• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

So you want to buy an AR-15 - FAQs RRA update

This is a discussion on So you want to buy an AR-15 - FAQs RRA update within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Ok I have a RRA AR-15 Operator 2... After reading the So you want to buy an AR-15 - FAQs thread I thought I throw ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » So you want to buy an AR-15 - FAQs RRA update

Old 08-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 41457
So you want to buy an AR-15 - FAQs RRA update

Ok I have a RRA AR-15 Operator 2... After reading the So you want to buy an AR-15 - FAQs thread I thought I throw some updates at this thread as far as RRA goes.. The thread linked above (p.4) the poster stated that the RRA has no M4 feed ramp WELL IT NOW DOES! He also stated that the Gas Key is not properly staked WELL IT IS NOW. Anyways I was just looking to update the RRA AR-15 status.. I will post pics soon!
XD.45 Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 41457
Quote:
Originally Posted by XD.45 Dude View Post
Ok I have a RRA AR-15 Operator 2... After reading the So you want to buy an AR-15 - FAQs thread I thought I throw some updates at this thread as far as RRA goes.. The thread linked above (p.4) the poster stated that the RRA has no M4 feed ramp WELL IT NOW DOES! He also stated that the Gas Key is not properly staked WELL IT IS NOW. Anyways I was just looking to update the RRA AR-15 status.. I will post pics soon!
OK how do I post pics on this site?????????
XD.45 Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 67
Check out Tom Swift's thread
in the stickies.

Ed
Old 08-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
XDTalk Member

Member #: 47036
For what it's worth, I just checked my RRA Operator Elite (purchased a few months ago) and it lacks a "true" M4 cut. The staking on the gas key appears to have been done, but when looked at under the magnifying glass looks like none of the indents is in contact with the caps on the bolts. Also the castle nut is not staked.

But despite the flaws (true cult M4 owners) the rifle does what I ask of it. It shoots...there is plenty of opinion out there that a rifle with such obvious flaws 'is and would not' be combat ready. Well, I guess I'm not shooting combat or expect to in the near future.. would I trust the rifle to come to my aid.. of course.

I read all the different forums and the comparison of rifle platforms is like trying to compare 1911's or trying to decide on the best defensive pistol. Truth be told, you "run with what you got". I would be more wary of a person who has a beat-up, no-name A-1 type AR with shiny brass stains on the deflector than facing down a person with a spotless LE6920 with all the "right" gear. Reading all the different opinions can just drive a person crazy.

I think no matter what you buy, you will enjoy the heck out of it. Hell I had an old Olympic battle rifle since 1990 and never knew it was a subpar rifle until I started reading the different forums. I just know at 100 yards with a handle mounted scope, I was shooting 1/2" groups.
WKshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 998
I guess after 2 Iraq deployments and a lot of experience in military force modernization I can honestly say I have no desire to worship the milspec mantra.

I've seen everything you can imagine fall apart, break or wear out. Some items are better than others. I think the colt M4's are great rifles, but I could care less if my feed ramp is a true M4 or if my gas key is "properly staked". I never feared my chromemoly barrel rusting out because it wasn't chrome lined.

My RRA 20" A3 and DPMS AP4 have been flawless in performance. I'll worry if I ever have to give it to joe and pray he doesn't run over it with a mine roller or not clean it after he falls in a canal.

I admit the BCM's and Colts are nice, but if you have a set budget and you don't plan on invading Iraq I'd say you are just fine going with the sub-par bushmaster, RRA and DPMS rifles of the world.
nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 47296
Ditto, my RRA LAR-15 has been flawless.

Quote:
We have become the consumers instead of the innovators. We have become the buyers and not the builders. We have lost our enterprising ingenuity to be replaced by over consumerism and banal idolatry and infighting. We have become pompous and overconfident amongst rising nations who have drive and focus to defeat us. It's time to wake up~!
Posted by Shibal_Z on the G35Driver.com forum
TexasScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 47036
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing View Post
I guess after 2 Iraq deployments and a lot of experience in military force modernization I can honestly say I have no desire to worship the milspec mantra.

My RRA 20" A3 and DPMS AP4 have been flawless in performance.

I admit the BCM's and Colts are nice, but if you have a set budget and you don't plan on invading Iraq I'd say you are just fine going with the sub-par bushmaster, RRA and DPMS rifles of the world.

I couldn't agree with you more, very well put and thank you for your service...
WKshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 10643
The "improperly staked" gas key blather is just something for the dilettantes to post about, making themselves seem to be more knowledgeable than they really are! There's nothing wrong with RRA. If I bought one that was not for target/varmint use, I'd opt for the chrome-lined barrel.

Using the words "LaRue and/or "Noveske" in a post doesn't really mean that the one doing the posting is any smarter/more knowledgeable than anybody else on the forum.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 35495
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing View Post

I've seen everything you can imagine fall apart, break or wear out. Some items are better than others. I think the colt M4's are great rifles, but I could care less if my feed ramp is a true M4 or if my gas key is "properly staked". I never feared my chromemoly barrel rusting out because it wasn't chrome lined.

My RRA 20" A3 and DPMS AP4 have been flawless in performance. I'll worry if I ever have to give it to joe and pray he doesn't run over it with a mine roller or not clean it after he falls in a canal.

Great post!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

Search tags for this page
lar 15 review

rock river arms elite operator 2 review

rock river arms lar-15 review

rock river arms operator 3 review
rock river arms operator iii review
rock river arms operator review
rock river arms review
rock river arms reviews lar-15

rock river elite operator 2 review

rock river lar 15 review

rock river operator 2 review

rock river operator 3 review

rra elite operator 2 review

rra lar 15 review

rra lar-15 review

rra operator 3 review
Click on a term to search for related topics.