• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Surplus Ammo & Arms lower

This is a discussion on Surplus Ammo & Arms lower within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; My Aero Precision/Surplus Ammo & Arms lower got here today. It had a nice low serial number to boot. It looks really well made. Especially ...

Old 06-04-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 11014
Surplus Ammo & Arms lower

My Aero Precision/Surplus Ammo & Arms lower got here today. It had a nice low serial number to boot.

It looks really well made. Especially since I picked it up during a group buy for $65 delivered.

Just for giggles, I wanted to do an impromtu test to check the tolerances.

I inserted an early version magpul mag, and placed a partially stripped Bushmaster A2 upper to check it out.

The (loaded) magpul mag dropped free and felt nice. I didn't take the time to unload the mag and check but I think that it would drop free empty as well.

I also tried 3 Colt mags. 2 of them would drop effortlessly, though in defense of the lower, the mag that didn't drop free has a lot of rub marks on the corners from previous use in other guns, so it may've been a little out of spec from dropping it while doing speed reloads. Though I don't remember having a problem with any of the Colt mags previously, but I'll keep an eye on that one mag in the future and have moved it to the range only mag drawer in the meantime.

3 of 3 OK Center mags dropped free

3 of 3 D&H mags dropped free

3 of 3 asian import mags dropped free

Both Orlite mags failed to drop free. One of them didn't even want to go in, but I've had those mags for a very very long time and I don't remember using them in years, so they're probably at the end of their service life. I got them out of the range drawer just out of curiosity.

A Bushmaster 10 round ban mag also dropped free
I appreciated the fact that the magwell had very nice defined square corners (inside) that were not as rounded as some others I have seen.

The pin holes lined up perfectly with the spare upper. All of the other upper/lower mating surfaces were good too.

The only thing I noticed that may be an issue for some folks (not me) is it had a high shelf that would need milled if anyone were to try to use a dias or LL with one.

The anodize is mediocre and isn't as thick as some lowers I've seen and thicker than some others. Overall, on a scale of 1-10, I think it would be about a 4. That is my biggest drawback with it, but for the most part, I think it's fairly adequate.

I think I have decided on a 7.62x39 Model1 upper for it. Cut back to 19.5 inch barrel and rethreaded for 1/2-28 so I can use my suppressor on it when I want to. Flat top upper, freefloat, etc. because I plan to make this my medium/large game rifle. I also plan to get a camo dip kit when it gets closer to time because I am a big fan of the Natural Gear camo pattern because it works so well where I hunt

But it'll be a long while before I can start on that, but I think this lower will be a good base to build on.

I just wanted to give you guys a heads up that the Surplus Ammo & Arms (made by Aero Precision) lowers are pretty decent for the cost if any of you were considering one to buy.

And just because I know, pics or it didn't happen.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 43664
Congrats

I also lost all my guns in a terrible Boating accident. There seems to be alot of accidents these days.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 37545
I just ordered a stripped Aero Precision (API) A3 upper from them, I'm waiting for the brown truck to arrive. I hear they supply for Armalite and LWRC and Spikes recently switched from using them too..... I will post pics when i get it. Hopefully the anodizing will be sufficient
Old 06-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

I hope the anodize is sufficient for you. That's really the only thing I saw about the lower that's iffy. But for the price I got it for, I am not complaining.

I know that Aero made the lower, but I'm not sure if Surplus Arms and Ammo had them done to their specs (where the finishing is concerned to save a few dollars) or if all of the Aero's are "thin skinned", but I'm interested in hearing back when you get yours so I'll know if it's just this rollmark or not.

I'm still in the slow process of building a rifle from this lower reciever and I'm going to be doing a water immersion camo dip from head to toe on this gun, so the anodizing will be covered up anyway and isn't a big concern of mine.

If I think about it, I'll update the pics after it's been dipped. It should make for a heckuva deer and bear rifle, but I have to order more film.

Last edited by John A.; 07-10-2010 at 04:24 PM.
John A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28226
Thanks for the review. I'm planning to drive down to Surplus Ammo and Arms very soon and pick up one of their stripped lowers, so it was good to read your positive review.

(Yes, I live about 45 minutes from their store.)
Mad Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 16050
Neato, John. And that is a cool rollmark. I look forward to seeing your completed rifle.

Melange still races...
hikeeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 37545
OK, I finally was able to shoot some pics of my Aero Precision upper and Spikes Lower. Anchor Harvey forged. As you can see the Anodizing finishes do not match as Spikes seems a bit thicker and glossier. ITs a nice tight fit though and the Flag goes with my lower (overkill?). M4 feedramps are nice. I am still unsure If I will just order a Spikes upper to match finishes??????

Old 07-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

My build still isn't done, but is well under way. I'm not in a big hurry though and am just buying a piece here and there to keep my occupied until deer and bear season starts.

It'll still be a while before I order the 7.62x39 barrel and bolt, but those are the only big things it still needs.

But for now, the camo is coming along quite nicely (now you know why I wasn't concerned about the anodize color/sheen matching )

I am looking forward hunting with it

Last edited by John A.; 07-16-2010 at 04:57 PM.
John A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:50 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 47330
Looks really nice, and you got a heck of a deal on that lower. I live about 15min from Surplus Ammo and Arms and go in there often and they charge quite a bit more than $65 for a lower
wesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:48 AM   #10
XDTalk 2K Member

Their volume pricing is considerably lower than their list price. I'm pretty sure they ordered 25 at a time to secure that amount.

He had been ordering from Superior Arms lowers (which are more local to him) but they still wouldn't/couldn't match SA&A volume pricing, and hence how I ended up with an SA&A logo on the side of my newest hunting rifle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

Search tags for this page
saa ar 15
saa lower review
surplus ammo and arms

surplus ammo and arms review

surplus ammo and arms reviews

surplus ammo ar upper review
surplus ammo arms reviews
surplus ammo reviews
surplus ammo upper review
surplus arms and ammo lower receiver review
surplus arms and ammo review
surplus arms and ammo upper review
Click on a term to search for related topics.