• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

AR 15 vs Ruger Gunsite vs M1A SOCOM

This is a discussion on AR 15 vs Ruger Gunsite vs M1A SOCOM within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; MINI 14 tac Bushnell red dot... Soon to be Aimpoint 9000SC...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » AR 15 vs Ruger Gunsite vs M1A SOCOM

Old 12-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #11
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 53001
MINI 14 tac
Bushnell red dot... Soon to be Aimpoint 9000SC
Magog is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #12
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 55822
I would personally go with the Ruger Gunsite Rifle. Good all-purpose rifle. Not a go to war gun, not a dedicated deer rifle, but a great all around rifle. A .308 will kill pretty much anything you need it to kill.

DONT TREAD ON ME!
TBS1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 39767
Having shot both the M1A and the AR 10, I like the M1A better as far as shooting and recoil control.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #14
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 54278
I have been having this argument in my head fire awhile. Love the Ruger scout, love the AR platform, and I live the m1a as far as looks and history. I think one other option you should throw in is the Ruger mini 14 in 6.8spc.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
XDTalk Member

Member #: 65772
Want .308 I'd go DPMS AP4. For the price you can shoot it and not worry about messing up your safe queen. It's accurate, proven, has P mags available for it, and DPMS will stand behind their rifles. If you ball, Knights SR-25 or LWRC Repr. To me if I could spend what I want I'd get a DSA FAL Para Congo. Sure it's not a OMG SCAR-17, but it's battle proven, accurate enough, and works.

For myself, I want an accurate reliable beater. But, it's what you want and can obtain.
Fig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 7595
Its really a personal choice, any of them will perform well in various roles, the Semi autos will have an edge in a fight, but not to the exclusion of a good bolt gun if you adjust your tactics accordingly.
The GSR wins in long term reliability, (especially under poor maintenance conditions) and lighter weight.

With that said, I have 2 of the 3 you mention (Ruger GSR and M1A) have done both tactical type stuff and hunting with both, for everyday stuff, my GSR gets the nod easily. What it loses in speed of follow up shots to the M1A, it makes up for in weight and maneuverability. I would also rather have it in a long term survival situation with poor or little gun maintenance being expected. Also of my two specific examples, the GSR is quite a bit more accurate, but both shoot tighter groups than I do under practical shooting drills.

My Ruger GSR is pretty much my current general purpose go to gun, so Ill concentrate on it as there are fewer folks with alot of experience with them.

I bought mine through gunbroker when they first came out and have been impressed with it from day one. I have put a JP Brake on mine, free floated the bbl, glass bedded it and lightened up the trigger. It'll hold well under an inch all day long with ammo it likes, is very soft shooting with the brake (but very very loud, I may take the brake back off as Im not sure its worth the trade off under hunting conditions when you may not get an ear plug in.) Also I can carry it in one hand all day while trekking about, or sling it on a shoulder and not even notice it for the most part.

I use a forward mounted, 2x-7x Scope on mine as is true to the scout concept. This makes for fast shots in brush at low power and good accuracy for longer shots on more distant game when more magnification is desired.

I recently returned from a Texas hunt that I used it exclusively on. You will see it in action on an upcoming episode of "Ruger's Hunting Adventures" Television. Ruger did not pay nor reimburse me in any way for my use of that rifle for that show and did not even know that is what I was bringing until the day before travel.

Here's some pics and comments.

Accuracy:

When I first bought it, box stock with PPU Match ammo

After bedding and trigger job, not much tighter but held the group for more rounds, more consistent

Original configuration

With JP brake and 5 round mag, one stock spacer removed

Game Taken so far

Lil doe at 145 Yds, from a rested position, longest live kill with this gun to date

( different brake, didnt like that one)

Javelina at 50-60 yds:

Feral hog in brush at 70ish yds
( nice lil sow, she'll be good eatin)

Very nice buck at about 80yds

Although you ask about rifles intended for different primary missions, if I had to choose from those and rely on ONE of them to serve my real world needs, it'd be the GSR hands down.

Prov 21:15,16
When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers.

Whoever strays from the path of prudence comes to rest in the company of the dead.

mtcraigco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #17
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 65226
Heck I'm off all week so I might as well comment on this one also...
( I'm not an expert but I currently own the following rifles stag 5.56, DPMS LR308 , and an older bolt action M77 in 308 )

I really , really like the AR platform ( borderline obsessive according to my spousal unit )
It offers modular platform that is easy to plug and play with different barrels , stocks , ...endless options )
However , I love the M77 bolt gun ( I have also owned & shot 243 bolt gun ) M77 are easy to adjust trigger and older models from late 80s early 90s have pretty good triggers ... Bolt guns are lighter and easy to shoot and do not require lots of mods to shoot very well --- I am going to sell my older M77 and throw a few extra bucks down for a gunsight scout as soon as I'm able. I have been waiting for the craze on this weapon to die down , but Ruger has done something special with this rifle.
Also in research I have also found that savage is looking at the immense demand for this type and already has their version ready to go ...this should help demand settle for the Ruger
Not sure if I helped , but just general rambling I guess

It all started for me with a daisy Red Ryder BB gun - not kidding a bit

2012 Ron Paul lets have some real change ...

Take somebody shooting -I like to infect other people with my disease
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
RedRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #18
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 63917
Does anybody know where Gunsite scouts are in stock? I can't seem to find one anywhere, the gunshop i go to says his distributors are out as well.
3rdgeargrndrr is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

ar 15, gunsite, jeff cooper, m1a, ruger

Search tags for this page
ar 15 vs ruger scout
ruger gunsite scout or ar15

ruger gunsite scout rifle vs socom m1a

ruger gunsite scout vs ar 15

ruger gunsite scout vs ar-15

ruger gunsite vs m1a

ruger scout vs ar 10

ruger scout vs ar15

socom 16 vs ruger scout

springfield armory socom 16 vs ruger sr 762
springfield m1a or ruger gunsite scout
springfield socom vs ruger scout 308
Click on a term to search for related topics.