• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

UPDATE: New AR - X-Treme 20" Bull SS - Now I've shot it

This is a discussion on UPDATE: New AR - X-Treme 20" Bull SS - Now I've shot it within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; So, I finally pulled the trigger (sorry about the pun) on my new AR upper. I currently have the CMMG .22lr AR, but wanted something ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » UPDATE: New AR - X-Treme 20" Bull SS - Now I've shot it

Old 09-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 62487
UPDATE: New AR - X-Treme 20" Bull SS - Now I've shot it

So, I finally pulled the trigger (sorry about the pun) on my new AR upper.

I currently have the CMMG .22lr AR, but wanted something a little beefier for distance.

After doing a lot of research and examining my bank account, I decided to go the "value" route with my upper. The X-Treme comes from Red X Arms (MN). Being from Wisconsin and also loving to help the little guy, I was impressed with their responses. 1) Responded within 2 hours of my emails (sent 8:30pm, responded 10:30pm). 2) Told me everything I needed to hear about the company, how the work is done and how they can keep prices low.

I will post my results after I get it, get it mounted, and get some rounds down range. For $435 (chrome BCG upgrade), I'm hoping that they are as good as their emails.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Side View:

Front-ish

Barrel Stamp:

What are you seeing?

Red X Arms X-Treme 20" Bull SS Upper
- BARREL - 20" 416 STAINLESS STEEL BULL BARREL CONTOUR. HARDENED TO 26-32 RC AND STRESS RELEIVED. CHAMBERED IN 5.56 NATO (ALSO ACCEPTS .223 ROUNDS). 1-8 RH TWIST 6 GROOVE BUTTON RIFLED. .936 UNDER GAS BLOCK. TARGET CROWNED. M4 FEEDRAMPS.
- A3 FLAT TOP UPPER RECIEVER - MADE FROM CERTIFIED 7075-T6 ALUMINUM FORGINGS. BLACK HARDCOAT ANODIZED AND TEFLON COATED TO GOV. SPECS. PROPER WHITE "T-MARKS" ON RAILS. FORWARD ASSIST AND DUST COVER INSTALLED. M4 FEEDRAMPS.
- GAS SYSTEM - MADE FROM AIRCRAFT QUALITY ALUMINUM AND BLACK HARDCOAT ANODIZED. RIFLE LENGTH GAS TUBE. SINGLE TOP RAIL GAS BLOCK.
-
HANDGUARDS - 2 PIECE KNURLED FREE FLOATING HANDGUARD. MADE FROM AIRCRAFT QUALITY ALUMINUM AND BLACK HARDCOAT ANODIZED.

SCOPE - NCSTAR MARK III TACTICAL 3-9X40MM WITH THE QUICK RELEASE BASE. THE RISER IS, WELL, A RISER.

MAGAZINE - BRAVO COMPANY 30RD TEFLON COATED MAGAZINE.

CMMG LOWER - CAME WITH MY CMMG .22lr AR. STOCK TRIGGER.

BI-POD - NCSTAR ABUQ14 EXTENDING BI-POD.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Impressions: This weighs a metric crap ton. Shipping weight on it was 6 lbs. Add in the clamp-on bi-pod along with the riser and scope, and it's probably coming close to 9 lbs.

All in all, I'm very impressed with the craftsmanship. This is a beefy barrel (.936) and at 20", it's heavy. Have I mentioned it heavy? But most importantly, everything goes together tightly. My take down pins are very snug, there's no movement in the free floating handguard, or the joint between upper and lower. Literally, there is no rattling anywhere on this rifle. Granted, I haven't shot it yet, but I'm very confident that nothing's going to be moving.

The only thing I'm considering is whether or not I'm going with a quad-rail gas block or dropping the nurled handguard in favor of a quad-rail handguard with the low-pro gas block. We'll see.

One more thing. I placed the order on Saturday night. I got it today. Granted, it's only traveling from Minnesota to Wisconsin, but still. That's insanely fast.

I will again update this after shooting it tomorrow.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, it took an additional day to recover from seeing the Brewers dismantle the D-Backs in Milwaukee, so we went out today.

At 50 yds, my scope was a bit off, but we got it moved to where it should have been.

