• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

M&P12-55 vs. CMMG .22 for training?

This is a discussion on M&P12-55 vs. CMMG .22 for training? within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; am looking for: reliability, durability accuracy which is closer to a real AR? i bought this gun to train for the range in boot camp. ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » M&P12-55 vs. CMMG .22 for training?

Old 06-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 59446
M&P12-55 vs. CMMG .22 for training?

am looking for:
reliability, durability
accuracy
which is closer to a real AR? i bought this gun to train for the range in boot camp.
I bought the MnP22 already, but then i saw a metal CCMG-a4 (mine is polymer). It is not a mix-matched rifle, both the upper and lower are from ccmg. i am wondering (1)how this rifle differs from mine, (2)which would you prefer to own?? and (3)which is most like an AR?? thanks.

EDIT: so are you saying that even a .22cal AR upper like on the CMMG does not field strip the same as a .223 upper?
because i would only return my MP22 if the CMMG is more realistic in field stripping, to pratice for when i will be shooting/stripping the M16 in boot camp. thanks.
762x39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 53911
The CMMG uses real AR uppers. The only difference between it and a 5.56 AR is the Barrel--chambered for .22 lr and 1/16 twist-- and the BCG is for a .22. It slides in the same as a 5.56 BCG. The .22 bcg is not built the same as a 5.56 BCG.

The CMMG has options of forward assist and Bolt Hold Open Actuator that locks the bolt back after the last round. Keeps the bolt locked back when the mag is removed, again, like a standard AR.

These were developed as trainers for L.E. amd Military.
My M4 LE has been extremly reliable. I've had 3 FTE's not due to ammo early on. I have over 13000 rounds through it.

Weight is the same as a standard AR with the exception of the BCG being a couple ounces lighter.
I always recommend the stainless up grade. It's smoother, stronger, feeds better, uses less lube, and stays cleaner.

I have conducted field testing on these for 1.5 years now. Something new all the time.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Dave

"Better to Die for Something than Live for Nothing"
shadow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 24012
no .22 LR upper or complete gun (AR style) will be identical to a M4/M16, they operate differently.

The .22LR is a straight blow back action because there is not enough gas expelled from a .22LR case to make it gas operated. Conversely, the .223/5.56 is a gas operated action, because it has too much power for a straight blow back.

If you want something that is accurate to the M4/M16 (minus the fire control and FA capabilities) for training and field stripping go get yourself a Colt or other mil-spec AR's chambered in 5.56mm.

just my 2c

NRA LIFE MEMBER

" I don't like repeat offenders...I like DEAD offenders"

“Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.”

- Ted Nugent
nateroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 33453
[QUOTE=762x39;2900718]am looking for:
reliability, durability
accuracy
which is closer to a real AR? i bought this gun to train for the range in boot camp.
I bought the MnP22 already, but then i saw a metal CCMG-a4 (mine is polymer). It is not a mix-matched rifle, both the upper and lower are from ccmg. i am wondering (1)how this rifle differs from mine, (2)which would you prefer to own?? and (3)which is most like an AR?? thanks.

EDIT: so are you saying that even a .22cal AR upper like on the CMMG does not field strip the same as a .223 upper?
because i would only return my MP22 if the CMMG is more realistic in field stripping, to pratice for when i will be shooting/stripping the M16 in boot camp. thanks.[/QUOTE

Congratulations on joining the service........Best of luck to you! Mouth shut, eyes and ears open!

In addition to the CCMG-A4, a good rifle manual, would be extremely useful. I use the "U.S. Marine Corps Technical Manual, Organizational and Intermediate Maintenance (Including Repair Parts and Special Tools List), Rifle,5.56-MM,M16A2 W/E 1005-01-128-9936"....(whew!)..or simply(?)...TM05538C-23&P/2...You may be able to download this manual free. I got mine free from the local gun shop.

This manual is flat "outstanding" and will take you from start to finish on the AR system.

