• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Olympic (ar-15) oly p.c.r 98

This is a discussion on Olympic (ar-15) oly p.c.r 98 within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I just acquired a Olympic AR15 model P.C.R 98.....ok first off this seems like a decent AR. It was in pieces , I got no ...

Old 11-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 65226
Thumbs down Olympic (ar-15) oly p.c.r 98

I just acquired a Olympic AR15 model P.C.R 98.....ok first off this seems like a decent AR. It was in pieces , I got no handguard , no mags , no flash hider

Original owner bought some magpul goodies shortly after purchasing it ( shot a few hundred rounds at most ) and promptly broke the trigger guard mounting pin while trying to remove it . He put it away for several years , sold the mags and magpul goodies over time ––-any long story short I got a project now
Finish Aluminum had started to fade? Or oxidize ? Gun was so dry and showed no signs of lubrication in a very long time ( arid extra dry anybody ?)

This is a fixed stock A2 carry handle and front sight , 20" barrel in 223/5.56mm - barrel appears very thick until the gas block then has an HBAR profile
Muzzle has no threads but has a groove cut in barrel about 1/4 inch back ––only has 556 stamped on it
Upper has fixed carry handle and forward assist
Appears to be a carbine length gas system ( not really sure )

Okay enough blah blah ....
1. Opinions on this rifle -prefer somebody That owns one or has owned one - if you own one tell me about it
2 one ear of trigger guard is broke on grip side clean break - ideas ??
3. Finish is kinda weathered looking ....dura coat ? What other finishes can be applied via something more durable than a rattle can of krylon ( not that there is anything wrong with this option)

I'm looking for ideas on my new project

It all started for me with a daisy Red Ryder BB gun - not kidding a bit

2012 Ron Paul lets have some real change ...

Take somebody shooting -I like to infect other people with my disease
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
RedRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-19-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 11014
My replies in red so I dont' miss anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
I just acquired a Olympic AR15 model P.C.R 98.....ok first off this seems like a decent AR. It was in pieces , I got no handguard , no mags , no flash hider

With the model being a PCR 98, that simply means that it has forged aluminum receivers and was built during the assault weapons ban. The model specifically is the PCR (politically correct rifle); 1998 was the year it was produced.

That would explain the post ban (non-threaded) barrel and fixed stock because during that timeframe, it was illegal to sell an AR15 (errr, assualt rifle to the Democrat idiots) that had a collapsible buttstock and threaded barrel, and bayonet lug to a mere mortal civilian.

It is completely legal to have the barrel threaded or replaced for a newer one now, and you can also put any of the "evil" features on it that you would like (as long as your state laws allow).

I don't know what finish someone put on it after it left the factory, but it would've originally been hardcoat anodized.

Original owner bought some magpul goodies shortly after purchasing it ( shot a few hundred rounds at most ) and promptly broke the trigger guard mounting pin while trying to remove it .

Bummer the original owner FUBAR'd it. Sounds like somebody didn't support the receiver when they were beating on it with a hammer to replace the original trigger guard with a magpul winter trigger guard.

Broken ears, while are not terribly common, can and do happen when you screw around and don't follow correct procedure.

If you happen to have the broken ear, you could probably tig weld it back. Although refinishing it after the fact would probably be a given if you went that route.

That would probably be your only real option, short of replacing the lower receiver.

He put it away for several years , sold the mags and magpul goodies over time ––-any long story short I got a project now
Finish Aluminum had started to fade? Or oxidize ? Gun was so dry and showed no signs of lubrication in a very long time ( arid extra dry anybody ?)

This is a fixed stock A2 carry handle and front sight , 20" barrel in 223/5.56mm - barrel appears very thick until the gas block then has an HBAR profile
Muzzle has no threads but has a groove cut in barrel about 1/4 inch back ––only has 556 stamped on it
Upper has fixed carry handle and forward assist
Appears to be a carbine length gas system ( not really sure ).

If it has a 20 inch barrel, it would almost certainly be a rifle length gas system.

And if it's marked 556, then you could shoot .223 and 5.56 out of it and it would be a 1:9 twist rate.

Okay enough blah blah ....
1. Opinions on this rifle -prefer somebody That owns one or has owned one - if you own one tell me about it

I've owned numerous Olympic AR's. They get a lot of flack from some folks on the internet, but they've performed well for me. I'm a shooter, not a collector.

You can find a world of info about it at oa2.org

2 one ear of trigger guard is broke on grip side clean break - ideas ??

See above.

3. Finish is kinda weathered looking ....dura coat ? What other finishes can be applied via something more durable than a rattle can of krylon ( not that there is anything wrong with this option)

Norrell's Moly, KG GunKote, Cerakote are among the best finishes. Duracoat ranks up fairly well, but not as good as the bake-on applications where heat resistance and wear are concerned.

I'm looking for ideas on my new project
Old 11-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28247
Good luck. Sounds like you may have one of those cast lowers (as opposed to forged or billet like the rest of the industry) that earned Oly the crap reputation they enjoy today.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 11014
If it's marked PCR, it is a forged receiver.

The only receivers that olympic sold that were cast, belonged to the Plinker models.

And even they have forged receivers now too, although are the plinker plus series since around the 2004 timeframe.

The cast receivers also did not have the rampant lion logo on the lowers. The logo was omitted completely and the cast lowers only had text engravings for the make, model, serial, etc.

Just FWIW, a lot of $10,000 registered machineguns have cast receivers.

But I think forged are better.

I've owned both kinds.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 64937
As far as the broken trigger guard ear, you might consider putting a stark grip on it. It has the trigger guard molded into the grip and completely covers the ears. Some are not big fans of the looks, but it is a solid option if you don't want to weld on your receiver. You might also try to find an old magpul miad grip, some of the older ones came with an integrated trigger guard as well. The new kits no longer have this part, so you'd have to find a used one somewhere. Also, the miad would not cover the damage at all, just work around it. The stark would hide the damaged area.

Stark grip:

Old Magpul MIAD:
xd911d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 65226
Oh that grip does not too bad as far as I'm concerned (mag pul MIAD ) really like this option because like so many others - I like their stuff and I cold find other stock parts to match depending on style /color
Now how to find one - thanks to everybody for the good posts .

I realize this rifle is not super high end , but I think it's going to be a fun project that should net result in a solid , functional, reliable AR.

It all started for me with a daisy Red Ryder BB gun - not kidding a bit

2012 Ron Paul lets have some real change ...

Take somebody shooting -I like to infect other people with my disease
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
RedRyder is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

ar15, oly, trigger guard

Search tags for this page
does a cast olympic arms ar plinker have a threaded barrel?
how to take trigger guard off olympic arms ar15
olympic arms ar 15 20 inch barrel a2
olympic arms ar 15 flash suppressor removal
olympic arms ar v15 pcr 98
olympic arms mod pcr 98
olympic arms model pcr 98
olympic arms pcr

olympic arms pcr 98

olympic arms pcr 98 review
olympic arms pcr98 ar15
olympic pcr 98
olympic pcr98
pcr-98 olympic arms
replacement upper for olympic arms pcr
what model is my olympic arms ar 15
Click on a term to search for related topics.