• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

DSA ZM4 Upper

This is a discussion on DSA ZM4 Upper within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I can't find any posts about this upper. I have one on the way and will review it if anyone is interested. DSA ZM4 Forged ...

Old 12-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 36643
DSA ZM4 Upper

I can't find any posts about this upper. I have one on the way and will review it if anyone is interested.

DSA ZM4 Forged Upper

NDB
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." - Patrick Henry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

n.

1: an advocate of the doctrine of free will
2 a: a person who upholds the principles of individual liberty especially of thought and action
b capitalized: a member of a political party advocating libertarian principles
NunyaBinnez is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 32019
Quote:
Originally Posted by NunyaBinnez View Post
I can't find any posts about this upper. I have one on the way and will review it if anyone is interested.

DSA ZM4 Forged Upper

NDB
Theres a big thread on ar15.com with plenty of reviews and even some range reports. I would link you but the web filter at work hates me and i cant get on the site here!

Search harder because there are alot of opinions on it. Seems like a good deal so i ordered myself one last week. Im an ak kind of guy so this is my first ar and i didnt want to sink alot of money in it.
mr_gs-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 26668
At that price, I may get one just to have a dedicated .22lr upper around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Bultx1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 10643
If you add a quality BCG and were interested in a chrome-lined barrel, you'd do a lot better for the money by ordering a complete upper from Adco, which would include a chrome-lined barrel and BCG and charging handle...you know, a REAL complete upper.

Adco Firearms Item Details
Mercmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gs-r View Post
Theres a big thread on ar15.com with plenty of reviews and even some range reports.
I read the thread that you are referring to. I meant that I hadn't seen it discussed or suggested as a build-up option on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gs-r View Post
Search harder because there are alot of opinions on it. Seems like a good deal so i ordered myself one last week. Im an ak kind of guy so this is my first ar and i didnt want to sink alot of money in it.
It seems like the differing opinions all have to do with the barrel treatment. Most of the people who are bagging on it for not being chrome-lined:

a) have no idea of the pros/cons of nitriding vs. chrome-lining

and

b) will never use their rifle in a manner that would take advantage of the benefit of chrome-lining over nitride treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bultx1215 View Post
At that price, I may get one just to have a dedicated .22lr upper around.
You could do a heck of a lot worse. The introductory pricing ends on January 1, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercmar View Post
If you add a quality BCG and were interested in a chrome-lined barrel, you'd do a lot better for the money by ordering a complete upper from Adco, which would include a chrome-lined barrel and BCG and charging handle...you know, a REAL complete upper.

Adco Firearms Item Details
Thanks for the tip, but...

First, I actually favor nitride treatment for my purposes. Additionally, I have a BCM BCG on the way (which I consider to be superior to what would be included with the linked RRA) along with a BCM "Gunfighter" charging handle (which I would have replaced any standard unit with anyway).

So for my $485 (shipped to my door - insured) I get exactly what I want, and is as complete and "REAL" as any I have ever seen.

But that's just like...my opinion...man.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." - Patrick Henry

n.

2 a: a person who upholds the principles of individual liberty especially of thought and action

Last edited by NunyaBinnez; 12-04-2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Corrected a statement made in error.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

I received my upper yesterday. It needs a serious cleaning, but I am extremely pleased with the initial quality. It fits nice and tight on my Stag lower. When I get my BCG and Charging handle, I'll take my (then) newly completed rifle to the range and run a few hundred rounds through it to see how it performs.

n.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 10643
Went back and looked at the ad. Yeah, I see now that the barrel's nitrided. You'd think that Uncle Sam would catch on and ditch those chrome-lined barrels, wouldn't you?
Mercmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Are you talking about nitride BCG?
Negative, sir. I am referring to the treatment on the DSA ZM4 barrel. Santa wouldn't spring for the extra $60 to get the BCG with the "Ionbond" finish (nitrided), instead (s)he will be putting a Magpul MBUS rear sight in my stocking.

Quote:
Sure you'll like your upper.
I am very impressed at this point.

Quote:
There's really not a lot of difference in AR parts that matter, except barrel quality and trigger group.
I agree to a point. The differences exist, but the average AR owner will very rarely be affected by them one way or the other.

NDB

Edit:

Quote:
Went back and looked at the ad. Yeah, I see now that the barrel's nitrided. You'd think that Uncle Sam would catch on and ditch those chrome-lined barrels, wouldn't you?
It took me forever to bang-out this reply and you posted in the meantime.

n.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
XDTalk Member

Member #: 32019
Reveived mine a few days back, im impressed. I cant wait to get it together and take it shooting. For the price i think one will be hard pressed to find a better deal!
mr_gs-r is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

Search tags for this page
dsa arms reviews
dsa arms upper reviews

dsa barrel review

dsa bcg review
dsa inc reviews
dsa reviews
dsa upper receiver review

dsa upper review

dsa zm4 barrel review

dsa zm4 review

dsa zm4 reviews

dsa zm4 upper review

Click on a term to search for related topics.