• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

9mm FMJ vs 9mm MC?

This is a discussion on 9mm FMJ vs 9mm MC? within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; What is the difference between 9mm FMJ and 9MM MC? I searched online and cannot seem to find anything?...

Old 11-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 28474
Question 9mm FMJ vs 9mm MC?

What is the difference between 9mm FMJ and 9MM MC? I searched online and cannot seem to find anything?
Obama's principles didn't work in the former Soviet Union, they didn't work in Cuba and they definitely won't work for America. If Obama wins, be prepared to fight to keep the Constitution and the principles of America intact.
icoblentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 21679
MC has a fully coated bullet. FMJ has an exposed lead base.
rpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 25298
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpsmith View Post
MC has a fully coated bullet. FMJ has an exposed lead base.
That'd be incorrect. MC and FMJ are the same thing
FMJ and MC both have lead exposed at the base

MC= metal case
FMJ= full metal jacket [which is a misleading term]
FMC= full metal case [a term that's rarely used]

TMJ= total metal jacket which does cover the exposed lead on the bullet base.

TMJ is available from Federal and Speer as reloaded ammunition; and Berry's and Rainier make plated TMJ bullets available as reloading components
Rampant Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 2309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampant Colt View Post
That'd be incorrect. MC and FMJ are the same thing
FMJ and MC both have lead exposed at the base

MC= metal case
FMJ= full metal jacket [which is a misleading term]
FMC= full metal case [a term that's rarely used]

TMJ= total metal jacket which does cover the exposed lead on the bullet base.

TMJ is available from Federal and Speer as reloaded ammunition; and Berry's and Rainier make plated TMJ bullets available as reloading components
Ye both be wrong

MJ Jacketed are just that, a lead bullet with a copper jacket wrapped around it. While MC bullets are lead bullets that are plated with a non-lead substance usually a copper alloy. The T and F are pretty much the interchangable now days as you do not find many hand gun rounds with exposed base. Coated bullets are usually cheaper because they require less copper and less effort to manufacture.

Both Berry and Rainer manufacture Plated or Coated bullets not jacketed bullets though Berry does make a jacketed rifle round.
Sig P220, [COLOR=red]Taurus PT1911,Browning HiPowr 9mm,, CZ75, CZ75 P01, Walther PPS 9mm, Savage 9317 BTVS .22, Browning Buckmark, Taurus Gaucho 357 (pair), Taurus Gaucho 45LC (pair), Uberti 1873 Saddle Rifle 357, Uberti 1873 45 LC Carbine, TTN 12 Gauge Double, Ruger Bisley Vaquero 357 (pair), Springfield XD9SC, XD45 Service, XD45 Compact Tactical, XD(M) 40S&W BiTone, Taurus 617 357, Remington 870 12 TacticalXDS 9 Bitone,SIG 226 9 EQINOX, SIG 228 9MM,SIG 1911 22,S&W MP 15,S&W 15-22
rgeliske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 36341
other than cost, are there significant disadvantages over time to the cheaper copper alloy coating than the copper jacket?

my real question (in my mind) is 'is it worth it to me to worry about the difference?' but since i realize that this is a subjective question i will just leave it at the original question. cost is not so much an issue to me as, at times, availability is.

thanks!
nolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeliske View Post
Ye both be wrong

MJ Jacketed are just that, a lead bullet with a copper jacket wrapped around it. While MC bullets are lead bullets that are plated with a non-lead substance usually a copper alloy. The T and F are pretty much the interchangable now days as you do not find many hand gun rounds with exposed base. Coated bullets are usually cheaper because they require less copper and less effort to manufacture.

Both Berry and Rainer manufacture Plated or Coated bullets not jacketed bullets though Berry does make a jacketed rifle round.
It will depend on the manuf. meaning. There are plenty of FMJ still made w/ exposed base; WW, RP, Sierra, Hornady, etc.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 31761
I am not really seeing a difference between lead, plated or jacketed in my XD/XDm-40's for range/plinking use. Not even in what I have to do to clean the firearms.
I believe the quality of the bullets is more important than type for range use.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 10643
Every MC bullet I ever used had an unexposed base and were copper plated. Every jacketed bullet I ever used actually had a jacket (duh!!) and an exposed base.
Mercmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 25494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercmar View Post
Every MC bullet I ever used had an unexposed base and were copper plated. Every jacketed bullet I ever used actually had a jacket (duh!!) and an exposed base.
Same here. Wish I could get some more of those 200gr Rainier .45 bullets for a reasonable price. They do well in my XD Service.

Occam's Razor: If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.
mongoose33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 85251
I know this is an old subject, but with the demand of ammo these days it's hard to find any 9mm in Ga.
With that being said, my wife ran across some FMC 9mm Luger ammo at a location that had several boxes available and purchased 5 of them. I'm not familiar with FMC and was wandering if these will be okay for the range??
NtheFamily is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page

9mm mc

9mm mc vs fmj
bullet mc
difference between fmj and fmc

fmj vs mc

fmj vs mc ammo
mc ammo
mc ammo definition

mc bullet

mc bullet type
mc bullets
mc versus fmj

mc vs fmj

metal case vs full metal jacket
what are 9mm luger mc
Click on a term to search for related topics.