• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Is an AR the right choice for me?

This is a discussion on Is an AR the right choice for me? within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; .223 is marginal IMO. Yes, i've used it on two WT tagged one and lost the other. I switched to a 6.8SPC (for more info ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » Is an AR the right choice for me?

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
XDTalk Member

Member #: 47036
.223 is marginal IMO. Yes, i've used it on two WT tagged one and lost the other. I switched to a 6.8SPC (for more info go to Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com) for medium sized game. This year we dropped right in tracks three whitetails. The 6.8 would meet most of your requirements, but from doing a goat hunt with the ranges and wind I would opt for the 30:06.
Remove Ads
Old 05-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #12
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 54830
.223 Is the smallest round you can hunt with but would I hunt anything larger then a fox with it? No.

I'm sure people hunt with a ar-15 system, but I'm sorry that's just dumb. I love my Ar-15s to death but I would never hunt unless I didn't have any other larger rifle. The AR weapon system by nature is not a optimal hunting platform unless its really small game.And if your talking stopping power; even at 100yards its not coming much faster then a paintball. Defence on the other hand they are great. But I would much rather grab a pistol, or a shotgun for deference inside of my home.

My advice for you would be a AK-47 type weapon system, and heres why.
- They always work.
-The ammo is some of the lowest prices of any ammo out there.
-The round is huge compared to a 5.56
- If you spend decent money (ar-15 amounts) on a AK weapon system, your groups will be on par of that of most ARs.. with knockdown power you can count on.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #13
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzplayer9 View Post
thanks for the replies all, as far as bolt action rifles go I am borrowing my dads ruger 30-06 but it does not satisfy the defense need, since it's a short term loan i'd prefer the one buy fix all =) as far as caliber goes, i've never shot anything other than 243 win. and 30-06 is the 223 really reliable for one shot kill on a white tail buck? (i only ever shoot inside of 150 yards, stalk hunting rather than stand or blind hunting)

again, thank you all for the replies,

jazzplayer9
If you can place your round with precision, a proper .223 bullet will drop a whitetail in it's tracks. My buddy has dropped several, one shot in the boiler room, that immediately went down.

However, if you aren't able to place your round exactly where you want it, .223 may not be a good choice.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Old 05-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #14
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbs View Post
.223 Is the smallest round you can hunt with but would I hunt anything larger then a fox with it? No.

I'm sure people hunt with a ar-15 system, but I'm sorry that's just dumb. I love my Ar-15s to death but I would never hunt unless I didn't have any other larger rifle. The AR weapon system by nature is not a optimal hunting platform unless its really small game.And if your talking stopping power; even at 100yards its not coming much faster then a paintball. Defence on the other hand they are great. But I would much rather grab a pistol, or a shotgun for deference inside of my home.

My advice for you would be a AK-47 type weapon system, and heres why.
- They always work.
-The ammo is some of the lowest prices of any ammo out there.
-The round is huge compared to a 5.56
- If you spend decent money (ar-15 amounts) on a AK weapon system, your groups will be on par of that of most ARs.. with knockdown power you can count on.
Sorry, but you're wrong on that one. Placed properly, a well constructed .223 round will work just fine against up whitetail sized game. And you aren't going to find many AK's that can outshoot an AR.

As for the bullet not being much faster at 100 yards than a paintball--sorry, but that's so wrong, you really shouldn't even consider giving advice here until you actually know what you're talking about.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Old 05-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55032
I have been pondering this question for myself as well. Just was never sure where to post it.

On one side I have the AR-15 style and fanboys and whatnot and on the other you have the precision shooters with their bolt actions. I guess I know eventually I will have both, but which to get first.

Lately I have been leaning towards a Remington 700 SPS Varmit in .308 ($75 rebate going on) and then later, I figure I can jump into the AR style carbines and get a 5.56.

I am not going hunting, so what I want is a gun that will let me thread the needle at 200-500 yards and I figure that will be fun to learn to do.

I think the simple fact that you want to have some sort of "defense" with the weapon would mean you want a semi auto and you see plenty of videos online with people hunting with AR style rifles so you pretty much answered your question. My question is what are you trying to defend from with a AR? Up close, Ill use my pistols, if the threat is a zombie running at the house from 200 yards or more, then I see a rifle making more sense.

Twin Springfield XD(m) 4.5 9MM
- Veridian Green Laser on one
Taurus PT1911AR .45
Taurus TCP
Ruger LCR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Old 05-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #16
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 56667
I was actually initially looking at panther arms model in .243 win. or 308. but i've heard mixed reviews about them and I'd rather not spend more than $750, they MSRP at around 1100 =/
Old 05-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #17
XDTalk Newbie

LOL as far as defense goes, no I'm not worried about zombies =) and I already have my Kahr pm9 (black rose edition) i've had a few minor run ins and found that holding my (empty) rifle intimidated the intruder far more than a pistol has in the past (3 occasions total) i'm just thankful I've never had to fire, but I'd like to have the semi auto capability if I had to fire, additionally... its just plain fun to shoot semi auto =)
Old 05-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #18
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 50134
for deer and goats at 100 yards a 223 is fine. BUT i wouldnt suggest shooting any further than that, and you also cannot hunt anything larger than that. pigs shake off my .270 and my 7mm mag rounds like they are nothing, shooting a 223 at them is like using a pellet gun. if you are looking at a hunting rifle i really suggest a 308 minimum, just because a 223 has zero flexibility. there are several nicer rounds you can chamber in the AR like the 6.5 grendel and the 6.8spc but ammo is more pricey than 223 stuff.

my suggestion, buy a decent bolt action in a REAL cartridge for hunting (308 at minimum IMO), and assemble yourself an AR later to play with. howa hogues, remington 700, weatherbys, etc are all only a few hundred bucks and fine rifles off the shelf.

ALSO, you never listed your state. semi automatics are not allowed everywhere to hunt with. some states have minimum cartridge requirements higher than 223 also IIRC. so a 223 ar15 may not even be legal for you to hunt game animals with.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #19
XDTalk Newbie

I'm in idaho, so as far as I know I'm good to hunt with almost anything short of a howitzer =) I'm hoping to avoid purchasing both i'd rather end up spending 1-1.5k on one firearm than 2+k on two (this is figuring in costs of customizations, upgrades and initial ammo)
Old 05-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #20
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 54830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
Sorry, but you're wrong on that one. Placed properly, a well constructed .223 round will work just fine against up whitetail sized game. And you aren't going to find many AK's that can outshoot an AR.

As for the bullet not being much faster at 100 yards than a paintball--sorry, but that's so wrong, you really shouldn't even consider giving advice here until you actually know what you're talking about.

Lol since I take it you have no true experience other then being the all knowing forum poster I'd tell you to try hunting dear with it, but you probly don't see the sun too much so that's out of the question. The next best thing you could do would be to look at some charts, but again that maybe to much for you to handle seeing as how your IQ compairs with sea crustaceans. But give it a shot anyways...
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

ar 15, defense, education, hunting, tactical

Search tags for this page
.223 stopping power
.223 stopping power hunting
6.8 spc vs 243

ar 15 stopping power

colt m16a2 rifle
dpms .223 sportical review
dpms 308 sportical review
dpms a-15 review
dpms a15 review
dpms model a15
dpms sportical 308 review

dpms sportical review

what ar is right for me
which ar is best for me
which ar15 is right for me
Click on a term to search for related topics.