• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

FDE paint samples

This is a discussion on FDE paint samples within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Hey all, Painting a few of my pmags, flashlight mount and EOTech hood and wanted to share my experience. Decided to use rattle can for ...

Old 01-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39350
FDE paint samples

Hey all,

Painting a few of my pmags, flashlight mount and EOTech hood and wanted to share my experience. Decided to use rattle can for now, since I have a FDE duracoat project planned for about 8 months down the line I will re-do it all at once. I have a SCAR in FDE which we all know the SCAR is about 4 different colors of FDE, so it doesn't really matter what color you use.

The two different colors are Krylon Dark Taupe (left) and Krylon Camo Khaki (right) first is a color test strip, second is a few black plastic parts sprayed.

First impression with the test paper was that the Khaki was a direct match for the Magpul furniture and really close to the FNH polymer stock, while the Dark Taupe was a close match to the FNH lower (also polymer).

After painting a few misc magpul black pieces, you can see that the Khaki is too light to be useful for this project, and the Dark Taupe is a better match.

Pics of finished project to come.

YMMV

-Tim

GeorgiaCarry.org Member
National Rifle Association Member
jeepnuts311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Used the Dark Taupe to paint the hood of the EoTech and the Viking Tactics Flashlight mount. You can see on the Vtac mount that the color of the Dark Taupe paint turned out to be an exact match for whatever brand FDE rail covers I have on the front. The EoTech hood matches very closely to the magpul FDE and the FN stock, Although in the picture it looks lighter.

-Tim

GeorgiaCarry.org Member
Old 01-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 40901
That looks great! Good looking rifle there!

I love the way the SCARs are different types of FDE - actually the uppers on SCAR 16S are a kind of Olive Drab which really appeals to me.

Just my opinion but that sticker has to come off!
Old 01-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goretro77 View Post
That looks great! Good looking rifle there!

I love the way the SCARs are different types of FDE - actually the uppers on SCAR 16S are a kind of Olive Drab which really appeals to me.

I hated the SCAR at first. Though it was ugly with a fish tail and hated how it was like 4 different shades of FDE out of the box. After a while I fell in love with it, and I think its a work of art. After handling one, I love the balance of the gun.

You recently posted in my thread about the 1-4x camo scope I bought for the SCAR. I did not like the balance of the rifle after the addition of the scope, hence why I painted the EoTech and switched back to the holo sight.

I traded the Scope/pepr combo for all new FDE furniture for the AR, a handful of FDE pmags, and a New BCM carry handle.

Gotta admit, I had BRD before, but the SCAR made me fall in love with FDE. Now I have twins. Sorry for the iphone pic.

-Tim

GeorgiaCarry.org Member
Old 01-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 33778
Thanks for sharing the pics. I'm in search of a paint color or possibly duracoat/cerakote that matches the upper on the scar. Have you seen anything that comes close to it?

I wanted to paint the lower rail, side rails and my PWS rail extension to match the upper.

TRUST8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Nice looking firearm. How hard was that pws extension to install? Also, how heavy? I am really picky about weight, but looking to get the flashlight further forward by about 1"

I haven't found a closer paint color yet, looking for "oregano" which I heard was a little darker with a shade of green.

My flashlight mount (polymer) turned out nicer than the eotech hood, which took a light gloss. I will probably wet sand it to see if that will dull it. The gloss makes it look lighter than it is, it's a close match to the stock.

-Tim

GeorgiaCarry.org Member
Old 01-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Ended up pulling the eotech back off and painting it again, I didnt like how it took a little bit of shine even though the paint is satin.

I sanded it down competely, and put a few light coats down, but when I got to the final two coats I put on a light coat by spritzing the paint on, and then baking the hood in the oven on 190* for 10 minutes between coats. this made the paint dry quickly and kept a little bit more texture. There is not a noticeable difference in pics, but it is more pleasing to the (my) eye.

If you try this, just keep in mind that this is not a hard coating, its just paint.

After a day at the range, between hanging out in the range bag with its AR brother, leaning up against tables and posts, it got a tiny bit of wear on the hood, with a little black showing through, but i think the "used" look looks better. :thumbsup:

-Tim

GeorgiaCarry.org Member
Old 01-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 33778
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnuts311 View Post
Nice looking firearm. How hard was that pws extension to install? Also, how heavy? I am really picky about weight, but looking to get the flashlight further forward by about 1"

I haven't found a closer paint color yet, looking for "oregano" which I heard was a little darker with a shade of green.

My flashlight mount (polymer) turned out nicer than the eotech hood, which took a light gloss. I will probably wet sand it to see if that will dull it. The gloss makes it look lighter than it is, it's a close match to the stock.

-Tim
Thanks man. The PWS rail is pretty straight forward as far as install is concerned. You are right about weight though. I'm used to my 10.5" SBR which is light already compared to a SCAR. Add on optics, a light, and the PWS rail (7.9 oz) and she starts to get a little heavy.

You know, I always thought the scar upper was tan/gold until I looked at it in day light next to my od green bag, and the upper looks green! (ish) lol So I guess oregano is a pretty good description.

The color is so weird. I think it shifts depending on light.

Here's my FDE AR's next to my SCAR and they all look brownish.

SCAR by itself, and it looks oregano? ha

Good luck with the painting. I'm thinking I might let a buddy of mine mix up some stuff and duracoat it.
TRUST8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:18 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

I took my fenix light off my scar when I cleaning it yesterday and now I can't put it back on because of the weight. I dont know when I turned into a weight snob but now I can't get myself to trade weight for all the tacticool things I used to need. Id never be happy with a half pound extra rail up front. Thanks for the reply

Your sbr is sweet btw. Judging by the pic, the eotech that it's wearing looks the same color as my newly rattle canned optic, first pic up top.

-Tim

GeorgiaCarry.org Member
Old 01-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goretro77 View Post
Once I realized that the sticker was applied crooked from the factory it drove me nuts for about 18 seconds and I removed it.

_Tim

GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

Search tags for this page
can i paint my pistol light fde
cerakote fn scar
close spray paint to magpul fde
duracoat scar
dye or aint to match magpul fde

fde paint

fde spray paint
how to turn my fn scar in fde to black
krylon fde
magpul fde duracoat doesnt match
magpul fde paint
painting eotech
scar duracoat
scar fde color difference
scar fde colors
seg stl-300 paint to fde
Click on a term to search for related topics.