• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

What .22lr AR rifles use a standard lower?

This is a discussion on What .22lr AR rifles use a standard lower? within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Originally Posted by diverdman The thing is, unless a .22lr AR is designed to take a .223/5.56 upper receiver, the internals of the .22 lower ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » What .22lr AR rifles use a standard lower?

Old 06-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #21
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 33132
Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdman View Post
The thing is, unless a .22lr AR is designed to take a .223/5.56 upper receiver, the internals of the .22 lower receiver can be comprimised due to the fact of a 5.56/.223 round is a extreme higher pressure chamber. So unless the manufacturer says that a .22 AR can accept a .223/5.56 upper receiver dont try it.

None of the pressure you are talking about is passed to the lower, thats why it can be made o aluminum rather then steel.

don
dglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #22
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 75066
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglock View Post
None of the pressure you are talking about is passed to the lower, thats why it can be made o aluminum rather then steel.

don
No its not, but the parts a designed and tested for a .22, not a .223
diverdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #23
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 72933
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglock View Post

don
The buffer tubes, recoil springs, and buffers aren't always the same.
1911 custom built was at some point Springfield
Henry 22LR Lever Action (favorite)
TCS_XDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #24
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 33778
My suggestion would be to build a "real" AR-15 lower. What I mean is, build it the way you ultimately want your 5.56 rifle to be like. If it takes a little longer, so be it.

You could get a stripped mi-spec lower $80-$100.

Then get this lower completion kit from Palmetto state armory. Which is a smokin deal right now. It includes a Magpul STR stock, MOE grip, complete lower parts kit with trigger, castle nut, receiver extension, buffer, spring, endplate...Everything to complete the lower! for $150!

PSA STR Lower Build Kit - Black

Then get a DEDICATED .22lr upper. One day, when you decide to build a 5.56 upper, you can swap them back and forth. You definitely want an upper that's chambered in .22lr with the correct rifling/twist. I wouldn't recommend the .22 conversion. I have gone that route. Reliability is Ok, but the worst part is accuracy. Shooting .22lr out of a 5.56 barrel has terrible accuracy. Your shot group ends up looking like buck shot! haha

What is the point of fun .22 plinking if you can't make fun accurate shots?

I have done the conversion, then 15-22...then full build. I can tell you, nothing beats the build. Don't get me wrong, the 15-22 is fun...But there's something about an all metal gun.

TRUST8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #25
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 126
Take if from me, buy a dedicated 22 upper and not a conversion kit. The kits aren't very reliable in my experience as a rifle instructor, range officer and owner of a kit.

In regards to the New Frontier vs. Plum Crazy. NF bought Plum Crazy and changed the name. Did they do any improvements? I don't know but they seem to have good reviews.

I do know that the M&P 22 has a polymer lower so it is debatable whether it is better or worse than the NF one. You can buy a complete NF lower for around $100 which is the cheapest anywhere. Throw a dedicated 22 upper on it and you have a AR 22 for about the same price as the S&W but can use centerfire uppers. That's probably what I would do if I was looking for an inexpensive AR in 22lr.
zipgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #26
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 60785
I'm going to throw out my vote for buying a dedicated .22lr AND a dedicated 5.56.

I know the question was asked about the conversion option, but since the price of buying a 5.56 and conversion kit cost almost as much as just buying separate rifles, I suggest there are cost savings by avoiding the headache of converting back and forth.

Also, if you ever go to the range with a friend, you can both shoot at the same time.
PistolEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #27
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolEd View Post
I'm going to throw out my vote for buying a dedicated .22lr AND a dedicated 5.56.

I know the question was asked about the conversion option, but since the price of buying a 5.56 and conversion kit cost almost as much as just buying separate rifles, I suggest there are cost savings by avoiding the headache of converting back and forth.

Also, if you ever go to the range with a friend, you can both shoot at the same time.
There is likely at least a couple hundred buck difference between having two rifles and one lower and two uppers. That's a deal breaker for many people.

With the price of 5.56 ammo these days, buying a the 22 first makes more sense than getting a centerfire AR, IMO.
zipgun is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

.22lr, ar-15, conversion, m&p 15-22

Search tags for this page
.22lr lower receiver
22 ar rifle
22 ar rifles
22lr ar rifles

ar 22 lower

ar lower
best .22 ar rifle
best 22 ar rifle
buy ar 15 22lr
can a 22 lr shoot out of a 223 ar
can i put a 223 upper on a 22 lower
can upper be changed on m&p 15-22
changing the uppers of a .22lr to 223
m&p 15 .22lr coversion kit

smith and wesson m&p 15 22 conversion to 223

Click on a term to search for related topics.