At 100 yds, it needed a little more fine tuning. And then I was making really cool patterns. All neatly tucked inside the 2" bulls-eye. Trying to fine tune it a bit more, I was able to stick 6 inside of the 1" circle. For anything that I'm going to be doing, that's just fine.

So, no new scope, mine works just fine thanks. And only considering a new foregrip or gas block so that I can ditch the clamp-on mount for the bi-pod. I would do the sling mount but I don't have that adapter for my bi-pod. But if I can just leave the clamp on the .22, I can move it back and forth without any trouble at all.

Was shooing Federal .223 Remington, 55 gr. FMJ ammo. Got about 75 or so down range today. I can't say that I've been happier shooting a rifle before. This thing will reach out and touch someone without any problems at all.

Now I just have to remember not to over-stuff my magazines.

Last edited by BrewGuyTim; 10-03-2011 at 04:54 PM.
BrewGuyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39657
Yeah, let us know how you like it. I have been wanting to build a AR since I bought my first one in back in May. I really want to do a .308 and these guy look like a great place to start.

You can drink a shy girl crazy, you can drink till that good girl sins, you can even drink a ugly girl pretty, but you cant drink a fat girl thin. - Jeff Daniels

My wife thinks everything costs, "about a $100.. bucks".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
- dsump 4/3/07
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 57957
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewGuyTim View Post
So, I finally pulled the trigger (sorry about the pun) on my new AR upper.

I currently have the CMMG .22lr AR, but wanted something a little beefier for distance.

After doing a lot of research and examining my bank account, I decided to go the "value" route with my upper. The X-Treme comes from Red X Arms (MN). Being from Wisconsin and also loving to help the little guy, I was impressed with their responses. 1) Responded within 2 hours of my emails (sent 8:30pm, responded 10:30pm). 2) Told me everything I needed to hear about the company, how the work is done and how they can keep prices low.

I will post my results after I get it, get it mounted, and get some rounds down range. For $435 (chrome BCG upgrade), I'm hoping that they are as good as their emails.

Glad you took the leap BrewGuy! You wont regret the upgrade from the .22, but do post back with results once you get it. I am still looking at these guys for my next build this winter!!

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

"A woman is the only thing I am afraid of that I know will not hurt me."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
XDm_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

If this turns out well, you guys will probably get tired of me posting in every AR thread: "You should have bought from Red X!!!! Could have saved $200+"

I'm very hopeful. Should have it end of the week-ish...
Old 09-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

OUT FOR DELIVERY!!! Now to make my life a little more dreary, I have a 3 hour drive today so I'll have to pick it up at UPS.....Ugh...FML...
Old 09-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 10643
I used an 18" RRA bull barrel for my first build. Have moved the scope back since pic was taken. If I'd known how accurate RRA's NM stainless barrels are, I'd have gone with one of them instead, to save weight.

Whether a chrome bcg is an upgrade probably depends on to whom you're talking. Bushmaster doesn't recommend them. I don't think you can go wrong with anybody's mil-spec bcg.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

I have it. It's on the lower. I'll be posting pics in the OP once my wife gets off the big computer. This thing weighs a metric **** ton.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 47178
Let me know what your initial thoughts are if you would. My dad is looking for a 20 inch Upper and is considering this one. I appreciate it

When asked why I need a gun I answer simply this "If it comes down to him or me, I want to win. There's nothing more precious than my wife's life or my daughters'."

"God has been good to me all my life, and I dont expect it to stop now." W.Frank Walters, upon being diagnosed with cancer. R.I.P Grandpa
warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

OP updated with pictures and impressions.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:48 AM   #10
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 10643
I think you'll probably need a better scope, in order to fully realize the accuracy potential. Should shoot dimes @ 100 yds, with good ammo!!

I'd probably replace the trigger before the scope, though. I'm using the JP trigger/hammer combo.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

Search tags for this page
red x arms accuracy
red x arms barrel review
red x arms barrel reviews
red x arms bull barrel review

red x arms review

red x arms reviews
red x barrel review
red x barrel reviews
red x barrels review
red x floated gas block
red x upper review
red-x arms accuracy
Click on a term to search for related topics.