• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Is there a good 9mm ammo comparison review link someone tell me about?

This is a discussion on Is there a good 9mm ammo comparison review link someone tell me about? within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I am new at this, and I've just bought a new XD-M 9mm that I love, and I want to use the right ammo in ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Is there a good 9mm ammo comparison review link someone tell me about?

Old 11-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 29958
Is there a good 9mm ammo comparison review link someone tell me about?

I am new at this, and I've just bought a new XD-M 9mm that I love, and I want to use the right ammo in it. The problem is I don't know much about ammo except that it is expensive. My immediate need is for good target ammo. Everyone has their favorites, but is there a publication where someone fired a lot of different ammo and objectively evaluated it? Does the same ammo fire differently in different guns? Can you point me to a link on the web that has researched this?
Ruger MK III Hunter, 5.5" fluted bbl, 22LR
Kel-Tec P32, 32 acp, Bersa Thunder .380 acp
Smith & Wesson pre-model 30, 32 S&W Long
Remington 870 Express 12 gauge 18.5" bbl
Remington 870 Express 20 gauge, 18" bbl
State of Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit
becket is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 26528
I have no problems using wwb from wally world
Fred Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 27948
Target ammo go to Walmart get Winchester white box or Blazer brass get FMJ full metal jacket, great inexpensive target ammo.
Tampabayjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 23037
Quote:
Originally Posted by becket View Post
I am new at this, and I've just bought a new XD-M 9mm that I love, and I want to use the right ammo in it. The problem is I don't know much about ammo except that it is expensive. My immediate need is for good target ammo. Everyone has their favorites, but is there a publication where someone fired a lot of different ammo and objectively evaluated it? Does the same ammo fire differently in different guns? Can you point me to a link on the web that has researched this?
becket, Welcome to the XD world and to the forum.
You can find a whole group of formal and informal tests on the web, just don't believe every thing that you read. Acouple of sites that you may want to check out: Best9mm.com - 9mm Ammunition testing 9mm ammo ballistics bullet expansion penetration and of those I like Pistol Cartridges (9x19mm Luger) the best. I like it because they don't seem to have a dog in the fight. Some authors come across as providing "just the facts" but are very biased.
I read the "Box of Truth" for entertainment and they also seem to be unbiased: The Box O' Truth - The Buick O' Truth #3 - Pistols and Car Doors
BTW, I've shot just about every kind of ammo made and the only one that my XD's do not like are the wadcutters! The term "wadcutter" denotes a blunt lead pistol bullet that due to its 90 degree (cylindrical) configuration cuts a perfectly round hole through a paper target.

EW

I ain't the expert, but I've made a lot of the wrong decisions!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

If Homicide Is Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Commit Homicide
Edubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 30018
Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubya View Post
BTW, I've shot just about every kind of ammo made and the only one that my XD's do not like are the wadcutters!
Glad I read this thread. I haven't heard of anyone's experience with wadcutters in an XD yet, and I was thinking about that last night. There seems to be a big positive consensus on the Winchester White Box for target ammo. In your experience, have you seen a noticeable difference between 115gr, 124gr and 147gr?
Colonel Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 23037
Colonel, welcome to the forum.
I think that most people will agree that in a lighter weight bullet you will feel the recoil more and you will get a bigger bang. This has to do with higher velocity creating higher reaction (you know, that physics thing). If you load your own, as I do, you can control this to a degree or two. Loading your own is also about 40% or more monetarily advantageous. My 9mm target ammo cost about $.11 each compared to $.18 or $.19 for WWB. I'll not go into that any further, there are other threads that will cover it in detail.

I ain't the expert, but I've made a lot of the wrong decisions!

If Homicide Is Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Commit Homicide
Edubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 16410
I just bought 1k of Blazer alum case 9mm for 7.49 a box from Natchez shooter supply. My XDs like this just fine and it is great for plinking.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 29807
I'm also a fan of the Blazer Brass.
ab4ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 29807
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS. View Post
I just bought 1k of Blazer alum case 9mm for 7.49 a box from Natchez shooter supply. My XDs like this just fine and it is great for plinking.
I wonder how long that sale is going on? That's a great deal.
ab4ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #10
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
Becket ... Welcome to the forums !!

I'll just add this to the list ... terminal ballistics ... The data is a year or two old, but it does offer some good examples.

Bottom line most name brand defensive ammo is going to work, but test it to make sure your gun fires and cycles properly with whatever you choose to keep loaded is always recommended.

As others have said, cheap is fine for practice, and I'll add that the XD is one of those guns that seems to go bang everytime you pull the trigger.

Some guns are ammo sensitive, the XD seems to shoot any ammo you give it
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
9 mm ammo review
9 mm ammo reviews
9mm ammo comparison
9mm ammo ratings

9mm ammo review

9mm ammo reviews

9mm ammunition comparison
9mm ammunition ratings
9mm ammunition reviews
ammo reviews 9mm
best 9mm ammo reviews
review 9mm ammo
Click on a term to search for related topics.