• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Is an AR the right choice for me?

This is a discussion on Is an AR the right choice for me? within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Originally Posted by psychocabbage I am new, so I had to research this just to know what I could find: A good paintball gun avgs ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » Is an AR the right choice for me?

Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2011, 12:35 AM   #41
XDTalk Member

Member #: 36151
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychocabbage View Post
I am new, so I had to research this just to know what I could find:
A good paintball gun avgs 300-320 fps with some reports of it going as high as 460 through a chronos. They do note that after 310ish fps the trajectory gets skewed because of the seams on the ball.

On the Cheaper than Dirt page I found this info for a .223 Hornady TAP round (15462 - Ammo .223 Remington Hornady TAP FPD 60 Grain 3115 fps 20 Round Box)
2754 fps at 100 yards
2420 fps at 200 yards
2110 fps at 300 yards
1824 fps at 400 yards
1567 fps at 500 yards

So at even 500 yards its over 3 times faster than a paintball.

Looks like the statement above could be seen as trollish or even ignorant. But if he reads it, maybe now he will know.

He obviously meant BB gun. Duh!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

SGT

USMC
1833 - Assault Amphibian Vehicle Crewman

Armament so far:
Springfield XDm .40
Walther PK380
Para Warthog .45
DPMS Sportical .308/7.62 NATO

"Ideas pull the trigger, but instinct loads the gun."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Remove Ads
Old 05-05-2011, 02:32 AM   #42
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 27336
If you do go with something in .223/5.56 caliber, that must be used as a one-size fits all firearm, get fast(er) twist rifling. Something in 1:7 or 1:8. This will allow use of some of the heavier hunting ammo - up to 75gr or so. The slowest twist (original style) barrels are limited to the lighter 40-55gr weight rounds. The heavier bullet will have better energy carry as you reach out in range. A 16" barrel will be fine on accuracy and velocity at the range you specified and will handle better as a defense weapon.
Trijicon / PRP / PistolGear barrels / SuperTuck
NRA Endowment Member SAF Member
Old 05-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #43
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39350
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbs View Post
Lol since I take it you have no true experience other then being the all knowing forum poster I'd tell you to try hunting dear with it, but you probly don't see the sun too much so that's out of the question. The next best thing you could do would be to look at some charts, but again that maybe to much for you to handle seeing as how your IQ compairs with sea crustaceans. But give it a shot anyways...
The spelling, grammar, sentence structure and punctuation 9 (or lack thereof) hurts my sea crustacean brain.

-Tim

GeorgiaCarry.org Member
National Rifle Association Member
Old 05-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #44
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 57200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cce1302 View Post
I agree that we don't carry it that way ("tight port arms") but that is the proper nomenclature.

I learned in a nice little town called Quantico (actually adjacent to the town).

S/F

Little town called Quantico you say? A tad South of Dumfries and a little North of Stafford. I spent several years there at OCS and then a little further Southwest at TBS near Garrisonville. Very fond memories
Old 05-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #45
XDTalk Member

Member #: 30379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzplayer9 View Post
I'll get to the point, i want a multi purpose firearm.

-I need to be able to use it whitetail and mountain goat hunting,
-I need it to be reasonably affordable (also taking ammo into consideration, reloading is possible in the future) preferably the gun would be under $750
-i need it to be 110% reliable in a defense situation (if i'm going to spend more than $500 on a firearm it better be reliable for defense) this also means i'd prefer a shorter barrel and lighter weight while still maintaining hunting accuracy out to about 100 yards
-As i have no experience assembling firearms i would need a book or manual of some form to walk me through it
-and lastly i need it to be legal for me as a civilian to own and use.

notes on what I've researched:
-As seen in the title, i understand the AR may not be the way to go
-I've heard mixed reviews of DPMS
-I've only heard that Remington's AR models are really stiff and tend to jam
I am ignorant as to building an AR myself

thank you in advance for any and all help or advice
-jazzplayer9
Since I haven't seen it suggested,how about a lever action?The Marlin MXLR .308 is real nice and fits your budget nicely.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

ar 15, defense, education, hunting, tactical

Search tags for this page
.223 stopping power
.223 stopping power hunting
6.8 spc vs 243

ar 15 stopping power

colt m16a2 rifle
dpms .223 sportical review
dpms 308 sportical review
dpms a-15 review
dpms a15 review
dpms model a15
dpms sportical 308 review

dpms sportical review

what ar is right for me
which ar is best for me
which ar15 is right for me
Click on a term to search for related topics.