• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

total newbie to ARs, need your help

This is a discussion on total newbie to ARs, need your help within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; attempting my first build already bought: spikes forged lower spikes enhanced lower kit spikes buffer assembly magpul str stock now im working on the upper ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » total newbie to ARs, need your help

Old 01-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 67030
total newbie to ARs, need your help

attempting my first build

already bought:
spikes forged lower
spikes enhanced lower kit
spikes buffer assembly
magpul str stock

now im working on the upper and i didnt know if i should:
1. go forged [$115] or billet [$225] for the upper receiver
2. go forged [$23] or billet [$33] charging handle
3. go standard phosphate [$110] or NiB [$220] bcg
4. go chrome lined barrel [$189] or lothar walther stainless barrel w/ mid length gas [$330]
**and is the gas piston really worth the extra $$$

i'm on a tight leash when it comes to the money but i also don't mind spending a little extra on the things that might benefit me later down the line. i don't plan on selling any of my guns so i want to make sure that they don't belly up on me a few years down the line.

so please, all your wisdom, experience, and input would be much appreciated. thanks again!
basheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 53130
1. Forged - stronger and standard
2. Whatever you want. Not much difference. BCM gunfighter is nice, but easily changed later.
3. NiB is awesome. Your choice though. If you clean and lube properly there isn't a lot of difference. NiB cleans a bit easier and needs less lube. Consider though that you can replace the whole thing again if ever needed for the price of NiB. Also easily changeable later.
4. Chrome lined will last longer. The Lothar Walther will be more accurate. Do you want a run and gun carbine with tons of rounds, or an in place longer range AR. Both have their place in my rotation.

If you want a piston AR, buy one off the shelf, don't build one. The conversion kits have their own set of issues. Unless you loathe cleaning, my opinion is to DI. Piston is an afterthought on the AR, and IMO is a solution looking for a problem.
Jayock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
XDTalk Newbie

thanks for the awesome feedback!
i think im leaning towards NiB for the bcg just because i hear that the action is smoother and usually last longer than its phosphate predecessor.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 68481
IMO
1.Forged
2.Billet
3.Standard
4.Chrome Lined

Quote:
Originally Posted by basheesh View Post

already bought:
spikes forged lower
spikes buffer assembly
magpul str stock

4. go chrome lined barrel [$189] or lothar walther stainless barrel w/ mid length gas [$330]

i'm on a tight leash when it comes to the money but i also don't mind spending a little extra on the things that might benefit me later down the line. i don't plan on selling any of my guns so i want to make sure that they don't belly up on me a few years down the line.

so please, all your wisdom, experience, and input would be much appreciated. thanks again!
Old 01-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron89 View Post
IMO
1.Forged
2.Billet
3.Standard
4.Chrome Lined
thanks ron, exactly what i was thinking.

any thoughts on the gas piston or di?
Old 01-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 36486
Direct Impingement. You are not going to be shooting full atuo or thousands of rounds a week. Have at least a H3 buffer, an extra power buffer spring, and run it wet and you'll have no problems. Just make sure your upper has M4 feed ramps.

I'm all for Ron Paul

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin
misfit-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 32882
I just purchase a NiB BCG from Spike's....I have done quite a bit of reading on the Nickel-Boron coating and the military is actually looking at this coating from what I have read. Supposedly the NiB coating is harder than the steel it is coated on and disipates heat much faster and has self lubricating properties...OH and cleans up much easier...

Here is one of the articles I read on NiB coating:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
  • Harrington & Richardson Model 088 Shotgun
  • Del-Ton 16" carbine AR-15

Luke 22:36

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
Shaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 32876
I just finished a build with the spikes enhanced lpk and nickel boron bcg. Love it
"I know the urge to arm yourself, because thatís what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995
Uriel999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 68530
Quote:
Originally Posted by basheesh View Post

already bought:
spikes forged lower
spikes buffer assembly
magpul str stock

While Billet is stronger it is not all that necessary. I have several AR's and none are billet.
I have both types of BCG and they both run good but the NiB shows less wear on it after heavy abuse.
As for te gas piston. It is a somewhat cleaner running system. It will also keep the BCG from getting hot even on a full auto. But I have an AR chambered in 7.62x39 and we all know that that can be some of the dirtiest ammo out there. 4000+ rounds and no issues yet.
Welcome to the AR world and have fun with it.
spearfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 32882
Actually in most cases, forged uppers and lowers are stronger than billet...there are some billet receivers that are just as strong as forged but you will pay $$$ for it. Billet, however, tends to have much better contoured lines or a more exotic profile... but you really can't go wrong with either; as long as your upper and lower receiver come together nicely and you don't have any slop between the two....

• Harrington & Richardson Model 088 Shotgun
  • Del-Ton 16" carbine AR-15

Luke 22:36

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
Shaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

ar-15, ar15, build, first build

Search tags for this page

bcm gunfighter forged

does spikes or lothar walther make the spikes lothar walther barrels
gas piston ar 7.62x39

lothar walther barrel review

lothar walther reviews
nib-x barrel review

spike lower receiver review

spikes forged lower
spikes forged lower receiver?
spikes forged lower review
spikes lothar walther barrel

spikes lothar walther barrel review

spikes lothar walther stainless barrel review

spikes lower receiver review

spikes lower review

stainless steel spikes lothar walther barrel review
Click on a term to search for related topics.