• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Clays and 9mm Reloading

This is a discussion on Clays and 9mm Reloading within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Looking for specific reloading info from 9mm using Clay's powder. I use Clays for my .45 and would like to stick with one powder for ...

Old 12-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 31373
Clays and 9mm Reloading

Looking for specific reloading info from 9mm using Clay's powder. I use Clays for my .45 and would like to stick with one powder for my handguns.

Anyone using Clays for 9mm, any weight, and care to share your data?

Thanks
luvmy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-22-2008, 06:06 AM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 23037
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy45 View Post
Looking for specific reloading info from 9mm using Clay's powder. I use Clays for my .45 and would like to stick with one powder for my handguns.

Thanks
My Lyman Reloading Handbook lists a starting grains : 1.9 for a 147 gr (#2 alloy) with a 1.058" OAL.
You might want to check the Hogdon web page: Hodgdon - The Gun Powder People

I ain't the expert, but I've made a lot of the wrong decisions!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

If Homicide Is Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Commit Homicide
Edubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:55 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 30360
Clays for 9mm, 38spl & 45acp

Quote:

Thanks
I have been working with Clays in my .45acp and cast 200 gr SWC bullets. 3.6 gr seems to work OK. What accurate loads have come up with?

I will be working up some 9mm loads with cast 125gr RN bullets. I will be starting at 3.1 gr and working up. I load 3.1 under 158Gr TC bullets in my .38spl. They shoot accurately in all my revolvers and in two leaver action carbines.

Hope we can help each other more.
sjmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmclean View Post
I have been working with Clays in my .45acp and cast 200 gr SWC bullets. 3.6 gr seems to work OK. What accurate loads have come up with?

I will be working up some 9mm loads with cast 125gr RN bullets. I will be starting at 3.1 gr and working up. I load 3.1 under 158Gr TC bullets in my .38spl. They shoot accurately in all my revolvers and in two leaver action carbines.

Hope we can help each other more.
Not much to work upto:
125 GR. LCN Hodgdon Clays .356" 1.125" 2.9 899 22,700 CUP 3.3 993 30,900 CUP
I do NOT like Clays & other uberfsat powders, especially in high pressure carts. You can go from ok to over pressure in 0.1gr. Your OAL is too short or bullet setback, & your pressure will spike. too spooky in my own test. JUst not worth it to save 21/0 of a penny on powder. If you want one powder for both 9mm & 45acp, WST is a greatone, burns cooler, better accuracy & a bit better loading range. HP38/W231 is another good choice.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24444
One of the first powders I used in loading .45ACP was Clays. Burnt very clean and gave very good accuracy. Since those days, I have gone to slower powders which I believe to be a bit more safe. I currently load for the 9mm using Win 231, have used it in .45 ACP before with good results, and have never owned a .40 but that may be next. Use a powder that will allow for a margin of error, but except none!
Old 12-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Thanks for the info guys... I really like Clays and or Titegroup for my .45. I am not looking for max power, in fact, I'm looking for soft shooting load, that just make power factor for competition, plus a little for variance.

I have used the other powders, 231, WST and compared to Clays they are dirty. I use almost exclusive lead cast loads.

My .45 I use 230gr LRN (Usually Lasercast) and 4.0gr of Clays... soft and gentle and still makes power. I don't know about accuracy, but they will hit the Down 0 or A zone in competition out to 25yds, with no problem, usually better than I can shoot.

For my 9mm would like to use 147gr or maybe 125gr. I've started with some left over 115gr FMJ with 3.0gr of Clay's, we'll see how it shoots and then work up some others.

I really want to find 1 good powder for my pistols and then stockup. Clays for the .45 works well for me, so I'm hoping it will in 9mm as well.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:15 PM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

You really found WST "dirty"? I've loaded many diff. powders & WST, especially at lower vel., is one of the cleanest burning, even w/ lead bullets. To each his own though. Just be careful using Clays & heavy bullets in the 9mm.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Ok, forget about clays for the 9mm

Loaded up 100 rounds for 155gr with 3.0gr of clays... little soft had FTF because the slide wasn't fully cycling. They were soft shooting however

I also loaded up 100 147 gr with some left over 231 powder. Those shot like a champion. I may have to reconsider my single powder theory. I love Clays in my .45 but in the 9, 231 was a great load. I'll use up what's left of it, probably around 300 rounds or so to use it up.

So, back to the powder threads and see what's working. Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:43 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
Ok, forget about clays for the 9mm

Loaded up 100 rounds for 155gr with 3.0gr of clays... little soft had FTF because the slide wasn't fully cycling. They were soft shooting however

I also loaded up 100 147 gr with some left over 231 powder. Those shot like a champion. I may have to reconsider my single powder theory. I love Clays in my .45 but in the 9, 231 was a great load. I'll use up what's left of it, probably around 300 rounds or so to use it up.

So, back to the powder threads and see what's working. Thanks for the thoughts.
HP38/W231 is very good in the 45acp, works well in all the service calibers for light to std. vel. loads.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 29547
9mm and Clays

We just loaded up 200, 125gr, fmj 9mm loads with 3.4gr of Clays. They shot great in my wife's STI GP6. Felt softer than WWB 9mm ammo from Wally World. We ran the OAL to 1.090, with a Lee factory crimp die at the end. No failures of any kind and shot just as accurate as the factory stuff.
ckgdrums is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
125gr. lcn clays powder load

9mm clays load data

9mm clays reloading data
clay best powder for 9mm reloading
clays 9mm reloading
clays and 9mm
clays data for 147 gr.

clays powder for 9mm

clays powder or wst for 9 and 45
clays reloading data for 9mm

hodgdon clays for 9mm

hodgdon clays for pistol
how much claya gun powder to reload a 9mm
load data 9mm clays 124rnp
reloading 9mm with clays
reloading data clays 9mm
Click on a term to search for related topics.