• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Opinion on Stag vs. S&W

This is a discussion on Opinion on Stag vs. S&W within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Originally Posted by Fdxpilot Stags have no M4 feed ramps. Stag Arms 5.56mm 16" M4 Profile Barrel w/Extended M4 Feed Ramp Cuts...

Old 08-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 46422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdxpilot View Post
Stags have no M4 feed ramps.

Stag Arms 5.56mm 16" M4 Profile Barrel w/Extended M4 Feed Ramp Cuts
Mudinyeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28247
Yes, "O Rly." Funny how if you go up one level on that page,

Barrels and Barrel Parts
you see that item right next to "Stag Arms 5.56mm 16" M4 Profile Barrel" which has no M4 feed ramps. Even I can take a dremel to my 5H upper and cut some feed ramps in the barrel extension and receiver. They sure don't come that way from Stag.

If you go to Stag's own website, you see lots of mentions of "M4 profile" barrels and M4 handguards, but not one mention of M4 feedramps.

BTW - Do you actually own a Stag with M4 feedramps "from Stag," or are you just posting to see your words in print?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #13
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 25664
my late 08 stag lefty has no M4 feed ramp, but has been no issue through 600 rounds
Old 08-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
XDTalk 2K Member

Quote:
Yes, "O Rly." Funny how if you go up one level on that page,

Barrels and Barrel Parts
you see that item right next to "Stag Arms 5.56mm 16" M4 Profile Barrel" which has no M4 feed ramps. Even I can take a dremel to my 5H upper and cut some feed ramps in the barrel extension and receiver. They sure don't come that way from Stag.

If you go to Stag's own website, you see lots of mentions of "M4 profile" barrels and M4 handguards, but not one mention of M4 feedramps.

BTW - Do you actually own a Stag with M4 feedramps "from Stag," or are you just posting to see your words in print?
No, I don't own a Stag, but I have a buddy who is a FFL and sells them. He has a number of very satisfied customers.

Have you had issues with your Stag feeding?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #15
TMP
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 21084
I've got a Stag Model 2 in the stable, no M4 feeders, which I built from a kit. The only upgrade it really needs is a BCM BCG.
No issues in 500 rounds.
TMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #16
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudinyeri View Post
No, I don't own a Stag, but I have a buddy who is a FFL and sells them. He has a number of very satisfied customers.

Have you had issues with your Stag feeding?
I started out just answering the question "if Stag uses M4 feed ramps?" The answer to that, on every Stag I have ever seen, is no. As I mentioned in my first post, I have a Stag 5H 6.8SPC. While the lack of M4 feedramps is not too much of a problem for a 5.56/.223 rifle, in 6.8SPC, it can be a big detriment. While many guys have gotten their Model 5 or 7 Stags to work, mine never has. The upper I bought to replace the Stag has M4 ramps and has had no problems feeding so far, although I have only put about 120 rounds through it so far.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #17
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 28317
I owned a Stag 1L and had occasional problems with FTRB and other minor feed issues.

I have a S&W M&P15OR and to date I have had *zero* issues.

There are a few "upgrades" when comparing S&W to the Stag, I suppose. I think Stag is a great rifle, but the Smith seems just a bit better.
*IN Lifetime Permit
rbstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:43 AM   #18
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 47892
I have the S&W and have two in my time owning black rifles. I will say that I have never looked back and would buy the Smith over and over again. Great products if you ask me.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:53 AM   #19
XDTalk 2K Member

Quote:
I started out just answering the question "if Stag uses M4 feed ramps?" The answer to that, on every Stag I have ever seen, is no. As I mentioned in my first post, I have a Stag 5H 6.8SPC. While the lack of M4 feedramps is not too much of a problem for a 5.56/.223 rifle, in 6.8SPC, it can be a big detriment. While many guys have gotten their Model 5 or 7 Stags to work, mine never has. The upper I bought to replace the Stag has M4 ramps and has had no problems feeding so far, although I have only put about 120 rounds through it so far.
Gotcha!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #20
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 43004
The Smith might be considered slightly better then the Stag. Smith uses 4150 steel for the barrel where Stag is 4140. I believe they both batch test bolts instead of individually testing each bolt. The Stag does not have M4 feed ramps... which is a non-issue unless you are running a full auto rifle. My question to the OP is "What is causing you to want to possibly switch to the S&W?". I personally dont see any benefit in switching when you already own the Stag. Stag makes a great product for the money and the Smith is not going to do anything more then the Stag can do.
RemMan700 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

Search tags for this page
do all stag arm rifles have m4 ramps
does the m4 feed ramps come on the barrel extension on the stag arms
does the stag arms h2 have m4 feed ramps
new stag arms m4 feed ramps
smith and wesson m p 15 vs stag
stag 5h review
stag arms 5h reviews
stag arms 5h vs 7h
stag arms rifles with m4 feed ramps

stag arms t2

stag arms updated feed ramps
stag arms upper receiver m4 feed ramps
stag model 1 review

stag t2 review

stag vs smith and wesson
with and wesson vs stag arms
Click on a term to search for related topics.