• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Self build AR, good deal and equip or no??

This is a discussion on Self build AR, good deal and equip or no?? within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I will list what I am planning on getting with all the options and a total price. I would really appreciate some feed back as ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » Self build AR, good deal and equip or no??

Old 09-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 49051
Question Self build AR, good deal and equip or no??

I will list what I am planning on getting with all the options and a total price. I would really appreciate some feed back as to whether it is a good deal and with good equipment. This will be a multi usage gun: plinking, target and HD. From everything I have read on here and on other forums it is always better to DIY, so to say. The way I am looking at I believe that I will get more bang for the buck. So enough with the jibber jabber and here it goes.

Del-Ton 16" M4 rifle kit with a Chrome lined 1:7 twist (UPDATED)
YHM ML Ext. Diamond Free Float Tube
BCG (from BCM) (UPDATED)
Phantom Aggressive end comp/brake
YHM Front gas block w/flip up sights (UPDATED)
Standard lower parts Charging handle w/Badger Tac Latch
M4 Feed ramps (Standard now no extra charge)
Magpul MIAD pistol grip (Dark Earth)
Magpul polymer trigger guard (Dark Earth)
Magpul Mil-Spec CTR buttstock (Dark Earth)
Magpul MOE (RVG) Rail Vertical Grip (Dark Earth)
Magpul XT full length rail panels (Dark Earth)
Ten (10) 30 round PMAGS (Dark Earth)
Spike's Tactical stripped lower receiver (UPDATED)

I will put everything together myself (I hope). I have looked at numerous manufacturers for lowers, uppers and full rifles, but this is, I think, an amazing deal for what I am getting.

So on to what I am guessing everyone is wondering, WHAT IS THE PRICE..............

$1010 no FFL fee for a grand total of $1010! You also get a discount from Del-Ton if you are a member of AR15.com and have an account with them (UPDATED)

Now I ask you to give me your opinions and thoughts whether that is truly a good deal and good equipment?

Still to purchase: XDM .40/XD .45 Tactical BLK & FDE/XDsc 9mm/XDsc .40/XDM 9mm/Remington 700 SPS Tactical/Del-Ton M4/SIG556/SIG522/Mossberg 930 SX

Maybe: RRA LAR-9

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Geaux Tigers!!
Who Dat!!

Last edited by booseman; 10-01-2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: UPDATED
booseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 38021
I have 2 "custom" DTI uppers and they are every bit as good as BCM...but the rest of BCM parts are superior.

A couple of questions for you:

Why pin/weld the muzzle break? If it was a 14.5" I would understand, but in LA your 16" is good without being welded.

Are you sure you really want a heavy bbl? They make the AR very front heavy, I would stick with the M4 profile IMHO.

Chrome BCG- I recommend you go with the BCM auto carrier, it is as good as it gets.

Badger Tac-latch- Go with the BCM Gunfighter CH, half the price.
BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Charging Handle for AR-15, M16, M4

A2 front sight- In the comment block when you order your upper, tell them you want a F-marked front sight. It is no extra charge and it will be the proper height for a flat top AR. DTI should do this automatically IMO but they don't.

FYI-Buffer tube- If you are going to order the mil-spec size CTR stock you can't use it with a DTI tube. DTI uses commercial size receiver extensions. BCM sales mil-spec at a reasonable price.

Good luck and post pics when your done!
1911XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 16050
The first thing that jumps out at me is: Why do you need to have a pinned & welded muzzle device on a 16" barrel? State law?

Many will argue that you can certainly get a better rifle for $1100, but you are getting a lot of extras in that package. If you're happy with it, I see nothing really wrong with the package. I have two Del-Ton complete uppers, and have been please with them, as well as with Del-Ton's Customer Service.

Just for comparison:

Spike's Tactical ST-15 Mid-Length LE carbine - $809.95. Add a CTR stock and 10 30-rd PMAGS = $1048.95 before FFL fee and shipping. Chart-friendly, but has no free-float hand guard or other Magpul furniture.

Daniel Defense M4V3 - $1149 before FFL fee at BudsGunShop (w/ free shipping). Includes Magpul MOE stock and DD vertical grip.

