• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Self build AR, good deal and equip or no??

This is a discussion on Self build AR, good deal and equip or no?? within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Looking good, I'd stick with the midlength gas system, they all can't be wrong... Here's another option for a bcg, G&R. I have no complaints ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » Self build AR, good deal and equip or no??

Old 09-30-2010, 12:51 AM   #11
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 27513
Looking good, I'd stick with the midlength gas system, they all can't be wrong...
Here's another option for a bcg, G&R. I have no complaints with mine. Of course, the "high dollar" bcgs look real interesting... YNM and FailZero. A milspec tube and a 50% VLTOR Modstock from BCM is worth consideration...
Good Luck and stay safe
Old 09-30-2010, 01:15 AM   #12
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 16467
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911XD View Post
I should mention I have the Full MAID grip in FDE. I really love it...but... the rear portion of the grip kept sliding off and I had to epoxy it on. *SNIP*
Hrm ... my MIAD came with a roll-pin to semi-permanently attach the rear part of the grip ... maybe this is a new development?

I only got it last month.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

DONT TREAD ON ME

Deadcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:22 AM   #13
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 38021
Quote:
Originally Posted by booseman View Post
So I should just get the upper without the BCG and order one from BCM? Should I get the chrome lined BCG or not? I realize that the CL only makes it easier to clean but also adds some life....
That is what I did, a mil-spec BCG (BCM is one of them) will be partially CL. The 9130 steel and shop peening is more important IMHO than a CL BCG, it is your call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyak3 View Post
Looking good, I'd stick with the midlength gas system, they all can't be wrong...
There are advantages to a middy, I am not denying it. I am simply questioning the advantage over the HUGE (IMO) disadvantage of a heavy bbl.

If I where to buy a new upper, I would buy the 14.5 (+perm FH) mid length BCM upper.

Half of my carbines are 14.5, and my work horse 14.5 Bushy is my favorite. It doesn't have all the 'Right' specs, but it is the proverbial sewing machine. It has a mil-spec auto w/ xtra pwr extractor spring BCG, forged CH and upgraded buffer spring. Runs all day long.

1911XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:24 AM   #14
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadcenter View Post
Hrm ... my MIAD came with a roll-pin to semi-permanently attach the rear part of the grip ... maybe this is a new development?

I only got it last month.
I got mine a few yrs back... it only had a plastic clip on the bottom...errr... maybe I never installed the pin??
Old 09-30-2010, 02:08 AM   #15
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 16467
Quote:
I got mine a few yrs back... it only had a plastic clip on the bottom...errr... maybe I never installed the pin??
it goes right here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

DONT TREAD ON ME

Deadcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:54 AM   #16
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 49051
Quote:
That is what I did, a mil-spec BCG (BCM is one of them) will be partially CL. The 9130 steel and shop peening is more important IMHO than a CL BCG, it is your call.

There are advantages to a middy, I am not denying it. I am simply questioning the advantage over the HUGE (IMO) disadvantage of a heavy bbl.

If I where to buy a new upper, I would buy the 14.5 (+perm FH) mid length BCM upper.

Half of my carbines are 14.5, and my work horse 14.5 Bushy is my favorite. It doesn't have all the 'Right' specs, but it is the proverbial sewing machine. It has a mil-spec auto w/ xtra pwr extractor spring BCG, forged CH and upgraded buffer spring. Runs all day long.

First off those are beautiful. I have reconsidered and decided to go with the M4 version kit even though it is a little more expensive. After considering all the pros and cons the hvy bbl is just a HUGE drawback. I have also decided to go haead and order it without the BCG and get one from BCM. They have the BCG (MPI) - Auto for 139.95 In Stock.

Still to purchase: XDM .40/XD .45 Tactical BLK & FDE/XDsc 9mm/XDsc .40/XDM 9mm/Remington 700 SPS Tactical/Del-Ton M4/SIG556/SIG522/Mossberg 930 SX

Maybe: RRA LAR-9

Geaux Tigers!!
Who Dat!!
booseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:05 AM   #17
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 27513
Longer barrel = more velocity and accuracy. I guess one has to tailor the weapon to meet his needs. My 18" 1/8 twist 410SS fluted Saber Defense SPR barrel is not heavy or unwieldy by any means, esp with a DD M49.0 FF rail, very accurate if I do my part... here's my 556 fun gun...
good luck with your build.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:51 AM   #18
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 49051
That is a sweet rifle. You are correct, the longer the bbl the better the accuracy is.

Still to purchase: XDM .40/XD .45 Tactical BLK & FDE/XDsc 9mm/XDsc .40/XDM 9mm/Remington 700 SPS Tactical/Del-Ton M4/SIG556/SIG522/Mossberg 930 SX

Maybe: RRA LAR-9

Geaux Tigers!!
Who Dat!!
booseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #19
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadcenter View Post
it goes right here
I figured it out after the post.... Real MEN don't need instructions...right

Quote:
First off those are beautiful. I have reconsidered and decided to go with the M4 version kit even though it is a little more expensive. After considering all the pros and cons the hvy bbl is just a HUGE drawback. I have also decided to go haead and order it without the BCG and get one from BCM. They have the BCG (MPI) - Auto for 139.95 In Stock.
Excellent choice.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:54 AM   #20
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 33132
Quote:
That is a sweet rifle. You are correct, the longer the bbl the better the accuracy is.
Not true. Longer barrel means more velocity but accuracy is dependent on the quality of the barrel not the length.

Check what bench rest shooters use, short heavy barrels.

don
dglock is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

ar15, del-ton, dti

Search tags for this page
.223 in stock
ar 15 self build
fotos de el rifle m4
gun full piece self building kits
m4 self build

matech rear sight

self build ar-15

self build gun kits

yhm 5c2
yhm ext diamond free float

yhm ext. diamond free float tube

yhm ext. diamond specter length free float tube
yhm lightweight
yhm ml ext diamond free float
yhm ml ext. diamond free float tube
ymh ml ext diamond free float tube picture
Click on a term to search for related topics.