hang on to them for future build projects). But $79 for a lower is not bad.

Palmetto State Armory usually always shows up at all gun shows in Charleston and they will more than likely be there at the local gun show in February:

Spike's Tactical also has good lowers. They have a pretty long waiting list as well but I wouldn't pass them up. On my current build I have the "Punisher" Spikes lower and they are around $99.

Spikes lowers

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
Old 01-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AequitasVeritas View Post
I see. So if I bought the receiver I linked down below with the previous upper, would that be all I would need? I didn't plan on building my own but this seems like a much better deal.

PSA AR15 Lower - Lower Receivers - Lower Parts - AR-15

Yeah, the rifle kit should come with everything you need except a stripped lower and a rear sight.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Very nice indeed. I might go with this approach instead of a DTI MOE. It's cheaper too. Anything I should take into consideration with building it vs buying one already? The price difference alone is a huge selling point for me.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Here is a good site (with videos) for those whom are new to building AR's...
There plenty other good sites but this one has step by step videos which are helpful.

DIY AR-15 Build: Intdo...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

ar15, del-ton

Search tags for this page

bcm upper on cmmg lower

bcm vs cmmg
bcm vs psa upper
black rifle arms vs. bcm upper ar 15
cmmg lower with bcm upper

cmmg vs colt

colt sp6920 vs. delton dt sport

colt vs delton
del ton sport review
del-ton dissipator carbine kit ar-15

del-ton dt sport review

delton dt sport review

delton vs colt

delton vs psa

good first ar

psa vs colt

Click on a term to search for related topics.