Here is one of my Del-Ton uppers on a lower I built. I think I have about $960 in this rifle as pictured:

Del-Ton complete upper, 1:9, chrome lined, M4 ramps, YHM Lightweight HG, YHM 5C2 hider/comp, YHM flip sight gas block, standard BCG, standard charging handle with Badger Tac Latch.
MATECH rear BUIS
DPMS stripped lower
DPMS LPK
Commercial M4 stock assembly
Tango Down QD stubby

I built this one from the ground up for $1160 in parts:

Superior Barrels Amynta 16.1" Recce barrel with Hard Blue (1:7, .223 Wylde chamber) and matched bolt
Superior Barrels Improved NM A2 flash hider
Daniel Defense bolt carrier
YHM A3 upper receiver, Specter gas block, Lightweight 12" HG
Bravo company Gunfighter CH
Troy fixed front and rear Battlesights
DPMS stripped lower
DPMS LPK
Bill Springfield 3# trigger job
DPMS ambi selector
MOE trigger guard
A1 stock assembly

$1100 can go a long way in the AR-15 world. It boils down to what is important to you. For a plinking/target/fun rifle, the Del-Ton kit package you listed should serve you well.

Melange still races...
hikeeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

I should mention I have the Full MIAD grip in FDE. I really love it...but... the rear portion of the grip kept sliding off and I had to epoxy it on. So my last 2 builds I put the MOE grip on, same feel, less money. I do like the Magpul trigger guard on the full grip, but I will just buy the guard separately.

Here is my DTI upper:

4150 steel

M4 feedramps

Phantom Mid-Evil break

Last edited by 1911XD; 09-30-2010 at 01:26 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911XD View Post
I have 2 "custom" DTI uppers and they are every bit as good as BCM...but the rest of BCM parts are superior.

A couple of questions for you:

Why pin/weld the muzzle break? If it was a 14.5" I would understand, but in LA your 16" is good without being welded.

Are you sure you really want a heavy bbl? They make the AR very front heavy, I would stick with the M4 profile IMHO.

Chrome BCG- I recommend you go with the BCM auto carrier, it is as good as it gets.

Badger Tac-latch- Go with the BCM Gunfighter CH, half the price.
BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Charging Handle for AR-15, M16, M4

A2 front sight- In the comment block when you order your upper, tell them you want a F-marked front sight. It is no extra charge and it will be the proper height for a flat top AR. DTI should do this automatically IMO but they don't.

FYI-Buffer tube- If you are going to order the mil-spec size CTR stock you can't use it with a DTI tube. DTI uses commercial size receiver extensions. BCM sales mil-spec at a reasonable price.

Good luck and post pics when your done!
The reason I am going with that set-up is because in order to get the 1:7 twist in the mid-length, not the M4, It has to be the heavy barrel. From everything I have read and seen it is better to get the mid-length than the M4. The M4 version is typically more harsh because it supposed to be shorter. Now if the "M4" version that Del-Ton sells is actually a 16" barrel and not a 14.5" then it might not be a problem. I will have to call Del-Ton to confirm. It is a little difficult though because I am in Iraq and there is a big time diff. As for the CTR stock I will have to change that to a commercial grade instead of Mil-Spec. If I dont need to go with a pinned & welded muzzle break then I will save the money.

As a side note: If you are a member of ar15.com and you send Del-Ton a PM they will give you an extra 10% off. So now I will be able to get a little more off my purchase price.

Still to purchase: XDM .40/XD .45 Tactical BLK & FDE/XDsc 9mm/XDsc .40/XDM 9mm/Remington 700 SPS Tactical/Del-Ton M4/SIG556/SIG522/Mossberg 930 SX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Geaux Tigers!!
Who Dat!!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikeeba View Post
The first thing that jumps out at me is: Why do you need to have a pinned & welded muzzle device on a 16" barrel? State law?

Many will argue that you can certainly get a better rifle for $1100, but you are getting a lot of extras in that package. If you're happy with it, I see nothing really wrong with the package. I have two Del-Ton complete uppers, and have been please with them, as well as with Del-Ton's Customer Service.

Just for comparison:

Spike's Tactical ST-15 Mid-Length LE carbine - $809.95. Add a CTR stock and 10 30-rd PMAGS = $1048.95 before FFL fee and shipping. Chart-friendly, but has no free-float hand guard or other Magpul furniture.

