• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

95 Percent Lower Receiver

This is a discussion on 95 Percent Lower Receiver within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; So.. I'm just wondering what can you do with this? If you finished drilling out the receiver to make it functional would you be breaking ...

Old 08-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 57250
95 Percent Lower Receiver

So.. I'm just wondering what can you do with this? If you finished drilling out the receiver to make it functional would you be breaking the law?

M4 Carbine AR-15 Rifle 95 Percent Lower Receiver - American Spirit Arms

Dietrich Bonhoeffer "Not to Speak is to Speak. Not to Act is to Act."
The Weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 16502
Whats left? The hole for the selector switch?

My guess would be by law they are not selling a functioning lower. IF you modify it to make it functioning then its on you to register it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

US Army 2005 - 2014
Kimber Series I Compact Aluminum - My Carry
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Life Member
SAF Defenders Club Life Membership
AZCDL Life Membership

IN HELPDESK WE TRUST #2

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!"

Capt. John Parker, Lexington militia
ArmyGuy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
Old Timer

Member #: 51906
Why would you pay as much, and in some cases more, for a stripped, unfinished and unanodized lower just so that you can have it sent to your house? Am I missing something?

A man who feels he must ask for freedom surrenders it by doing so.

I am a Man and for that no apology is offered.
mbquimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Well this is marked at $129.99. which is about the same give or take $20 as a complete finished receiver. I just was curious what the purpose of a 95% finished receiver would be?

I get not having to deal with the FFL transfer but i wasn't sure if that meant you could build your own firearm from scratch without registeration and the company was trying to cash in on a possible loop hole type thing since technically all the other rifles parts could get shipped to your door without ATF notification.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
Old Timer

Member #: 51906
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weapon View Post
Well this is marked at $129.99. which is about the same give or take $20 as a complete finished receiver. I just was curious what the purpose of a 95% finished receiver would be?

I get not having to deal with the FFL transfer but i wasn't sure if that meant you could build your own firearm from scratch without registeration and the company was trying to cash in on a possible loop hole type thing since technically all the other rifles parts could get shipped to your door without ATF notification.

From what I read, the selecter switch hole and the trigger area is completely unmilled. That is a lot of precise work to do just to not have to go to a LGS to pick up a lower. To me, that must mean they are trying to cash in on a different market. I can't see there being many people out there with the capability to finish the milling that would rather do that than spend 20 more dollars.

A man who feels he must ask for freedom surrenders it by doing so.

I am a Man and for that no apology is offered.
mbquimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

If you go to 2:25 they talk about the unfinished receiver

Old 08-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 59354
I have some of these, the fixture for clamping them, and the machine and bits to finish them. I hope to get to that soon. Yes, you can complete them. Yes, you can build rifles on them. No, you don't have to fill a 4473 or transfer it. No, you can't ever sell it; it's yours forever, BUT, it doesn't officially exist. Apparently, it's suggested to put some kind of serial number on it, but even that's not mandated. SHTF rifles, you know.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 11014
The ATF has always frowned on receivers more than 80% complete.

Even a quick google couldn't find anything more than 80% listed:
Click to View Search Results for more than 80% complete receiver - Google Search more than 80% complete receiver - Google Search

It would take a milling machine to hollow out the chamber for the fire control parts, and drill the holes for the selector and FCG pins. Unknown about selector detent and takedown detent and pistol grip screw. I can't see those area's

Personally, I think I would drill the FCG pin holes and selector hole before milling the interior. But that's just me.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 59354
Oh, that's right. What you see there is 80%, not 95%. I'd meant to correct that. Yes, it's recommended to drill the FCG holes before milling.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 27336
The finished reveiver is for the personal use of the individual that completes "manufacturing" the lower. You cannot make one for someone else but you can loan or borrow tools like a template as long as you do the work yourself. It is not intended to be manufactured (completed) with the express intention of resale to others and No registration is needed as such. (Keep your 80% reciept/purchase paperwork). It is advisable to avoid problems, for the receiver to be properly marked immediately upon upon completion. If later, you decide you need to sell the receiver or entire assembled firearm the engraved or stamped identification with your name as the 'brand' manufacturer, your chosen serial number (and possibly dated-not sure) in accordance with all BATFE regs is used for this. It may be sold/ transfered the same as a normal store bought AR. You will get looked at if you seem to continually be finishing and selling receivers without the proper FFL manufacturing license. But an occasional sale like when people normally might sell a firearm is allowed within the guidelines and there is a paper trail of the transaction.
Trijicon / PRP / PistolGear barrels / SuperTuck
NRA Endowment Member SAF Member
ThumperIII is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

Search tags for this page
90 lower receiver
90 percent lower receiver
95% ar 15 lower receiver
95% ar 15 receivers

95% lower receiver

ar 15 90 percent lower
ar 15 95% lower
ar 15 95% lower receiver
ar 15 lower 90 percent
unfinished ar 15 lower receivers
unfinished ar 15 receivers for sale
what has to be done to complete a 95 percent reciever for ar-15
Click on a term to search for related topics.