• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

AR 15 vs Ruger Gunsite vs M1A SOCOM

This is a discussion on AR 15 vs Ruger Gunsite vs M1A SOCOM within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I've been looking at these 3 rifles for some time and wanted to get some feedback. I like the idea of the compact practical rifle ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » AR 15 vs Ruger Gunsite vs M1A SOCOM

Old 12-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
JTS
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 66597
AR 15 vs Ruger Gunsite vs M1A SOCOM

I've been looking at these 3 rifles for some time and wanted to get some feedback. I like the idea of the compact practical rifle that is easy to carry but still preforms well down range. Pretty much the rifle Jeff Cooper advocated for. Since that's where I got the idea I feel like the Ruger is the obvious choice but I'm not sold on the bolt action.

I would either purchase the Ruger or M1A or build an AR in .308. Anyone with any experience shooting these? Anyone know why Ruger and the folks at Gunsite settled on a bolt action?

Anyone have experience with a .308 in an AR platform? I feel like this would be the lightest gun of the three and I would think the recoil would be stout.

Thanks,
JTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55528
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS View Post
I've been looking at these 3 rifles for some time and wanted to get some feedback. I like the idea of the compact practical rifle that is easy to carry but still preforms well down range. Pretty much the rifle Jeff Cooper advocated for. Since that's where I got the idea I feel like the Ruger is the obvious choice but I'm not sold on the bolt action.

I would either purchase the Ruger or M1A or build an AR in .308. Anyone with any experience shooting these? Anyone know why Ruger and the folks at Gunsite settled on a bolt action?

Anyone have experience with a .308 in an AR platform? I feel like this would be the lightest gun of the three and I would think the recoil would be stout.

Thanks,
I'll throw my .02 in even though I only have an AR in .223/5.56 at this point. A bolt action is a tried and true technology. It's been around longer than the AR platform has and has shown to be reliable.
As for the .308 round, it too has been around a while and has shown to be reliable, depending on what you need/want it for. While there are newer/better rounds out there, you will generally find more out there in the .308.
I think the Ruger ir M1A might be lighter than the AR, but the AR has the better ability to be further customized. It all comes down to personal perference.

Home-built LH AR15:
Stag Arms LH flat top Upper
Del-Ton 5.56 Lower
YHM 16" Fluted barrel
YHM Phantom Compensator/muzzle brake
RRA FF Advanced Half Quad Rail
Phase 5 Ambi bolt release
Magpul MIAD, CTR stock, MBUS
TruGlo Tru-Brite Open Red-Dot Sight

184 Series Ruger Mini-14
ATI Stock
Eagle Industries barrel shroud
John Masen muzzle brake

Ruger LC9
Galloway trigger kit
XDJSR33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 62166
When Stoner was building the AR platform it was originally made to replace the M14 or the M1A(not 100% which one) thus being .308 caliber...The only .308s I have fired was my RRA lar-8, Remington 700 and the Fal, out of all those the recoil on the Ar was most manageable, BUT you mentioned the M1A which I am a huge fan of..although I have never fired one it is next on my list and I know that it is tried and true and a very accurate platform...Hard choice but if I were in your shoes I'd go M1A but its all about your personal preference and what it's going to be used for.
mficare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
XDTalk Member

Member #: 62055
You really ought to stop that nonsense thinking and go w/ option 4.

Option 4 would be the venerable Bersa Thunder plus, in black with a 15 round clip capacity. all black for the tacticool image we all seek and loaded with OO shot shells, I dare anyone to counter this!
ArcRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 64083
Well first of all it's a magazine not a "clip". Second he wants accuracy down range 00 buck will not work for that.

The AR or the M1a would be my choice but only because of the semi-auto factor. More shots on target faster. IMHO
Old 12-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 62415
my choice would definitely be the M1A Socom only because i really want one lol.
Henry Golden Boy 22lr
Desert Eagle XIX 44mag
Smith and Wesson 500. 4" barrel
bigjoe5434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 9014
An AR-10 is the most modular of the platforms. If you want a 7.62mm rifle, that would be the way to go.

You really need to be dedicated to the M14/M1A platform if you go that route.

Neither route is cheap, but the AR is more user friendly when it comes to maintaince, cleaning, swapping out parts, etc.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 64872
So with regards to your bolt action question the reasons to get a bolt action:

1) More reliable. Any action you activate with your muscles is more reliable than an auto. Reason is it is very hard for something to jam to the point you can't extract it. Just put some more muscle in to working the action.

2) Cheaper/more simple. Two sides of the same coin. A bolt action is dead simple, and hence costs less to make. Always a nice feature.

3) More accurate. This is why you'll find them on some sniper rifles. Since the action stays solid until you move it, and you don't move it until after the shot is completely clear of the barrel, it improves accuracy a bit. Now this isn't to say autos can't be very accurate, but a bolt action is still the gold standard.

The reason not to get one? Well that's easy: firing rate. Since you have to work the action each time you shoot, your rate of fire will be a lot lower than if you have semi auto and just have to push the trigger.

In terms of what to get I can't help you much as I haven't thought much on a 7.62 rifle yet. However I have to say if I was to look at a bolt action one, a Remington 700 would be on the list for sure.

If I were looking at a semi-auto I'd give a look at the SIG716 since I like my SIG516 and also probably an FN SCAR-17. I'd probably look at an M1A too since hey, I like my XDm after all .
Sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 66064
I own a Socom 16 & a Dpms AR LRT-Sass both 7.62x51. Both shoot very well no probs out of either running cheap brass. I don't think you could go wrong w/any of the 3 choices. AR is a little heavier gun. My next purchase will be the Ruger Scout rifle though.
richeyo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
I like the SOCOM, but it is old technology. The AR is a natural as there are so many parts & mags for them. The bolt action will always work, they are very dependable & accuarcy is usually better than any non match semiauto. So it just depends on what you want it for. All will killl zombies, all will punch paper. Buy one of each, then you don;t have to make such silly decisions.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

ar 15, gunsite, jeff cooper, m1a, ruger

Search tags for this page
ar15 vs ruger gunsite scout
dpms gen 2 vs s&w m&p10 vs ruger gsr
gunsite scout rifle vs ar10
m1a socom
ruger gsr vs ar10

ruger gunsite scout rifle vs socom m1a

ruger gunsite scout vs ar 15

ruger gunsite scout vs m1a

ruger scout rifle vs ar 15
ruger scout rifle vs socom 16
ruger scout vs ar 10
ruger sr-762 versus the gunsight scout
springfield armory socom 16 vs ruger sr 762
springfield m1a socom 2 vs ar-15
springfield m1a vs ruger gunsite scout
Click on a term to search for related topics.