• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Buying my first AR

This is a discussion on Buying my first AR within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I have a friend who recently picked up a off brand AR platform. He intends to use it deer hunting. In MN anything over .22 ...

Old 07-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 60441
I have a friend who recently picked up a off brand AR platform. He intends to use it deer hunting. In MN anything over .22 cal is legal. I told him it's not a matter of legality since it meets the criteria it's a matter of ethics. As long as bullet placement is good he'll and you'll be fine. Then again he traded in a 7mm ultra mag for it. That was his deer rifle. He seems to go to extremes.
As stated by others be sure of your shot placement with it. I would go with a larger round, but to each there own.
LCFD#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #12
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 32882
Some states allow you to use a .223 for deer hunting but in my opinion this size caliber should only be used by those whom are seasoned hunters. Can a .223 take a deer down? Sure it can if you place the shot correctly. Have I ever taken a deer with a .223? Nope and I probably wouldn't...

Another caliber I wouldn't pass up is the 6.8 SPC which will fit in a standard AR-15 lower. Rock River makes an upper at a pretty reasonable price They also make complete rifles as well.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
  • Harrington & Richardson Model 088 Shotgun
  • Del-Ton 16" carbine AR-15

Luke 22:36

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
Shaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
XDTalk Member

Member #: 59921
my buddy had the 6.8 and ammo was ridiculous to get around here. he ordered it from the local sporting goods store and took over two months to get..i couldnt believe it. i deer hunt every year. i would say im a pretty good shot. ive had a .308 and a two 270's. ive hunted all my life. im 23 now. i can hit coons in the head at 100 yards pretty easily with my 22 mag. so honestly im not to worried about good shot placement. might have to pass up a few to get a ethical shot but its a chance im gonna have to take. im really thinking about getting the stag arms new model three with the plus package. just wish someone here had one and could tell me how well it performs to similar priced ar's. so far its either the stag or the bushmaste orc .308 the cheaper .223 round would be nice tho. i looked at the spike tactical. im still looking up info on them. prry gonna order one friday. hope i can make up my mind by then. thanks for ur opinions guys..keep em coming
bloodsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #14
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCFD#22 View Post
I have a friend who recently picked up a off brand AR platform. He intends to use it deer hunting. In MN anything over .22 cal is legal. I told him it's not a matter of legality since it meets the criteria it's a matter of ethics. As long as bullet placement is good he'll and you'll be fine. Then again he traded in a 7mm ultra mag for it. That was his deer rifle. He seems to go to extremes.
As stated by others be sure of your shot placement with it. I would go with a larger round, but to each there own.

Actually, in MN .22 centerfire is legal, has been for a couple of years.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #15
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 32882
Although expensive, the 6.8 SPC is cheaper than the .308/7.62 where I am at, which is why I brought it up. At times it can be hard to find here as well but from what I have read it is an optimal round that has the trajectory of a 6.5 Grendel and the stopping power of a 7mm (which are the two rounds the 6.8 was designed around).

I thought this was interesting but here is a good read on the history of the 6.8 SPC, if you are interested.

History of the 6.8 SPC

• Harrington & Richardson Model 088 Shotgun
  • Del-Ton 16" carbine AR-15

Luke 22:36

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
Shaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

ar15, stag arms, tikka

Search tags for this page
best ar for deer hunting
best ar hunting rifle for deer

best ar rifle for deer hunting

best price stag arms model 3

buying my first ar

my first ar

stag .308
stag .308 ar 15
stag 3 plus package
stag arms model 3
stag arms model 3 accuracy
stag arms pluse package
stag arms t3
stag model 3 for sale
stag model 3 plus for sale
Click on a term to search for related topics.