Daniel Defense M4V3 - $1149 before FFL fee at BudsGunShop (w/ free shipping). Includes Magpul MOE stock and DD vertical grip.

Here is one of my Del-Ton uppers on a lower I built. I think I have about $960 in this rifle as pictured:

Del-Ton complete upper, 1:9, chrome lined, M4 ramps, YHM Lightweight HG, YHM 5C2 hider/comp, YHM flip sight gas block, standard BCG, standard charging handle with Badger Tac Latch.
MATECH rear BUIS
DPMS stripped lower
DPMS LPK
Commercial M4 stock assembly
Tango Down QD stubby

I built this one from the ground up for $1160 in parts:

Superior Barrels Amynta 16.1" Recce barrel with Hard Blue (1:7, .223 Wylde chamber) and matched bolt
Superior Barrels Improved NM A2 flash hider
Daniel Defense bolt carrier
YHM A3 upper receiver, Specter gas block, Lightweight 12" HG
Bravo company Gunfighter CH
Troy fixed front and rear Battlesights
DPMS stripped lower
DPMS LPK
Bill Springfield 3# trigger job
DPMS ambi selector
MOE trigger guard
A1 stock assembly

$1100 can go a long way in the AR-15 world. It boils down to what is important to you. For a plinking/target/fun rifle, the Del-Ton kit package you listed should serve you well.
I completely agree with what you said about higher end riffles for around $1100 but they will not come with near as many extras. Since this will be my first build and first AR I think this is a great "First Time Buyer" gun. Like buying a house, start with something smaller and less expensive so you realize the actual cost of ownership. When I looked at others and added all the extra "toys" that I would want on the gun it came out much higher. The great thing about Del-Ton is I can customize it right on there website and not piece it out through multiple. That saves time and money when you only have to deal with one seller. IMHO

I really did consider DDM4 but after adding all the options it was way more than the Del-Ton. There is a really good read in the Nov issue of Guns & Weapons for law enforcement about both Daniel Defense and Del-Ton.

Geaux Tigers!!
Who Dat!!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:28 PM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 26172
well i have the YHM diamond free float and i love them!

I haven't stopped believing in god. I just stopped beliving he cares. There might be a god, there might not, but i dont think it matters. Either way were on our own.-Jace Wayland

If you want to polish your barrel click the link below

sourpatch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:37 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

I spent many yrs in Iraq, Taji, Mosul, Tall-Afar, and Tikrit. Since you are there you know that there is nothing wrong with the carbine gas system. Is the mid length softer and easier on the action... Sure... Big deal IMHO.

I have 4 carbine gas rifles and they work just fine. My Dad has a heavy barrel carbine and the balance is terrible! I hate it...YMMV.

Put a BCM BCG in your carbine gas rifle and you will be set for years of trouble free service.

The BCG is the HEART of the rifle, do not skimp on quality there.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:39 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch45 View Post
well i have the YHM diamond free float and i love them!
Yeah, those handguards are sick looking!! They are just pure sexiness!!

Geaux Tigers!!
Who Dat!!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:44 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911XD View Post
I spent many yrs in Iraq, Taji, Mosul, Tall-Afar, and Tikrit. Since you are there you know that there is nothing wrong with the carbine gas system. Is the mid length softer and easier on the action... Sure... Big deal IMHO.

I have 4 carbine gas rifles and they work just fine. My Dad has a heavy barrel carbine and the balance is terrible! I hate it...YMMV.

Put a BCM BCG in your carbine gas rifle and you will be set for years of trouble free service.

The BCG is the HEART of the rifle, do not skimp on quality there.
So I should just get the upper without the BCG and order one from BCM? Should I get the chrome lined BCG or not? I realize that the CL only makes it easier to clean but also adds some life....

Geaux Tigers!!
Who Dat!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

ar15, del-ton, dti

Search tags for this page
.223 in stock
ar 15 self build
fotos de el rifle m4
gun full piece self building kits
m4 self build

matech rear sight

self build ar-15

self build gun kits

yhm 5c2
yhm ext diamond free float

yhm ext. diamond free float tube

yhm ext. diamond specter length free float tube
yhm lightweight
yhm ml ext diamond free float
yhm ml ext. diamond free float tube
ymh ml ext diamond free float tube picture
Click on a term to search for related topics.