• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

RRA predator pursuit

This is a discussion on RRA predator pursuit within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Opinions on RRA predator pursuit w/20" barrel requested . I am thinking about buying one of these as my first AR15. It has a 1:8x ...

Old 09-07-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 48468
RRA predator pursuit

Opinions on RRA predator pursuit w/20" barrel requested.
I am thinking about buying one of these as my first AR15.
It has a 1:8x barrel so I can shoot 77gr SMK's
I had a PTR 91 MSG perimeter rifle in 308, but did not like the recoil, so wanted to go with a 223, but shoot heavier bullets.

I would be using this for coyotes, and eventually 3-gun.
Any recommendations?
Trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 47036
Personally, I like the RRA line (heck I even have a couple of Bushmasters), now if you was to ask this question on a couple of other forums you might be flamed for asking and not considering one of the other "top of the chart" platforms.

Anyway, this rifle should do just fine. The 1:8 twist is a compromise between the 1:9 and the 1:7. Once you get the rifle, you will need to fire different rounds to see which bullet seems to fit the rife. I have two rifles with same twist, one likes soft points the other likes V-max's in the same weight. For "yotes" I usually load up with 55 grain soft points and have yet to loose one or not have it pile up on the spot.

For 3-gun, I would recommend putting on a compensator or brake of some type. The 5.56 recoil is tame, but for putting three fast shots on target in the A-zone, a compensator will definately decrease overall time. Also you may want to look at a collapsable M-4 stock with a good rubber or solid rasped butt plate to precent slippage. I also like the standard barrel configuration with a short barrel as it is definitely helps in picking up targets as it seems to swing faster than a heavier barrel. But it is all a matter of preference. No matter what you buy, you will enjoy shooting it..
WKshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 16050
I think the RRA Predator Pusuit packages appear to be solid values. The .223 Wylde chambering is nice, as is the included NM 2-stage trigger.

How far out are you planning to hit coyotes? Think about that, and relate it to your plans for shooting 3-gun in the future. If you'll be taking coyotes within the 300-yard range, I'd consider the 16" mid-gas Predator Pursuit rifle over the 20". The 16" will still have good accuracy out to, and probably beyond, 300 yards, but it will be lighter weight and a little easier to manuever (thinking 3-gun, mostly).

You could try shooting the rifle as-is for 3-gun. See how it goes before you swap out the stock or send the barrel away to be threaded for a muzzle device. Unless you have the $$ for that stuff, in which case I say knock yourself out and set it up to your liking.

Melange still races...
hikeeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 38588
One other consideration is the barrel (regardless of brand).

If you start shooting a lot you might want the ability to run 5.56 NATO surplus.
Joshua 24:14-15

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
joshua79109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 4980
I like the satisfaction of building my own AR (haven't done an upper yet), but I think if you want to get a production rifle RRA is 1 among many good brands to choose from. Arfcommers will tell you to buy Noveske or you're wasting your time. Of course, some of us don't have $1200+ to drop on an AR.

You always have the option of finding a nice upper and then building your own lower to go with it. The lower receiver can be assembled with few special tools (castle nut wrench and some punches)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
: Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?
cjive134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua79109 View Post
One other consideration is the barrel (regardless of brand).

If you start shooting a lot you might want the ability to run 5.56 NATO surplus.
The RRA Predator Pursuit rifles are chambered in .223 Wylde. One can safely shoot both .223 and 5.56 rounds in a .223 Wylde chamber. Shooting surplus ammo wouldn't be an issue.

Melange still races...
Old 09-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 47675
I'm considering the PP in 16" for my first AR. I looked at the 'coyote' a few weeks ago, but I'm pretty sure I like the PP better.

Any other comments/thoughts?
ccasanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccasanova View Post
I'm considering the PP in 16" for my first AR. I looked at the 'coyote' a few weeks ago, but I'm pretty sure I like the PP better.

Any other comments/thoughts?
If I had to choose between the 16" PP and the 16" Coyote, I'd choose the 16" PP. My reasons would be:

-.223 Wylde Chamber (Coyote has 5.56 NATO)
- 1:8 twist (Coyote states 1:9)
- Match-grade stainless barrel (Coyote has chrome moly HBAR, and since it doesn't say if it is chrome lined or not, I'll assume it's not).
- Mid-length gas system (Coyote has carbine-length gas system)
- Lower MSRP than Coyote.

Basically, the barrel and gas system on the PP suit my preferences/desires more than those on the Coyote. You may have different ideas about how you want your rifle to be setup, and what you want to do with it. If you're interested in more accuracy potential, and are choosing between the RRA PP and the RRA Coyote, I say go for the PP (even though RRA states both rifles are good for 3/4 MOA @ 100 yards).

Buying your first AR is tough. So many choices... But don't worry - buying your second one will be much easier. The thrid one will be a no-brainer. And chances are you'll build your fourth one from the ground up.

Melange still races...
Old 09-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 10643
As I've posted in other threads, old friend of mine recently acquired a 20" Predator Pursuit. Shoots one-hole groups, using el-cheapo fmj ammo. 16" would be equally accurate, just with a little less velocity.

Believe-it-or-not, one can actually know something about ARs and not post the words "Noveske" and "LaRue" in a thread like this!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 43004
I have the 20" Predator pursuit upper on a lower that I built with a RRA NM two stage trigger kit. I really like it and it has a pretty heavy barrel under the handguards. If you are going to shoot over 300yrds then stick with the 20" version but realistically most people dont so save yourself the weight and try the 16" version. Mine weighs 10.5lbs with a scope and bipod on it.
RemMan700 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

Search tags for this page
predator pursuit reviews
rock river ar 10 predator hp reviews

rock river arms predator pursuit

rock river arms predator pursuit review

rock river arms predator pursuit reviews

rock river predator pursuit

rock river predator pursuit accuracy

rock river predator pursuit review

rock river predator pursuit reviews
rock river predator review

rra predator pursuit

rra predator pursuit accuracy

rra predator pursuit review

rra predator pursuit reviews
rra predator pursuit rifle review
rra predator reviews
Click on a term to search for related topics.