• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

I'm wanting to join the Black Rifle society in a week what do i get?

This is a discussion on I'm wanting to join the Black Rifle society in a week what do i get? within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Hi everyone, XDMulisha here, I am a newb to the AR world, well not really, I know how they work etc, but I want my ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » I'm wanting to join the Black Rifle society in a week what do i get?

Old 02-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 39825
I'm wanting to join the Black Rifle society in a week what do i get?

Hi everyone, XDMulisha here, I am a newb to the AR world, well not really, I know how they work etc, but I want my first purchase to be of quality, wanting to spend no more than $1500 on my first black rifle. What do you AR guys feel that I should get, you know; Bushy, DPMS, OA, Colt, S&W, etc. there are just so many and I want the best for that amount. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I mean are the Colts the best way to go. If I had the money I would build one myself from Larue but im not bill gates so help me out here brothers and sisters, thanks

Sincerely,

Peter M.

- Colt LE6940
- Springfield Armory XDM .40
- Yugo SKS
- Ruger 10/22
- CAI Romarm GP WASR 10/63
- Browning Gold Hunter 3.5 12ga.
- Mosin Nagant M91/30
- Manufacture Liegeoise D'armes A Feu,
"Lincoln Central-Fire .450" Revolver Ca. 1890's

"Ελεύθερον το Εύψυχον"

"I firmly believe that four of the most disappointing words you can read on the internet as a firearms enthusiast are, TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK" -Me
XDMulisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29650
If that $1500 doesn't include optics, ammo, and extra mags I think you could build yourself a pretty nice rifle exactly like you want it.
eb_311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 8838
Rock River, anything else is a compromise.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 26272
I picked up a new Bushmaster M4A3 a couple of years ago for about 1000.00 and never have had a problem with it. I know somebody will put "the chart" up here but get what feels good in your hand and is in your price range.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 37099
I love my S&W mp15 5.56 she is a very nice piece she has worked for me a lot gone in the buoy a few trips chasing hogs just shake dry and let her eat no rust no problems.............Just my .02
tryingtomakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 40901
I won't sway you to one since I have more than one. You can get any one of these rifles(no mods except for the Ruger that comes with great 'aftermarket' parts out of the box) for the $1500 you mentioned.

I do like Colts. i own a Colt LE6920 -

and a Colt 6601 (owned for 15+ years now)

but I am VERY IMPRESSED with the Ruger SR556. A piston AR:

all 3 together, Ruger in the middle:

Good luck in your decision
Old 02-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 35883
Everyone thinks what they have is the best. Whichever one you buy will be the best. The discussion never varies on this. There is no objective answer to your question. The good news is there are a lot of good choices, the bad news is there are a lot of good choices.

Learning the pluses and minuses of each rifle can take a long time. Think of it as a journey, not a destination. Get some consensus about the water and then wade in. You soon will contract BRD and then there is no hope for your wallet.

It might be a better question not to ask what is the best for the buck, but rather what are some to stay away from and for what reasons. I think there is a consensus about Olympic being a bad choice, so there is a freebie.

Fact is there are many reputable Mfgs making very good quality Ars. Heck, you can have a great rifle by mixing and matching parts too. But if you are just starting, you may want to go no further into that than just a complete upper and lower.

Learning what quality is good, recognizing it is harder, but a worthy endeavor. There is a chart out there....It is no more bipartisan or up to date than our Congress, but unlike our Congress, it does have some good information. There is also a good article here So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com that seeks to be more objective but also has some subjective conclusions.

Glean what you can, but welcome and good luck in "pulling the trigger" on your first one, usually they are the hardest.
Knothaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 31141
I've got a bushmaster and a rock river, neither have failed me but I don't shoot them a ton. The bushmaster is well under a grand now and the rock river can be had for a grand as well as can the smith and wesson.
Unless you're going to war I'd get one of those and spend the rest of the money on accessories and ammunition. If you want a Colt or a piston job, then go get that.

You have to decide what you want. Carbine or precision. Piston or direct impingement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"God and guns
Keep us strong.
That's what this country
Was founded on.
Well, we might as well give up and run
If we let them take our God and guns."
ryr8828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 12227
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDMulisha View Post
Hi everyone, XDMulisha here, I am a newb to the AR world, well not really, I know how they work etc, but I want my first purchase to be of quality, wanting to spend no more than $1500 on my first black rifle. What do you AR guys feel that I should get, you know; Bushy, DPMS, OA, Colt, S&W, etc. there are just so many and I want the best for that amount. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I mean are the Colts the best way to go. If I had the money I would build one myself from Larue but im not bill gates so help me out here brothers and sisters, thanks

Sincerely,

Peter M.
What do you want to do. My first was a varmint rifle Bushmaster Predator. It shoots great. Spent about $800 + optics. My second and first build was a carbine. I ended up with about $1000 in it. It is great fun and shoots great.
rtparso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 28164
Quote:
Originally Posted by goretro77 View Post
I won't sway you to one since I have more than one. You can get any one of these rifles(no mods except for the Ruger that comes with great 'aftermarket' parts out of the box) for the $1500 you mentioned.

I do like Colts. i own a Colt LE6920 -
Really like that LE.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

ar15, colt, new rifle, price, what to get

Search tags for this page
any law enforcement carry rock river arms elite operators

bcm carbine price

bcm carbine prices
best black rifle for the money
black rife society

black rifle society

colt le6920 vs rock river elite comp
colt rra or bcm

dpms operator

dpms recon vs colt le6940
elite vs dpms
operator 2 vs colt le6940
price on bcm guns
recon vs elite operator 2
rra elite operator 2 vs. colt law enforcement
Click on a term to search for related topics.