• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Lc brass

This is a discussion on Lc brass within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I'm reloading once fired 223 and 5.56 brass for the first time. Some of the brass has a head stamp, LC and Nato circle. The ...

Old 01-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 21356
Lc brass

I'm reloading once fired 223 and 5.56 brass for the first time. Some of the brass has a head stamp, LC and Nato circle. The 5.56 head stamp is IGM. From what I, have read Nato brass and 5.56 brass need to be reloaded with less powder becaues there is less room inside the case.

I, am getting ready to work up a load, and need to know if the LC cases get the same amount of powder as the IGM?

I, plan to use 24.5gr H335, 55gr fmjbt as a starting load for the IGM and LC.

The 223 cases PMC, R P, Win are going to be 25gr H335, 55gr fmjbt.
AR15 556/223 CMMG 16" mid-length upper, RRA lower
Doc 3773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 27513
I bought some once fired brass from Pistolgear.com with quite a few LC brass. I'm using 24.3gr H335 w/ 55gn Hornady VMax and FMJ-BT with no issues. I've worked up to 24.8 but haven't got the chance to go to the range to test, we've been some having heavy rains.
redyak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
Typically, mil spec brass has a smaller volumn than commercial. You can check by filling the case full w/ a ball type powder or water & weighing it. Compare that the cases you were using. If the volumn is the same, you should be fine. If the volumn is 2-3gr less, you need to adjust. How much will vary from rifle to rifle.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 25494
Supposedly, one is supposed to load military brass at a 10 percent lesser charge due to thicker case walls (and thus, smaller interior volume).

However, it's not always the case that they're different. I did some experimentation on this a while back and found there to be no significant difference between the military and commercial cases I examined. Disclaimer: I didn't examine every case in the world, so you draw whatever conclusions you will from what was a very small sample.

There were two threads on it:

Interesting finding re: case wall thickness for .223

and

Results of .223 Case Volume Examination

Occam's Razor: If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.
mongoose33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
223 ammo stamped lc 10
bullet lc 12
bullets lc 07
catridge lc
lc 02 bullet

lc 07 bullet

lc 10 ammo
lc 10 brass

lc 12 ammo

lc 12 brass
lc10 ammo
lc12 ammo

lc12 bullet

lc12 bullet rifle
lc12 rifle cartridge
Click on a term to search for related topics.