• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Sling and Sling Mount options for M&P 15-22

This is a discussion on Sling and Sling Mount options for M&P 15-22 within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; So I'm convinced that I need a sling for my Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22. It will primarily be used for plinking/range time and such, ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » Sling and Sling Mount options for M&P 15-22

Old 08-17-2011, 12:57 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 26790
Question Sling and Sling Mount options for M&P 15-22

So I'm convinced that I need a sling for my Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22. It will primarily be used for plinking/range time and such, and I'm looking at two-point slings. The gun is super light (~5lb), so I'm not too concerned about something with padding, but a wide strap and/or bungee would be nice (not essential).

I've been doing some research here and on other forums/web-sites, and I've narrowed it down to what seem to be the three standout slings that everyone recommends:
Vickers Combat Application Sling (VCAS) - $50.00
Viking Tactical (VTAC) - $35 (original) / $40 (wide, padded)
Irene Adaptive Sling (IAS) - $35

Is it really just apples to apples between them? Honestly, I don't see much of a difference between the VCAS and the VTAC. The IAS though is more unique...

I really like the IAS because it's able to quickly convert from one-point to two-point. But it can't actually be shot in the two-point position because the webbing is too short. (In two-point mode, it does seem a lot more secure to your body though) So you ONLY use two-point for transporting the weapon and all the shooting is done in one-point mode. Should I care though? Which do you guys prefer shooting with, a one-point or two-point sling?

Then as far as attachment, since the M&P 15-22 isn't a normal AR, the receiver and buffer tube is actually one piece, so I can't install a sling plate there. (I didn't get the MOE version which comes with one installed) The IAS comes with a nylon buffer tube sling mount that will work, but they recommend a rigid mount instead... That pretty much makes my argument for the IAS and its one-point capability a moot point, huh?

So I'd really just use a rear stock mount and a front rail sling attachment unless I got creative with a clamp-on single-point mount or something... As far as sling mounts, I figured I'd just get a Magpul RSA for the front, but should I consider some type of swivel instead?

There's a ton of stuff to consider, so any advice would be helpful.
- Remington 870 Express
- Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
- Browning Buck Mark
Scottpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 61205
I have the VCAS on my Rock River. It's a great sling, holds tight to the body, nothing to get caught on anything and so adjustable! Paid 42 for mine at a local shop.

"You don't have to like it, you just have to do it"

RRA Tactical CAR A-4
WASR-10 AK-47
Para 1911 GI Expert ESP
Kel-tec PF9
Winchester 1300 Defender
PA-63 9mm
Nagant revolver
M-39 Finnish Mosin, 1943 SAKO
M-91 1898 Tula
M-91/30 1939 Tula, round reciever
M-91/30 1933 Izhevsk, hex
K-98 Code-S/42 1938
VZ-24 Czech Mauser
Knox8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 18902
I run a VTAC on two of the guns I routinely train with (which is the only time they are slung). I have one on my AR-15 and one on my FNH auto-loader. I got the VTAC for my auto-loader after using the VTAC on my AR-15 for nearly a year. I enjoy the one handed operation of the VTAC for shortening or lengthening the sling.

I also have the M&P15-22 and have it set up for a sling. I use a rail mount on the side of the rail and use the slit in the stock with a small carabiner to secure it. Works great and is easy to remove. (see pic below) In the pic, the 15-22 is slung with an inexpensive web sling I had sitting in the drawer when it was time to take the pic.

I do not like single point slings....they just don't work well for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
arizona98tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 26790
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona98tj View Post
I also have the M&P15-22 and have it set up for a sling. I use a rail mount on the side of the rail and use the slit in the stock with a small carabiner to secure it. Works great and is easy to remove. (see pic below) In the pic, the 15-22 is slung with an inexpensive web sling I had sitting in the drawer when it was time to take the pic.
What kind of rail mount are you running? Is it a static one like the Magpul RSA or a QD swivel or what?
- Remington 870 Express
- Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
- Browning Buck Mark
Scottpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 18902
Got it from GG&G here in Arizona.

arizona98tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 62358
I also have an MP15-22 and would love to see any other setups for slings and or glass/sights people are running on them. Can't leave anything well enough alone. I really just wish I could run the 25rd mags but sadly California even makes 22's less fun.
Shaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29650
This can mount to that slot in the stock where ^^ has a carabiner.

Rear mount (QD)
Impact Weapons Components

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

Search tags for this page
1 point sling and mount for m&p15-22
15-22 sling
best gun strap foe sw mmp 15 pc
best sling s&w m&p 15-22
installing sling mp 15/22
m&p 15 22 swivel set
m&p 15-22 single point sling mount

m&p 15-22 sling

mp 15-22 sling mount
mp15-22 sling
nylon buffer tube sling mount
purpose made single point adapter for 15-22
single point sling adapter for m&p 15 sport
sling for m&p 15
smith and wesson m&p 15 sling mount
what is the sling swivel used 0n the m&p 15-22 moe
Click on a term to search for related topics.