• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Bear Ammo from Russia is Berdan Primed!!!

This is a discussion on Bear Ammo from Russia is Berdan Primed!!! within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Just looking at a catalog with Brown Bear & Golden Bear ammo in 9 mm, 30-06, 410 ga. Caution, this Russian ammo has the Berdan ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Bear Ammo from Russia is Berdan Primed!!!

Old 10-29-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 27854
Angry Bear Ammo from Russia is Berdan Primed!!!

Just looking at a catalog with Brown Bear & Golden Bear ammo in 9 mm, 30-06, 410 ga. Caution, this Russian ammo has the Berdan Primers and can not be reloaded on any normal American reloading press. So if you are a reloader don't buy Bear Ammo with the intention of reloading it. The Berdan Primers can not be deprimed with a center punch primer tool.
rayikeo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-29-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 14801
Brown Bear/Golden Bear are steel cased. You cannot reload them. Also, I dont know of any russian steel ammo that uses anything other than Berdan primers.?? Nothing new here.

I use alot of the brown bear .223 for my ar15's. It's very accurate and cleaner than wolf. It's great ammo for the price.
TBAG809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25129
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBAG809 View Post
Brown Bear/Golden Bear are steel cased. You cannot reload them. Also, I dont know of any russian steel ammo that uses anything other than Berdan primers.?? Nothing new here.

I use alot of the brown bear .223 for my ar15's. It's very accurate and cleaner than wolf. It's great ammo for the price.
x2

You don't really want to reload steel anyways...not sure why the primer type makes a difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Joeywhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:25 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24585
Some guys have tried reloading steel cases but they usually rupture on the first or second reloading. Steel cases can also ruin dies pretty quick. Most all U.S. made ammo uses Boxer primers. Originally designed by a British guy. Look into the case and you will see one hole at the bottom. this is where the flame from the primer comes through to ignite the powder. Other countries use Berdan primers. They use two holes in the bottom of the case. It was designed by an American guy. The boxer primer is pushed out through the single flash hole during the reloading process. The Berdan primer is removed with a special tool that pierces the primer from the outside and pry's it from the primer pocket, total PITA. Even though your not going to reload those steel cases, PLEASE pick them up and throw them in the trash. The coating keeps them from rusting to dust for a few decades.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:44 AM   #5
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 23438
yea you dont really want to reload those casings
Old 10-30-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 17000
Yep....you don't buy Bear to reload, you buy it because it's dirt cheap!

"One is none, two is one, and three is just a good time." Clint Smith, referring to the number of guns you carry daily.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
mcb
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 5280
Some of the Wolf steel cased is boxer primed. I believe its the black box stuff. There are guys successfully reloading steel 223 cases. Steel pistol cases reload even better. For that matter I have been reloading Blazer aluminum 45ACP with light loads successfully. Is it as good as brass, no way, but it can be done.

But as other have pointed out most shooter choose Bear, Wolf and similar steel cased ammo for its cost not its reloadability.

mcb
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
mcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 11705
I had a guy tell me has does reload berdan primed brass but it's a pain. It takes 2 or 3 extra steps. He drills it out or something. He didn't mention steel.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 23329
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb View Post
Some of the Wolf steel cased is boxer primed. I believe its the black box stuff. There are guys successfully reloading steel 223 cases. Steel pistol cases reload even better. For that matter I have been reloading Blazer aluminum 45ACP with light loads successfully. Is it as good as brass, no way, but it can be done.

But as other have pointed out most shooter choose Bear, Wolf and similar steel cased ammo for its cost not its reloadability.

mcb
The black box stuff in7.62X39 is Berdan. I have never shot any steel case ammo that was boxer primed. Wolf, brown bear or Chinese.
Jack the Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:07 PM   #10
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
The wolf black box 9mm is boxer primed for sure, I'm pretty sure the .223 is also.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
bear ammo russian 410
berdan primed ammo casing
brown bear ammo.boxer primed

brown bear berdan

brown bear berdan prime
brown bear steel cased berdan?
can brown bear ammo be reloaded?
can you reload brown bear

can you reload brown bear ammo

golden bear 223 ammo for sale
golden bear boxer primed

golden bear primer type

reloading brown bear ammo

reloading russian 410 ammo
russian berdan

russian berdan priner

Click on a term to search for related topics.