• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Questions about Upper on AR build

This is a discussion on Questions about Upper on AR build within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Im looking to build my first AR and just began looking at the different uppers. I think I'm leaning a little toads the CMMG 16" ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » Questions about Upper on AR build

Old 10-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 63225
Questions about Upper on AR build

Im looking to build my first AR and just began looking at the different uppers. I think I'm leaning a little toads the CMMG 16" line but when I go to their website I get a little overwhelmed. For example this upper CMMG 16" M4 Carbine Upper, www.cmmginc.comCMMG Inc. AR15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories. .22 LR Dedicated AR-15 Rifles, Dedicated AR 15 9mm Rifles and Uppers, Tactical Bacon has a ton of additional options for "gas piston system" etc. With the original price is there already a gas system in there and these are just upgrades or do I have to pick one of each in all the options? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Sogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 11014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogan View Post
I get a little overwhelmed. For example this upper CMMG 16" M4 Carbine Upper, www.cmmginc.comCMMG Inc. AR15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories. .22 LR Dedicated AR-15 Rifles, Dedicated AR 15 9mm Rifles and Uppers, Tactical Bacon has a ton of additional options for "gas piston system" etc.

With the original price is there already a gas system in there and these are just upgrades or do I have to pick one of each in all the options? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Not sure why penguin hotlinked ar15.com. I can't figure out how that helped answer the question you had here, but I'll try.

The original price you see listed is for a regular run of the mill AR15 upper (gas tube/direct impingement).

If you want to upgrade to a gas piston, the drop down menu will handle that. If you want a piston, my personal preference would be some form of pinned piston block to eliminate any movement compared to a clamp on style.

If you prefer to have a certain handguard over another, there are several options that are compatible with the piston. Not all handguards will accept a piston. That's why there is different drop down menu's.

If you get a gas piston, leave the front sight/gas block option blank. If you didn't want a piston and wanted a regular upper, then you would pick whatever gas block you liked.

If you're allowed to have threaded barrels and flash hiders by state/local law, pick the one you like.

For those that are new to AR's, I can see how that order form could be confusing not knowing what works and what don't with each other.

Of course, you could just call them and I'm sure they would walk you through the order so you get exactly what you want.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 34310
OMG I pointed someone to another website for some alterate info and my post gets nuked, what a bunch of thin skinned,touchy people. I guess I will just start lurking and let you guys stay on your reservation
penguin327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 16634
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin327 View Post
OMG I pointed someone to another website for some alterate info and my post gets nuked, what a bunch of thin skinned,touchy people. I guess I will just start lurking and let you guys stay on your reservation

That's the new management for ya.....NO links to any other forums
mvician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:50 AM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 38812
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvician View Post
That's the new management for ya.....NO links to any other forums
It's a good thing we know where to find the "Box".
Pssst Embrace the Box...

Yea I had trouble understanding there "options" to add or upgrade when I first looked at them. If I follow there system correctly everything mentioned is in standard DI format with options to add to or upgrade parts to what they already offer at posted price. I don't think you have to choose any options unless it's something you want to add or swap...
Any particular reason your just looking at CMMG?

"There is no such thing as tough. There is trained and untrained. Now which are you?" Man on Fire
jn_fsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 63225
At first it was due to older form posts I was reading suggesting CMMG was the best bang the for buck but I have recently switched over to BCM and am considering a complete upper from them with a spikes lower I believe
Sogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 65529
BCM is a top quality choice. If you do a web search of "Comparison chart of major AR brands" You'll find a wealth of information to help you build exactly what you want in an AR.
bobbo65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

ar-15, cmmg, upper

Search tags for this page

ar 15 build parts list

are bcm standard ar gas piston
are bcm uppers direct impingement
bcm ar 15 gas piston
bcm ar 15 piston

best upper for ar build

build an ar upper

build ar upper

building an ar 22
can a gas piston be used with a bcm upper

does anyone know how will bcm run with cmmg gas piston kit

does bcm make a gas piston ar?
does bcm make a piston upper
loki piston

piston ar upper

xd upper ar15

Click on a term to search for related topics.