• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Is an AR the right choice for me?

This is a discussion on Is an AR the right choice for me? within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Originally Posted by scxd40 for deer and goats at 100 yards a 223 is fine. BUT i wouldnt suggest shooting any further than that, and ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » Is an AR the right choice for me?

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #21
Hb2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 38880
Quote:
Originally Posted by scxd40 View Post
for deer and goats at 100 yards a 223 is fine. BUT i wouldnt suggest shooting any further than that, and you also cannot hunt anything larger than that. pigs shake off my .270 and my 7mm mag rounds like they are nothing, shooting a 223 at them is like using a pellet gun. if you are looking at a hunting rifle i really suggest a 308 minimum, just because a 223 has zero flexibility. there are several nicer rounds you can chamber in the AR like the 6.5 grendel and the 6.8spc but ammo is more pricey than 223 stuff.

my suggestion, buy a decent bolt action in a REAL cartridge for hunting (308 at minimum IMO), and assemble yourself an AR later to play with. howa hogues, remington 700, weatherbys, etc are all only a few hundred bucks and fine rifles off the shelf.

ALSO, you never listed your state. semi automatics are not allowed everywhere to hunt with. some states have minimum cartridge requirements higher than 223 also IIRC. so a 223 ar15 may not even be legal for you to hunt game animals with.
^^^Solid advice^^^
Remove Ads
Old 05-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #22
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbs View Post
Lol since I take it you have no true experience other then being the all knowing forum poster I'd tell you to try hunting dear with it, but you probly don't see the sun too much so that's out of the question. The next best thing you could do would be to look at some charts, but again that maybe to much for you to handle seeing as how your IQ compairs with sea crustaceans. But give it a shot anyways...
I've got firsthand experience taking deer (it's d-e-e-r, btw) with .223--from a handgun, at that. A 55gr Barnes TSX was one shot, one drop, after about a 10' hop. I've seen deer run (a LOT) farther after taking a 12ga slug...if you're not capable of properly placing the round, I guess it's fine to have to compensate with a larger caliber--but don't project your inadequacies onto others.

As for the charts, I'd love for you to post one that shows a .223 bullet moving at the same velocity of a paintball...if you can find it.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Old 05-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #23
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
I've got firsthand experience taking deer (it's d-e-e-r, btw) with .223--from a handgun, at that. A 55gr Barnes TSX was one shot, one drop, after about a 10' hop. I've seen deer run (a LOT) farther after taking a 12ga slug...if you're not capable of properly placing the round, I guess it's fine to have to compensate with a larger caliber--but don't project your inadequacies onto others.

As for the charts, I'd love for you to post one that shows a .223 bullet moving at the same velocity of a paintball...if you can find it.
Hey, he's got to know what he's talking about. After all, he has a Spike's Fake Can for his AR. It's cool.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #24
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 39092
Quote:
.223 Is the smallest round you can hunt with but would I hunt anything larger then a fox with it? No.

I'm sure people hunt with a ar-15 system, but I'm sorry that's just dumb. I love my Ar-15s to death but I would never hunt unless I didn't have any other larger rifle. The AR weapon system by nature is not a optimal hunting platform unless its really small game.And if your talking stopping power; even at 100yards its not coming much faster then a paintball. Defence on the other hand they are great. But I would much rather grab a pistol, or a shotgun for deference inside of my home.

My advice for you would be a AK-47 type weapon system, and heres why.
- They always work.
-The ammo is some of the lowest prices of any ammo out there.
-The round is huge compared to a 5.56
- If you spend decent money (ar-15 amounts) on a AK weapon system, your groups will be on par of that of most ARs.. with knockdown power you can count on.
Ive never seen so much misinformation and lack of knowledge in one post before. Im reporting you as a troll.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Old 05-03-2011, 11:04 PM   #25
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 12944
SA M1A Scout Squad in Walnut! Get two and give one to me.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #26
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 53858
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdfire View Post
Ive never seen so much misinformation and lack of knowledge in one post before. Im reporting you as a troll.
Yeah I'd have to agree...if the bullet moved that slow at 100yds...it would certainly be a TERRIBLE military round....

Some folks...lol
Old 05-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #27
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 39092
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCD1974 View Post
Yeah I'd have to agree...if the bullet moved that slow at 100yds...it would certainly be a TERRIBLE military round....

Some folks...lol
Ive qual'd for years on the M4 and M16 in the Marine Corps. Shot expert and rarely missed a 5 at the 500yd line. Its a solid shooter even out to 600-800yds. Ive taken deer, hogs, groundhogs, squirrels, birds,and god knows what else with a .223/5.56 many times. In 2 years Ive taken a mule deer and 2 whitetails with my AR15, clean kills. Ive also had some that have been runners. Most of the hogs I shoot drop quickly with spine or head shots, when I go for the shoulder they tend to run a couple hundred yds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Old 05-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #28
Troll Buster

Member #: 2152
Quote:
sea crustaceans....
On a gun forum? Really!

OK guys lets keep the conversation pointing north and on topic....and leave the sea life out of it.
/

Intelligence has nothing to do with politics. Londo Mollari, B5.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:20 AM   #29
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 37016
To meet all your needs, except budget:
Springfield M1A Scout Squad or
Springfield M1A SOCOM16

With budget in mind:
Remington 700 SPS Tactical or other variation
Old 05-04-2011, 02:18 AM   #30
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 56494
Quote:
Lol since I take it you have no true experience other then being the all knowing forum poster I'd tell you to try hunting dear with it, but you probly don't see the sun too much so that's out of the question. The next best thing you could do would be to look at some charts, but again that maybe to much for you to handle seeing as how your IQ compairs with sea crustaceans. But give it a shot anyways...
No, you really need to listen to him, and to shut your fool mouth.

NOW. Before another person realizes how wrong - and arrogant - you are.

For the OP: In Idaho? While you might be able or eligible to hunt with semi-auto .223, I don't recommend it. If you buy a higher-caliber AR (6.8, 6.5 Grendel, .260 Rem, .280 Rem, .308 Win) you will be paying over $1k for the parts. Assembly is really trivial. Go to AR15.com and get into the Armory section and use the photos and instructions. Honestly, a clever 9-year-old could be taught to do it in an hour's time. If you don't handload and choose to buy loaded ammo in the odder calibers, you can expect to spend $25+ per box of 20 - try stocking up for difficult times in weirdo calibers and you'll quickly find it's cheaper buying two guns than one.

Were I you, I'd buy a cheap AR kit and a lower in .223, spending in the neighborhood of $750 (Del-Ton). I'd self assemble, and collect 4-6 magazines and a minimum of 1k rounds ball. Then in 6 months, I'd save $580 and buy a Savage .308 bolt gun with a cheapo scope mounted, and maybe 100 rounds of decent hunting ammo. You'll be two decent rifles in at a lower total cost than if you try to cram two missions on one platform.

This is from a guy who's been doing this for around 12 years; I don't know a lot but I do know (sadly) how to waste money chasing dreams. And now, I know how NOT to waste money chasing dreams!
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

ar 15, defense, education, hunting, tactical

Search tags for this page
.223 stopping power
.223 stopping power hunting
6.8 spc vs 243

ar 15 stopping power

colt m16a2 rifle
dpms .223 sportical review
dpms 308 sportical review
dpms a-15 review
dpms a15 review
dpms model a15
dpms sportical 308 review

dpms sportical review

what ar is right for me
which ar is best for me
which ar15 is right for me
Click on a term to search for related topics.