• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Midwest Industries mid length drop in problems

This is a discussion on Midwest Industries mid length drop in problems within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I just got my MI drop in quad rail, installed it, and now I'm bummed because it's kinda sloppy. It felt a little loose at ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » Midwest Industries mid length drop in problems

Old 04-16-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 45875
Midwest Industries mid length drop in problems

I just got my MI drop in quad rail, installed it, and now I'm bummed because it's kinda sloppy. It felt a little loose at first and after I put my vertical grip on, it really felt loose. Rotates ever so slightly to the right and left(clockwise/counter clockwise)...I think the only reason it doesn't spin all the way around is the gas tube.

The front cap(?) behind the A2 sight is kinda loose, but I'm not sure if it's that or is it because of the whole drop in thing. Is there a way to tighten things up or should I just try and return this thing?
hau79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-17-2011, 12:39 AM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 42990
I bought a carbine length unit from them (MCTAR-17 "Gen 2") and it is SUPER tight...no movement what so ever...getting it on was even tough.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
XDTalk Newbie

Smokehouse, I have the same one and it was a pain to get on and especially off. I just got an email from Troy at MI and he suggest that the cap might be too far forward. Any ideas on how to flex it back? Do I just start tugging on it real hard?
Old 04-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 42990
Quote:
Originally Posted by hau79 View Post
Smokehouse, I have the same one and it was a pain to get on and especially off. I just got an email from Troy at MI and he suggest that the cap might be too far forward. Any ideas on how to flex it back? Do I just start tugging on it real hard?
You may have a few issues...(and I'm not expert so take this for what its worth):

A- Your delta ring may be lose, the weld spring that keeps tension on it may be worn out.

B- Your handguard cap may be lose (the cap that sits against your front sight post/gas block)

C- You handguard may be out of spec...aka a bad unit.

After looking at a gen 1 handguard from MI it seems there are 4 indexing screws on each end (they removed this from a gen 2)...possibly they bite into that "star" ring on the end of the barrel nut (on the receiver end of the barrel) thus removing the rotation problem.

Just shooting from the hip here buddy...hope some of this may help.

Here's a link to a diagram showing that parts of the AR upper to help you better describe your situation:

http://www.itstactical.com/wp-conten...5_DiagramB.gif

How to Keep Your AR Running, Part 2: Nomenclature and Cycle of Operation
Old 04-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

I believe the culprit is the handguard cap. The rep from MI suggest that the cap is too far forward. I can't figure out a way of moving it or how I might tighten it so it won't rotate.

I don't believe it's the delta ring, seems to have a lot of spring and pressure.

Hopefully the solution is something I can do myself...and hopefully the solution isn't buying a different handguard.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:24 AM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 34310
You did use a Delta ring removal tool, didn't you?
penguin327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

No. I had my friend pull down on the d ring and I installed the handguards...top then bottom.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

mi., midwest industries, quad rail

Search tags for this page
how do i take looseness out of 2 peice midwest handguard
m&p 15 assembly diagram

m&p 15 diagram

m&p 15 schematic diagram

mi gen 2 drop in

mi gen 2 drop in handguard review

mid length handguard drop in

midwest industries drop in quad rail

midwest industries drop in rail review

midwest industries gen 1 drop in handguard

part diagram where barrel screws into receiver

s&w m&p 15 parts list

Click on a term to search for related topics.