• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Going Hog Hunting, What ammo would be best for my rifle?

This is a discussion on Going Hog Hunting, What ammo would be best for my rifle? within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Hey guys, I am trying to get some wild boar hunting in and am curious which ammo would best suit my needs with the rifle ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » Going Hog Hunting, What ammo would be best for my rifle?

Old 10-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 39825
Going Hog Hunting, What ammo would be best for my rifle?

Hey guys, I am trying to get some wild boar hunting in and am curious which ammo would best suit my needs with the rifle I am going to use. I will be using my Colt LE6940 (5.56) and as many of you know it is a 16.1" barrel with a 1/7" RHT. I have a PWS FSC556 Compensator/Flash Supressor on there as well but I don't think that matters at all. Okay right now I have Federal 62gr. Steel Core Penetrators and I also have some 62gr. Fusion Soft Point rounds for hunting. My question is out of those two which would do more damage? The Soft-Point Hunting round or the Steel Core Penetrators, I have never been hog hunting before so I don't know what their skin is like. Is it real tough and hard to get through (Penetrator rounds) or are they fleshy and easy to get to the vitals, then use the sp's. Or do I go out and buy some heavier stuff like 77gr. Hunting rounds. I am just not familiar with how easy or not it is to take one down using the 5.56 round. My uncle says I will be fine and people drop them all the time using the 5.56. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks guys...

"Ελεύθερον το Εύψυχον"

"I firmly believe that four of the most disappointing words you can read on the internet as a firearms enthusiast are, TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK" -Me
XDMulisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 51155
Stick with what you have it sighted in with.

WHEN INJUSTICE BECOMES LAW, REBELLION BECOMES DUTY
XDmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 38644
I'm not a hunter and think it's only fair IF the hunter uses like a K bar, mano a mano. However, realizing everyone doesn't have my sense of fairness, I think this site might give you some experienced insight here.

Wild Hog Hunting for Wild Hog Hunters - Hog and Boar Hunting for Real Hunters - AR's for hog hunting

Be careful, they are dangerous and can hurt you, seriously.

XDM-9, XDSC-9, S&W M&P 15 OR
NRA member,USMC 66-69, Ex LEO
MPDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 53827
Buy a Mosin Nagant... that will work LOL!

Seriously though, 5.56 should work as long your shot placement is good, you dont want one of those things pissed off at you!
Old 10-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28247
This is probably the best 5.56 hog round I've seen. I use the 85gr and 110gr versions in my 6.8SPC.

5.56mm ammunition, Barnes 70gr Lead Free .223 TSX
Old 10-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 54278
Remington Corelokt is supposed to be great large game rd for the AR's. Barnes triple shok too.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 64083
Use the steel core!! The soft spot will only piss it off if you hit it in the shoulder! Shoot it till it does not move and unless you have a .45 on your side give it time to die!!! They are mean nasty beasts!! Kill em all they are also horrible pests!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 54775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic738 View Post
Use the steel core!! The soft spot will only piss it off if you hit it in the shoulder! Shoot it till it does not move and unless you have a .45 on your side give it time to die!!! They are mean nasty beasts!! Kill em all they are also horrible pests!

don't hit him in the shoulder. hit him behind the ear.

Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 39825
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDmct View Post
Stick with what you have it sighted in with.
I never really sighted it in, it was just dead on out of the box... Well for an EOTech and Iron Sights. I don't have any really nice Glass. But I have used 55gr. once, and 62gr. the rest of the time. It seems to like the 62 gr. the best. So I will go with that or higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPDC View Post
I'm not a hunter and think it's only fair IF the hunter uses like a K bar, mano a mano. However, realizing everyone doesn't have my sense of fairness, I think this site might give you some experienced insight here.

Wild Hog Hunting for Wild Hog Hunters - Hog and Boar Hunting for Real Hunters - AR's for hog hunting

Be careful, they are dangerous and can hurt you, seriously.
Haha, That would definitely be a rush man. I might try that eventually, but until I really know the nature of the beast I will use a high powered rifle (Colt LE6940), and a sidearm to make sure (XDM .40). You are right, It would be a fair fight though, Tusks vs Knife. I will be careful, thanks brother. And thanks for the link I will check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton1621 View Post
Buy a Mosin Nagant... that will work LOL!

Seriously though, 5.56 should work as long your shot placement is good, you dont want one of those things pissed off at you!
I actually have a Mosin Nagant M91/30 and It has aftermarket montecarlo stock I painted OD Green. Also a Belarus scope, a Bipod I found in the trash at a range that is fine, lol was just missing a screw that I replaced lol. It works pretty good. I will definitely work on my shots before I go, I don't want a pissed off hog charging me. I will carry my Pistol and my KBAR just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdxpilot View Post
This is probably the best 5.56 hog round I've seen. I use the 85gr and 110gr versions in my 6.8SPC.

5.56mm ammunition, Barnes 70gr Lead Free .223 TSX
I checked this ammo out, I like the look of it man, I will have to try some of that, I like the heavier stuff. Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agould27 View Post
Remington Corelokt is supposed to be great large game rd for the AR's. Barnes triple shok too.
Yea I heard Corelokt was pretty good, and I have seen what Barnes Triple Shock can do. Powerful stuff. Thanks for the info brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic738 View Post
Yea my uncle said I should stick to the steel core ammo, that it would be the best with the right shot. I have an XDM .40, I figure that 200 gr. Nosler .40S&W rounds from Double Tap Ammo will do good for a back up. I got to purchase some of those bad boys. Some serious .40 lead lol. Thanks man. have a good one.

"Ελεύθερον το Εύψυχον"

"I firmly believe that four of the most disappointing words you can read on the internet as a firearms enthusiast are, TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK" -Me
XDMulisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28247
For some good info on where to aim for a good hog kill, check out this site

WILD BOAR ANATOMY, HUNTING WILD BOAR TEXAS, TEXAS HOG HUNTING HEART LUNG SHOT PLACEMNET

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

5.56, first time, hunting, which rounds, wild boar

Search tags for this page
5.56 ammo for hog hunting
5.56 hog ammo
best .223 hog hunting ammo
best 308 ammo for hog hunting
best 5.56 ammo for hogs
best 5.56 ammo for hunting
best 5.56 hog ammo
best 5.56 hunting ammo
best 5.56 hunting round

best ammo for hog hunting

best ammo wild hogs
hog hunting with 5.56
Click on a term to search for related topics.