• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Value of Brass?

This is a discussion on Value of Brass? within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; What is the value of used brass? I have been collecting my brass for awhile (9mm, .45, .380) and have it in jugs in my ...

Old 11-14-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 26845
Value of Brass?

What is the value of used brass? I have been collecting my brass for awhile (9mm, .45, .380) and have it in jugs in my garage. A friend who reloads said he'd trade me ammo for the brass.

What is the equal trade value for lets say a 50 round box of 9mm range ammo? The brass I have still has the primers and hasn't been tumbled. I just pick it up after shooting and throw it in the jug.

Thanks in advance. I'm going to check in a couple of forums to see what everyone's opinions are.
Remove Ads
Old 11-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 8055
The 9mm is worthless...if you send it to me I guess I can go through the trouble of disposing of it for ya.....

Why do I carry a gun? Have you picked up a cop lately? Man, they eat A LOT of doughnuts....and whew...they are heavy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"The Fashion Statement with Survival Instincts"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"We don't sell guns we sell the things that make guns better"
jtprevatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 27984
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtprevatte View Post
The 9mm is worthless...if you send it to me I guess I can go through the trouble of disposing of it for ya.....

And given the large amount of lead residue left on the .45 brass, it could be considered hazardous waste material. I have a close friend who is Hazmat certified. We could probably take it off your hands for a small fee.
Winchester Defender 12 ga

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Roadogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 21445
midwayusa sells a bulk of 500 once fired .45acp brass for $43.49

MidwayUSA - Once-Fired Brass 45 ACP Grade 3 Box of 500 (Bulk Packaged)

9mm bulk of 500 for $18.99

Reloading - Shop Reloading Tools & Supplies at MidwayUSA

I don't reload so I don't know what they are really worth. Although I do save my brass hoping I might be able to sell them off like you or reload them myself. There are some rumor floating around that realoaders are very cheap.
smokey240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 25494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromike View Post
What is the value of used brass? I have been collecting my brass for awhile (9mm, .45, .380) and have it in jugs in my garage. A friend who reloads said he'd trade me ammo for the brass.

What is the equal trade value for lets say a 50 round box of 9mm range ammo? The brass I have still has the primers and hasn't been tumbled. I just pick it up after shooting and throw it in the jug.

Thanks in advance. I'm going to check in a couple of forums to see what everyone's opinions are.
If you check on Gunbroker you'll find many people selling once-fired brass of various calibers. You might get an idea what it's worth from that.

I just went to gunbroker to check out of curiousity, and the page is down. But if you go to this site:

Once Fired Brass - ReloadersAuction.com, reloading, shooting, online auction

You can see toward the bottom of the page what people are *getting* (not asking) for once-fired brass. In one instance, there's a bid of $16 for 500 cases of once-fired .45 ACP brass. The brass is polished but doesn't appear to be de-primed.

In another auction, there's a bid of $60 for 1000 .45ACP, all the same headstamp, polished but not deprimed or belled.

I didn't look for much more, but that may give you a start on thinking what it may be worth. In the end, it's worth what your friend will "pay" for it.

Occam's Razor: If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.
mongoose33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 12944
I have sold once fired .45ACP brass, dirty and still primed for $0.045/case.

Most reloaders I have met like to clean and deprime them selves.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 23037
They are worth every penny that you can get for them. You can ask $.06 each for separated brass, but if you get $.03 you'll be lucky.
I would hesitate to shoot somebody else's handloads, if he makes a mistake and double loads one and it makes a kaboom that destroys your gun and or worse, what recourse do you take? Handloads are very personal to me, like a toothbrush; I won't share mine with you and will not use yours.

I ain't the expert, but I've made a lot of the wrong decisions!

If Homicide Is Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Commit Homicide
Edubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadogre View Post
And given the large amount of lead residue left on the .45 brass, it could be considered hazardous waste material. I have a close friend who is Hazmat certified. We could probably take it off your hands for a small fee.
I'm a retired Firefighter w/ Hazmat training. I'll just put on my hazmat suit when I pick up the brass after shooting. Works great but the washdown station is a bitch!

Thanks for the offer!

Looks like I'll just see what he has to offer. I don't reload and would be willing to trade for a box or 2 of ammo. Maybe I'll just spend some time shooting his AR!! (I'll wait for the offer first). The next choice would be to have him teach me how to reload. Great - another hobby! My wife can't wait!
Old 11-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubya View Post
They are worth every penny that you can get for them. You can ask $.06 each for separated brass, but if you get $.03 you'll be lucky.
I would hesitate to shoot somebody else's handloads, if he makes a mistake and double loads one and it makes a kaboom that destroys your gun and or worse, what recourse do you take? Handloads are very personal to me, like a toothbrush; I won't share mine with you and will not use yours.
I appreciate the advice. He's a close friend, current Firefighter & Police Reserve. Guess if you can't trust the LEO's, who can you? Don't worry, I won't use his toothbrush!

I have another friend who trades his brass in somewhere for manufactured loads (not reloads). I'll check with him on deals!
Old 11-14-2008, 09:30 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 14151
I bought 1k of polished .45acp brass for $45 shipped a couple days ago.

dsr30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
accepted value of brass
brass resale value
brass trade in value

brass value

collecting used brass
fayetteville nc brass worth
how much is brass worth
price to sell used brass
resale cost of brass
resale value of brass
used 380 brass bulk
used brass value

value of brass

value of old brass
what is 9mm brass worth
what is used brass worth
Click on a term to search for related topics.