• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Is an AR the right choice for me?

This is a discussion on Is an AR the right choice for me? within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Originally Posted by boltstop For the OP: In Idaho? While you might be able or eligible to hunt with semi-auto .223, I don't recommend it. ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » Is an AR the right choice for me?

Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2011, 02:48 AM   #31
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 50134
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltstop View Post
For the OP: In Idaho? While you might be able or eligible to hunt with semi-auto .223, I don't recommend it. If you buy a higher-caliber AR (6.8, 6.5 Grendel, .260 Rem, .280 Rem, .308 Win) you will be paying over $1k for the parts. Assembly is really trivial. Go to AR15.com and get into the Armory section and use the photos and instructions. Honestly, a clever 9-year-old could be taught to do it in an hour's time. If you don't handload and choose to buy loaded ammo in the odder calibers, you can expect to spend $25+ per box of 20 - try stocking up for difficult times in weirdo calibers and you'll quickly find it's cheaper buying two guns than one.

Were I you, I'd buy a cheap AR kit and a lower in .223, spending in the neighborhood of $750 (Del-Ton). I'd self assemble, and collect 4-6 magazines and a minimum of 1k rounds ball. Then in 6 months, I'd save $580 and buy a Savage .308 bolt gun with a cheapo scope mounted, and maybe 100 rounds of decent hunting ammo. You'll be two decent rifles in at a lower total cost than if you try to cram two missions on one platform.

your the first person on this forum ive seen reccomend delton, shame they dont have more recognition than they do.

you are very off on your prices though. a 6.8 upper is only marginally more expensive than a 223 upper (like 50 bucks).
Remove Ads
Old 05-04-2011, 07:08 AM   #32
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 22296
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbs View Post
Lol since I take it you have no true experience other then being the all knowing forum poster I'd tell you to try hunting dear with it, but you probly don't see the sun too much so that's out of the question. The next best thing you could do would be to look at some charts, but again that maybe to much for you to handle seeing as how your IQ compairs with sea crustaceans. But give it a shot anyways...
Please, post the chart. I hope it's epic.

LOL.

Federal weapon statutes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Old 05-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #33
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55032
I am new, so I had to research this just to know what I could find:
A good paintball gun avgs 300-320 fps with some reports of it going as high as 460 through a chronos. They do note that after 310ish fps the trajectory gets skewed because of the seams on the ball.

On the Cheaper than Dirt page I found this info for a .223 Hornady TAP round (15462 - Ammo .223 Remington Hornady TAP FPD 60 Grain 3115 fps 20 Round Box)
2754 fps at 100 yards
2420 fps at 200 yards
2110 fps at 300 yards
1824 fps at 400 yards
1567 fps at 500 yards

So at even 500 yards its over 3 times faster than a paintball.

Looks like the statement above could be seen as trollish or even ignorant. But if he reads it, maybe now he will know.

Twin Springfield XD(m) 4.5 9MM
- Veridian Green Laser on one
Taurus PT1911AR .45
Taurus TCP
Ruger LCR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Old 05-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #34
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 42604
A Cetme may be worth looking into. .308 (7.62x51) and semi for ~$700 or less.

Could always get a used or surplus rifle for hunting. I've taken deer with my old Mauser. A Moisin or K31 would be equally effective, can be quite accurate, and are cheap. With this route you could get an AK, SK, cheap AR, PPS, PPSh, or the likes for defense.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #35
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 56494
Quote:
Originally Posted by scxd40 View Post
snip
you are very off on your prices though. a 6.8 upper is only marginally more expensive than a 223 upper (like 50 bucks).
I'd have to agree with you - It's been a few years since I've looked at the pricing on the higher caliber guns.

In just a couple of minutes of searching I found a sub-$1k new AR10 (Armalite) on Gunbroker. Most of the prices are about what I predicted, but if a cursory search has revealed something in this price range, it's possible that I could assemble an up-caliber AR in the $800 range if I find a vendor who isn't too concerned about making a 50% markup on his wares.

This has gotten some wheels turning in my fevered little brain.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #36
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 57200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cce1302 View Post
IMO, the A2 has the right balance of simplicity and ergonomics. full-length buttstock, attached carry handle, 20" barrel.

Most people (me included) don't need rails, scopes, collapsible stocks, and crap like that. the rifle pictured above handles and shoots well.

Could be that I just spent a lot of time with the M16A2 and I'm prejudiced against the A4 and M4 versions because they're not balanced as well. I carried all 3 at different times.