By contrasting and comparing your CCMG-A4 to the " AR Tech Manual", there will be no doubt in your "Military Mind" that you have a working knowledge of the AR.

Learn to shoot the iron sights and you will do great!

Keep your heels down.

One Eye Jack
1EYEJACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 38644
I can tell you this, a friend has a Colt branded .22 LR AR type and it is much smaller and lacks realistic AR controls compared to the M&P. Other than weight, it is pretty close to the real thing for training purposes.

Rimfire rifles can only mimic centerfire ARs up to a point. The round is not intended for gas operation like .223 or 5.56.

XDM-9, XDSC-9, S&W M&P 15 OR
NRA member,USMC 66-69, Ex LEO
MPDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPDC View Post
I can tell you this, a friend has a Colt branded .22 LR AR type and it is much smaller and lacks realistic AR controls compared to the M&P. Other than weight, it is pretty close to the real thing for training purposes.

Rimfire rifles can only mimic centerfire ARs up to a point. The round is not intended for gas operation like .223 or 5.56.
Right..... Properly, it is an "AR style", not "AR type".
Old 06-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1EYEJACK View Post
Right..... Properly, it is an "AR style", not "AR type".
Jack, for a guy with only one eye, you sure are a stickler for "precision terminology". Careful, that may lead to constipation.

From Encarta............
type (n)

Synonyms: kind, sort, category, form, nature, brand, style, variety, manner, mode, class
Synonyms: font, typeface, lettering, print, style, typographyEncarta® World English Dictionary [North American Edition] © & (P)2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 53827
Hmm... whats an M&P 12-55 ???
Old 06-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPDC View Post
Jack, for a guy with only one eye, you sure are a stickler for "precision terminology". Careful, that may lead to constipation.

From Encarta............
type (n)

Synonyms: kind, sort, category, form, nature, brand, style, variety, manner, mode, class
Synonyms: font, typeface, lettering, print, style, typographyEncarta® World English Dictionary [North American Edition] © & (P)2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

Well,yes. Early on, I had a nun poke one of my eyes out for using "type" when I should have used the word "style". Ever since, I've had to use to use the correct word, as the Nun is still alive.

Seriously, there is a difference in the words. The official S&W website does not use the word "type" in conjunction with the M&P 15/22. In fact S&W does not use the designation "AR" with the M&P 15/22, or the word "style" either.

Even the reviewers of the .22 cal, AR "style" rifles do not call them AR "types".

I'm very sorry this came up (again....) and hope that we can honor the young man's OP by giving him a thoughtful answer to his question.

Besides......."The Nun is still alive." There has been enough bloodshed over this, already!

One Eye Jack

CC: Clinton
Old 06-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

"Besides......."The Nun is still alive." There has been enough bloodshed over this, already!.''

Having personally been abused by nuns in my youth, I can sympathize.

My serious answer, re bootcamp prep., either practice with an M4gery with an auto bolt carrier like the real thing or just practice marksmanship with it until you are really proficient at shooting and CLEANING it. Disassembly will be taught ad nauseum at Parris Island until you can do it in the dark and recognize your bolt from your neighbors (always a good skill)LOL.

IMHO, the M&P you have is as close as a .22 gets to being realistic as to external controls and lots of cheap fun for the money. I wouldn't trade it UNLESS it is for an actual AR 15 (that stands for Armalite) but is now a designation used by many companies for their ........errrr.....AR 15s.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

.22lr, ar-15, field stripping, m&p 12-22, training

Search tags for this page
cmmg .22 ar
cmmg .22 rifle
cmmg 22

cmmg 22 rifle

cmmg 22 rifle review
cmmg 22 upper

cmmg 22 upper review

cmmg 22lr carbine rwview
cmmg 22lr rifle review
cmmg ar 22
cmmg ar 22 review
cmmg quebec review
cmmg quebec vs m&p 15-22
s&w m&p 15-22 vs cmmg
training with your .22 ar-15
Click on a term to search for related topics.