• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Can a Magwell Adapter Split the Magwell on a Lower

This is a discussion on Can a Magwell Adapter Split the Magwell on a Lower within the AR Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I was cleaning my RRA 9mm AR today. After looking into the lower and seeing hundreds of rounds of built up crud I decided to ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk » Can a Magwell Adapter Split the Magwell on a Lower

Old 04-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 1698
Question Can a Magwell Adapter Split the Magwell on a Lower

I was cleaning my RRA 9mm AR today.

After looking into the lower and seeing hundreds of rounds of built up crud I decided to clean my lower, something I don't normally do.

Anyhow to make a long story short I was wiping down the lower and noticed a vertical split running up the front of my magwell.

My first inclination was that when I had reinstalled the magwell adapter I had over tightened the screw (the magwell was moving before and not seated high enough) and split the magwell, but then I started to think... is the lower that fragile that overtightening a screw in the adapter would cause it to split right down the middle?

I'll see if I can get you some pics, and I'll call RRA tomorrow to see what they say.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Last edited by Krackels; 04-14-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Krackels is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 2897
I am not sure how they mount but its hard aluminum and yes, It could split. Screws allow you to put alot more torque on fasteners than what most would think.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

ichy_trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
ORD
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 27771
It could be a combination of things, such as overtightening of the adapter, combined with a flaw in the lower, combined with heavy use...etc.

I have not seen the magwell of an AR lower split before from overtightening a 9mm mag well adapter, but it is certainly possible.

Post up some pics...I'd like to see what kind of "split" you are talking about.

Also, FWIW, I have swicthed to Hahn Dedicated 9mm Blocks in all my 9mm carbines and in ones that I have built for others. LRBHO, uses the standard AR-15 Bolt Catch, requires no "adjustment" for perfect function with Colt/Metalform mags (can't speak to Mod. Uzi, ProMag, C-Products, etc.), and is generally a better design than the RRA as far as I am concerned inasmuch as you aren't "tightening" it against the interior walls of the mag well.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
XDTalk 25K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORD View Post
It could be a combination of things, such as overtightening of the adapter, combined with a flaw in the lower, combined with heavy use...etc.

I have not seen the magwell of an AR lower split before from overtightening a 9mm mag well adapter, but it is certainly possible.

Post up some pics...I'd like to see what kind of "split" you are talking about.

Also, FWIW, I have swicthed to Hahn Dedicated 9mm Blocks in all my 9mm carbines and in ones that I have built for others. LRBHO, uses the standard AR-15 Bolt Catch, requires no "adjustment" for perfect function with Colt/Metalform mags (can't speak to Mod. Uzi, ProMag, C-Products, etc.), and is generally a better design than the RRA as far as I am concerned inasmuch as you aren't "tightening" it against the interior walls of the mag well.
Do the Hahn blocks drop in from the top?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

&

Last edited by Krackels; 04-14-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: smaller pictures
Old 04-15-2009, 07:25 AM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 2897
Thats right down the middle, almost like a casting line but I believe RRA uses forgings. I would definately contact them.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

ichy_trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 31254
WOW! Allen, i would agree with Ichy Trigger, contact RRA and see if they can at least repair that (or even replace???).

Very interesting. I wonder what Mike (mvician) would have to say...
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. (Eph 2:10)

KAIZENBOI's USPSA Videos:

Freedom Gunworks Shooting Team
kaizenboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #7
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 6823
This is the second rifle I seen with that same split. last I heard RRA took care of the rifle but it took them a little bit of time. Search ar15.com for this. There is a RRA rep there that is involved in the forums there and is a good guy to deal with...

Force and mind are opposites; morality ends where a gun begins.

O
ne Big A$$ Mistake America

xd4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 27366
That looks like.. OW. Hope you get some help with that.

My Cats Support the 2nd Amendment
NRA Life Member
DAV
Diocoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #9
ORD
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 27771
WOW!! OUCH!! That definitely looks like a manufacturing problem and NOT anything that could have been caused by your mag block. RRA should step up on that one.

As for the Hahn block...yes, the dedicated block is a top installing block. They make several different models, including the dedicated which requires removal of the bolt catch roll pin and bolt catch to install the block. The block is then inserted, the bolt catch and roll pin reinstalled, and that way the block actually uses the standard AR-15 bolt catch which is MUCH stronger than the 9mm unit. The downside to the dedicated block is that it take a little more work to uninstall it from the lower if you are switching back and forth between 9mm and 5.56/223 uppers. Hahn also makes a top loader, and a bottom loader mag block as well. Check out their site for more info...great products though and I highly recommend them!!

Hahn Precision > AR-15
Old 04-15-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
XDTalk 25K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORD View Post
WOW!! OUCH!! That definitely looks like a manufacturing problem and NOT anything that could have been caused by your mag block. RRA should step up on that one.

As for the Hahn block...yes, the dedicated block is a top installing block. They make several different models, including the dedicated which requires removal of the bolt catch roll pin and bolt catch to install the block. The block is then inserted, the bolt catch and roll pin reinstalled, and that way the block actually uses the standard AR-15 bolt catch which is MUCH stronger than the 9mm unit. The downside to the dedicated block is that it take a little more work to uninstall it from the lower if you are switching back and forth between 9mm and 5.56/223 uppers. Hahn also makes a top loader, and a bottom loader mag block as well. Check out their site for more info...great products though and I highly recommend them!!

Hahn Precision > AR-15
Yeah, I might have to look into that.

I don't mind RRA's magwell adapter, though. It's pretty solid and never moves once it's in place. It allows the use of the rifle's bolt hold open and the bolt will lock back with Colt, C-Products, and Pro-Mags. It just doesn't lock back with modified UZI mags.

I'd really love it if they'd replace my lower with one of their new integral magwell 9mm lowers...

&

Last edited by Krackels; 04-15-2009 at 04:45 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AR Talk

9mm, ar-15, rock river arms

Search tags for this page
9mm magwell adapter
ar 15 mag well adaptoer springfeild 9mm
ar mag block
ar15 cracked magwell
c products 9 millimeter mag well block reviews
hahn magazine adapter

hahn magwell block

hahn precision magwell adapter
how to install a hahn precision dedicated 9mm adapter in an ar-15
how to put promag 9mm adpt in ar
promag 9mm mag block
promag 9mm magazine adapter block review

promag 9mm magwell block

promag ar15 / m16 9mm magazine adaptor
rra 9mm magwell block
Click on a term to search for related topics.