I just had to comment at that "carry handle" comment. The only reason I wanted to comment was because of the vivid memories and warnings of NEVER!!!!!! carry your rifle by that "thing" It's NOT a handle and you better not even refer to it as a handle.

That came from drill instructors at the world famous resort island named Parris.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #37
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 22296
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
I just had to comment at that "carry handle" comment. The only reason I wanted to comment was because of the vivid memories and warnings of NEVER!!!!!! carry your rifle by that "thing" It's NOT a handle and you better not even refer to it as a handle.

That came from drill instructors at the world famous resort island named Parris.

I agree that we don't carry it that way ("tight port arms") but that is the proper nomenclature.

I learned in a nice little town called Quantico (actually adjacent to the town).

S/F

Federal weapon statutes:
Old 05-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #38
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 11014
I'll reply in red so I don't miss anything important

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzplayer9 View Post
I'll get to the point, i want a multi purpose firearm.

-I need to be able to use it whitetail and mountain goat hunting,

Depending on your state laws, shouldn't be a problem. There are even different caliber upper receivers that use bullets that will harvest any game in North America including grizzly, elk, moose. The.50 Beuwolf and .458 Socom comes to mind.

Whitetail and mountain goat, can be taken with .223, but myself, I went with a 6.8 SPC upper (which is basically a short .270 bullet in a 30 cal casing)

-I need it to be reasonably affordable (also taking ammo into consideration, reloading is possible in the future) preferably the gun would be under $750

That sounds more like a statement than a question. Don't really know how to "answer" that one.

Having shot guns for nearly 40 years now, I don't really think any bullet is cheap anymore. At least compared to what they when I started shooting.

It'll be up to you to determine what you think is cheap.

-i need it to be 110% reliable in a defense situation (if i'm going to spend more than $500 on a firearm it better be reliable for defense) this also means i'd prefer a shorter barrel and lighter weight while still maintaining hunting accuracy out to about 100 yards

An AR can be very dependable, depending on how you service the weapon.

-As i have no experience assembling firearms i would need a book or manual of some form to walk me through it

They don't come with assembly instructions. Aside from a lot of resources available online, if you build, don't forget you'll need some specialized tools to be able to do it. Contrary to what you may read online, they don't just snap together.

-and lastly i need it to be legal for me as a civilian to own and use.

On a Federal level they are legal to own as long as you can own any other gun. The big determining factor would be to just look your state and local laws up to make sure they're not prohibited locally where you live

And it would all depend on how you tried to use it. There is no reason for me to have to say, there are a lot of ways a gun could be used in an illegal manner, but is up to the owner.

notes on what I've researched:
-As seen in the title, i understand the AR may not be the way to go

Then get something else.

-I've heard mixed reviews of DPMS

There are probably nearly 20 other AR manufacturers in the U.S. If you dont' want a DPMS, there are other choices out there.

-I've only heard that Remington's AR models are really stiff and tend to jam

Remington and DPMS (and Bushmaster) are owned by the same company. I have no reason to believe one would be any better than the other.

I am ignorant as to building an AR myself

Then don't build.

thank you in advance for any and all help or advice
-jazzplayer9
Old 05-04-2011, 11:52 PM   #39
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39350
do you have caliber restrictions for hunting?

GeorgiaCarry.org Member
National Rifle Association Member
Old 05-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #40
XDTalk Member

Member #: 36151
If you want an overall deer hunting/defense rifle I would say an AR is a good choice. You could always get a different upper, an AR-10, or DPMS .308 if you want a higher caliber round. For you I would say get a long barrel and collapsible buttstock. The long barrel will give you better ballistics and the collapsible buttstock will give you more flexibility.

SGT

USMC
1833 - Assault Amphibian Vehicle Crewman

Armament so far:
Springfield XDm .40
Walther PK380
Para Warthog .45
DPMS Sportical .308/7.62 NATO

"Ideas pull the trigger, but instinct loads the gun."

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

ar 15, defense, education, hunting, tactical

Search tags for this page
.223 stopping power
.223 stopping power hunting
6.8 spc vs 243

ar 15 stopping power

ar-15 stopping power
colt m16a2 rifle
dpms .223 sportical review
dpms 308 sportical review
dpms a-15 review
dpms a15 review
dpms model a15
dpms sportical 308 review

dpms sportical review

what ar is right for me
which ar is best for me
which ar15 is right for me
Click on a term to search for related topics.