• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

AR Melting Pot

This is a discussion on AR Melting Pot within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I am relatively new to the AR platform in use. I have familiarized myself with it, but never owned one. Now I am in the ...

Old 01-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 68478
AR Melting Pot

I am relatively new to the AR platform in use. I have familiarized myself with it, but never owned one. Now I am in the market. I have a couple questions, but first I would like to say that I know there are hundreds of different choices of AR from a long list of companies and that there are several companies that make very high quality equipment. I also know accessories, calibers, uppers, lowers, mounts, rails, reviews, and prices from each manufacturer and owner cover the board. Danial Defense, LMT, Bushmaster, and Colt are the top companies Iím looking at. DDís V1 Carbine, Bushmasters SuperLite Carbine, LMTís Defender and Coltís Sporter are the specifics I like.

Is the DD V1 worth the $1500 vs. the Bushmaster SuperLite at around $1200? I am looking for your opinions. What youíve liked and disliked. Iím open to any input and guidance. I want the best product for my money and would like to hear your experiences. Thanks for the input.
gonzo1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 9014
You can find a Colt, DD, or BCM(bravocompany) for about or under $1K. Stay away from BM. For the money you are getting a much better rifle(s) than BM, Olympic, Spike's(yeah I said it , RRA.

Colt
Colt AR6720 Lightweight Carbine at G&R Tactical

BCM
BCM 16" Lightweight Mid-Length Rifle at G&R Tactical

DD for $1200
Daniel Defense XV M4 Carbine (OUT OF STOCK) at G&R Tactical
Old 01-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 32876
Lmt, bravo company and spikes not in any particular order are my favorites. They are all I buy from. I have 5 ar15s and one complete lower awaiting its upper. Spikes is the bet bang for your buck, lmt has an amazing product with a reputation to back it up. Bcm not only has one of the best if not the best products out there but also has some of the best customer service out there. I cannot speak for those other brands, but their reputations does lend credence to their quality. I would skip bushmaster though. They pretty much suck nowadays compared to other offerings.
"I know the urge to arm yourself, because thatís what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995
Uriel999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28247
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo1029 View Post
I am relatively new to the AR platform in use. I have familiarized myself with it, but never owned one. Now I am in the market. I have a couple questions, but first I would like to say that I know there are hundreds of different choices of AR from a long list of companies and that there are several companies that make very high quality equipment. I also know accessories, calibers, uppers, lowers, mounts, rails, reviews, and prices from each manufacturer and owner cover the board. Danial Defense, LMT, Bushmaster, and Colt are the top companies I’m looking at. DD’s V1 Carbine, Bushmasters SuperLite Carbine, LMT’s Defender and Colt’s Sporter are the specifics I like.

Is the DD V1 worth the $1500 vs. the Bushmaster SuperLite at around $1200? I am looking for your opinions. What you’ve liked and disliked. I’m open to any input and guidance. I want the best product for my money and would like to hear your experiences. Thanks for the input.
I'm not sure where you're shopping, but those prices are aweful high. You should be able to find the DD for around $12-1300, and as stated above, I wouldn't own a Bushy, much less pay $1200 for one.

I currently or have previously owned LMT, DD, BCM, Colt, PSA and Stag rifles or uppers. I would recommend all, but the Stag, with which I had lots of feeding problems. The PSAs I have are both backup/loaner rifles for the kids or friends. The rest are all top quality rifles I would trust in any situation. Of these four, DD, LMT, BCM, and Colt, take your pick based on what features you want, and go with the best price. The links already provided are a good start.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 68478
Thanks for all the input so far!! Fdxpilot I'm shopping in Kansas. Sadly no one actually deals in DD where I live so I'm going off the prices on their website. I had looked at BCM for a bit so thanks for the heads up about their worth. My number one choice has been the DD V1 Carbine. I like the look and features. Another question I have is about the uppers. Several companies have different caliber uppers for sale.
If I want to change my DD V1 to shoot 6.8 SPC do I just have to purchase the upper and new magazines, or is there quite a bit if gunsmith work involved?
Thanks again and I'll keep this post updated on what I find out and actually purchase. Thanks again!
gonzo1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
Old Timer

Member #: 24504
You know for the price of that DD V1 you could get yourself a DPMS Mini-SASS... just sayin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"Gun-Free Zones" are shooting ranges for the criminally insane.
"Know this: Killin' is my business, Ladies, and business IS GOOOOOD!" -Major Payne

When someone says they are a retired operator, i think Corporate Accounts Payable, Nina speaking... JUST a moment.
Knightslugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28247
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo1029 View Post
Thanks for all the input so far!! Fdxpilot I'm shopping in Kansas. Sadly no one actually deals in DD where I live so I'm going off the prices on their website. I had looked at BCM for a bit so thanks for the heads up about their worth. My number one choice has been the DD V1 Carbine. I like the look and features. Another question I have is about the uppers. Several companies have different caliber uppers for sale.
If I want to change my DD V1 to shoot 6.8 SPC do I just have to purchase the upper and new magazines, or is there quite a bit if gunsmith work involved?
Thanks again and I'll keep this post updated on what I find out and actually purchase. Thanks again!
Much like autos, a rifle manufacturers website will list the MSRP, while local or internet dealers will sell it for much less. here is a link I found for anM4V1

Daniel Defense M4 Carbine 223 W/Omega X Rail Handguard & Grip - Impact Guns

I really like Daniels, I have a rifle that is equivalent to an M4V5 LW. I say equivalent because I ordered the upper and lower separate, but they are the same parts as an V5 with a lightweight barrel.

As to different uppers, to swap to a 6.8, you will need an upper with a bolt, and some new 6.8SPC magazines. Pull the takedown and pivot pins, remove the old upper and insert the new on, and you're good to go. About the only adjustment you might have to make is a different weight buffer. That's the way I started in 6.8 ARs. Now I have one dedicated 6.8SPC hunting AR and another upper. (However, due to the PSA New Years $50 lower sale, I'm now building lowers for all my separate uppers. Black Rifle Disease is incurable.) Some calibers don't even need a new bolt or mags, like the new .300BK, which crams a .30 cal bullet into a 5.56 cartridge.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

ar-15, bushmaster, colt, danial defense, lmt

Search tags for this page
6720 vs 6920
ar6720 review
ar6720 reviews
colt 6720 accuracy

colt 6720 review

colt 6720 vs 6920
colt 6920 vs 6720
colt 6920 vs bcm
colt ar6720
colt ar6720 accuracy
colt ar6720 carbine reviews
colt ar6720 or le6720

colt ar6720 review

colt ar6720 reviews

colt sp6920 review
dd v1 vs colt ccr
Click on a term to search for related topics.