• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How do you know what type of buffer you need/want

This is a discussion on How do you know what type of buffer you need/want within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; So out of curiousity how do you know what type of buffer you have/need. I know M4 buffers are shorter correct? But beyond that I ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » How do you know what type of buffer you need/want

Old 02-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 15720
How do you know what type of buffer you need/want

So out of curiousity how do you know what type of buffer you have/need. I know M4 buffers are shorter correct? But beyond that I read on the army review of the m4 that certain buffer swap made it much more reliable. So umm if I am getting a used ar15 how do I know the type of buffer should be in there.

On top of that how do I know what type of buffer is ideal for 6.5 grendel? I have no idea.
yocan is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 38644
Buffers effect two things, primarily perceived recoil and then, ejection angle which changes with heavier buffers slowing down the process a bit.

Most are fine with the std. buffer supplied with their rifle. Others like to "tweek" a bit.

You might be interested in the back and forth here....................... http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...al-buffer.html

As you can see, opinions vary as to need/desirablity of heavier buffers.

XDM-9, XDSC-9, S&W M&P 15 OR
NRA member,USMC 66-69, Ex LEO
MPDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 31141
You need a carbine buffer and spring for a collapsible stock and a rifle length buffer and spring for a rifle stock. Then you can play with the weights of the particular length buffers according to your barrel length. You might want a heavier or lighter buffer in that length for your rifle.

Here's some talk about 6.5 grendel buffers, I don't own one and know nothing about them.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk...-out-here.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"God and guns
Keep us strong.
That's what this country
Was founded on.
Well, we might as well give up and run
If we let them take our God and guns."
ryr8828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 16467

This chart shows the desired ejection patterns. You can play with your buffer weights / spring combo to achieve it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

DONT TREAD ON ME

Deadcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 52609
deadcenter, very nice chart. mine is perfect.
f150baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 10643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadcenter View Post

This chart shows the desired ejection patterns. You can play with your buffer weights / spring combo to achieve it.
I've found that chart to be absurdly incorrect. The ejection pattern between 12 & 3 that shows a heavier buffer or M16 carrier recommended is exactly backwards. When I install an M16 carrier in any of my ARs, I get the 12-to-3 (mostly about 1:30) ejection pattern. Going back to the lighter AR carrier, which SPEEDS UP the action, makes for a more positive, correct ejection pattern. It's really simple h.s. physics. Whoever drew up that chart probably never took h.s. physics or failed, if they did.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

Search tags for this page
ar 15 buffer types
ar 15 buffer weight chart
ar 15 buffer weights explained
ar 15 which buffer should i use?
ar buffer chart
ar buffer springs on performance and type
ar buffer types

ar buffer weights

ar-15 buffer types
ar-15 buffer weights explained
ar15 buffer weights
ar15 carbine buffer weight
buffer chart
types of ar 15 buffers
what weight of buffer for 6.5 grendel
why different buffer weights in ar15?
Click on a term to search for related topics.