• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Sighting-In the Aimpoint

This is a discussion on Sighting-In the Aimpoint within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I haven't had any problems with actually making the adjustments to zero the scope, I just wanted to know at what range to sight it ...

Old 08-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 40024
Sighting-In the Aimpoint

I haven't had any problems with actually making the adjustments to zero the scope, I just wanted to know at what range to sight it in at? Right now I have it sighted in at 25yds, but at 100yds it was impacting really high (about 7in. high). Now I understand why it does this, i'm just wandering if I were to sight it in at 50yrds if it would make it a little more accurate at the 100yd range. I'm kinda wanting to make it an accurate 25yd-200ish yd gun. So at what range should I sight in my Comp M3 Aimpoint optic? Does anyone have any info/research on ballastics for an AR-15? Thanks guys!
tazfootball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 38588
50 yard zero is much better in my opinion.

I used the 25 yard for a long time and as long as you know the drop for different distances it's fine too.
Joshua 24:14-15

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
joshua79109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 36918
A quick google search and you will have plenty to read on the subject. From what I understand, a 50 yard zero is better all around. Here is a google search with a few things to read.
Click to View Search Results for 50 yard BZO - Google Search 50 yard BZO - Google Search

Here's another link too http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/76367-50-yard-ibz.html
Reyalp70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 47330
Sight it at 100 yards. That's what the military usually does.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 23438
do 50 yard zero, then the max high is only 2-2.5" If you do a 25 yard zero it goes as high as 10" Much more predictible, dont have to worry about hold unders etc.

chart is for a 14.5" barrel but basically the same for 16"
Old 08-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 40024
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTehNguyen View Post
do 50 yard zero, then the max high is only 2-2.5" If you do a 25 yard zero it goes as high as 10" Much more predictible, dont have to worry about hold unders etc.

chart is for a 14.5" barrel but basically the same for 16"
That's exactly the chart I found the other night, just forgot to bookmark it. Thanks a lot man, just what I was looking for!
tazfootball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 47661
50 yard zero is the way to go. not only is it better for your line of sight in relation to trajectory, the aimpoint is parallax-free at 5o yards.
thecolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 16050
tazfootball2, if you haven't done so already, take a look at the zeroing tips on the Aimpoint website: Aimpoint : How to zero your Aimpoint sight

Warning: If you are easily confused and/or have OCD-type tendencies to over-think/over-analyze things way beyond regular human reasoning, do yourself a favor and skip the following paragraph, and go straight to 'After excessively pondering...'.

I have long been a fan of iron sights on rifles. While I am not entirely new to the AR platform, I am new to using optics on the AR. I've recently acquired a red dot optic and have been reading various different methods on how to zero it. I got somewhat wrapped up in the fact that a 1x optic that has a lower 1/3 co-witness with the iron sights has a higher sightline over bore than the irons with the dot centered in the optic. Because the centerline/sightline of an optic with a lower 1/3 co-witness is higher over bore, the ballistics chart that Nguyen posted - assuming the chart applies the the iron sights - would theoretically be slightly off. Basically speaking, the centerline for the optic with a lower 1/3 co-witness is higher over bore than the irons, therefore the bore would need to be pitched upwards ever-so slightly to match the irons 50yd POI/zero. As a result, POI between the Aimpoint/1x optic should in theory be off of the irons POI at 200yds. Not by much, but off nonetheless. In theory.

After excessively pondering all that theoretical crap, I snapped out of the mind-boggling fog I was in and realized that the iron sights and the Aimpoint/Red dot/1x optic with a lower 1/3 co-witness are two completely separate sighting systems on the same weapon, and both should zeroed independently of each other. That's my thinking, and I'm going to stick with it.

Based on the reading I've done, here's how I plan to zero my lower 1/3 co-witness 1x red dot optic:

-Zero the optic to POI at 50 yards.
-Check zero at 200 yards. POI and POA should be pretty close. Fine tune as needed.
-Verify zero again at 50 yards, but DO NOT ADJUST. Adjusting the optic at this point will throw the 200yd zero off.
-Shoot at 100 yards, note where POI is in relation to POA. Again, DO NOT ADJUST the optic.

Other things to consider:
-Try to use the same type ammo when zeroing.
-Use the red dot at its lowest visible brightness setting for you when zeroing. It is said this will produce more accurate results.

Sorry for the excessive crippity-crap. I hope it helps you, anyways.

Melange still races...
hikeeba is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

Search tags for this page
adjusting point of aim on aimpoint pro
aimpoint pro and iron sight bzo
aimpoint pro sighting in
aimpoint pro sighting in range
how to adjust aimpoint pro
how to co witness and zero aimpoint pro
how to sight aimpoint pro
how to sight in a aimpoint pro
how to sight in aimpoint
how to use aimpoint pro
how to zero aimpoint pro
is a 25 yard zero with a aimpoint good

sighting in aimpoint pro

sighting in an aimpoint scope
sighting in my aimpoint pro
what range should i zero my aimpoint optic at
Click on a term to search for related topics.