• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Buying my first AR

This is a discussion on Buying my first AR within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Ive been contemplating on buying my first ar rifle. I was gonna buy a tikka t3 lite for deer hunting but I just came across ...

Old 07-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 59921
Cool Buying my first AR

Ive been contemplating on buying my first ar rifle. I was gonna buy a tikka t3 lite for deer hunting but I just came across an AR that really is catching my eye. Its the stag arms new model 3! Do any of you know if this is one of the better ar's. If I get this I'm going to have to der hunt with this, this year. They have a plus series that is a 1 in 7 twist which im told will stabilize heavier bullets better. I know its small for a deer rifle but it will only be for one season and the shot would most likely be 50 to 75 yards. Id buy a deer rifle next year. What are your thoughts on this model 3? id like this same rifle in .243 but its not available. Ive seem.some others but for the price this looks sweet
bloodsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 54240
You should check out Spike's Tactical....should be comparable in price. Itoo was looking at a Stag Arms AR but went with the Spike's and I love it. It has 1:7 twist and chrome barrel....just my .02 cents. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

XD .45 ACP Service w/ TruGlo TFO Sights
XD 9mm Subcompact
Springfield Mil Spec 1911
Hammer of Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 38644
IMHO, 5.56 is too small a caliber for deer hunting and may not even be legal for that purpose in some States. Have you checked into .308 ARs (AR10)?

XDM-9, XDSC-9, S&W M&P 15 OR
NRA member,USMC 66-69, Ex LEO
MPDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
XDTalk Member

i know, alot of peoples opinions is its to small..mine to in a way but i know it can be done eithically if shot placement is good and not to far out. i cant find a nice looking 308 for around a thousand bucks thats similar looking to the stag model 3. do you have a few ideas? i would like a 308. its legal here in nebraska. ill check out spikes tactical when i get home. thanks
Old 07-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 AR-15 7.62x39 16" Pre-Ban Flat Top Barrel Assembly
Smith & Wesson Complete Lower w/Standard Trigger Group & Col $308.00 SHIPS FREE

Add a scope and you have a quality lower with a 7.62 servicable upper and can add higher quality upper in any caliber later.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

How about a bushmaster orc .308 any experience with them?
Old 07-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPDC View Post
IMHO, 5.56 is too small a caliber for deer hunting and may not even be legal for that purpose in some States. Have you checked into .308 ARs (AR10)?
It's not too small at all. Shot placement and bullet construction are the key. I've seen deer killed just as dead, just as quickly with .223's as with
a .30-30, .30-06, or .300WSM...even a 12ga slug.

For the ranges the OP is talking about...if the rifle is accurate, and the shooter can keep the rifle on target when buck fever stirkes, .223 is plenty of gun...just use a well-constructed bullet; with that 1:7 twist, I'd recommend a 55gr or heavier Barnes TSX or TTSX.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 37884
Stag is a good name brand, been around for a while. Go with the 1 in 7 twist regardless of deer hunting or not, but it will certainly help with that to be able to use the heavier rounds. As for the ethics of it, IMO as long as you are not intentionally doing something to prolong the deer's suffering, I don't have a problem with it. Talk to long-time hunters and they will all tell you stories of having to track a deer for hundreds of yards or much further, or not being able to find them at all, and that is using anything from a bow to the large calibers. You are not guaranteed to drop it where it stands on every shot, so use what you got and do the best you can, especially if you have to eat.
Creeky73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Hey, just my opinion and I am not a big hunter. I base my opinion on that of people who do hunt alot and think the round is too small for deer. I have heard people say a .22 placed well will kill too, just don't think you go with possible marginal lethality IF adequate is available.

Again, just my opinion, YMMV.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39228
have you seen the Remmington R-25...its avaliable in .308 and .243 not sure how the prices are but i know the R-15 is around 1,000.

BOTL
mAKo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

ar15, stag arms, tikka

Search tags for this page
best ar for deer hunting
best ar hunting rifle for deer

best ar rifle for deer hunting

best price stag arms model 3

buying my first ar

my first ar

stag .308
stag .308 ar 15
stag 3 plus package
stag arms model 3
stag arms model 3 accuracy
stag arms pluse package
stag arms t3
stag model 3 for sale
stag model 3 plus for sale
which ar rifle is best for deer hunting
Click on a term to search for related topics.