• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Replacing Birdshot with Buckshot ???

This is a discussion on Replacing Birdshot with Buckshot ??? within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Is it possible to open a shotshell that is loaded with birdshot and replace it with #4 Buckshot ?? I'm asking because I can buy ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Replacing Birdshot with Buckshot ???

Old 09-27-2008, 12:38 AM   #1
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
Replacing Birdshot with Buckshot ???

Is it possible to open a shotshell that is loaded with birdshot and replace it with #4 Buckshot ??

I'm asking because I can buy the 100 round packs # walmart pretty cheap, and loose shot is not that expensive.

What would be required to do this safely and effectively ??

I'm also thinking of this as a cheap, SHTF, ran out of the good stuff option.

Any thoughts ??
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-27-2008, 12:58 AM   #2
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 7648
Interesting question. I'll be looking for a good answer myself.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:12 AM   #3
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 13749
LIGHTLY open up the crimps with a butter knife, replace the shot, and use a "re-crimper"
(they make something like that for people who re-load their own shells)

It would be cool to make some of them Rock-Salt loads like Granny from the Beverly Hillbillies!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ
ΛΑΒΕ
Yuppicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:13 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 25246
Buy a Lee Load-All. I have reloaded every kind of 12 gauge round I could think of with this thing. Slugs, Buck, Bird, Flechette! these can be bought at midway for under $50. Once you get a 'feel' for reloading the crimps will look as good as factory ammo. Seriously everyone should have one of these.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:48 AM   #5
mcb
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 5280
I doubt that once you have really run the number that it turns out cost effective. You have to buy the economy birdshot ammo, then the buckshot and then the labor to do the conversion.

The other problem is buckshot can behaves very differently in the barrel than bird shot. So a powder charge that is safe with 1.125oz of birdshot may or may not be safe with a similar weight of buckshot. Watch for deals on buckshot and stock up if that it was you need/shoot.

mcb
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
mcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:50 AM   #6
XDTalk 80K Member

Member #: 14053
I just buy #4 rounds...which are a good choice IMO.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb View Post
I doubt that once you have really run the number that it turns out cost effective. You have to buy the economy birdshot ammo, then the buckshot and then the labor to do the conversion.

The other problem is buckshot can behaves very differently in the barrel than bird shot. So a powder charge that is safe with 1.125oz of birdshot may or may not be safe with a similar weight of buckshot. Watch for deals on buckshot and stock up if that it was you need/shoot.

mcb

+1
"Who will govern the governors? There is only one force in the nation that can be depended upon to keep the government pure and the governors honest, and that is the people themselves. They alone, if well informed, are capable of preventing the corruption of power, and of restoring the nation to its rightful course if it should go astray. They alone are the safest depository of the ultimate powers of government."

- Thomas Jefferson
Slade797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 25298
If you replace the birdshot with the same weight or less using buckshot, you'll be ok. I can speculate that patterns will be wide and useful only for close range. Most factory buckshot is buffered to limit pellet damage for tighter patterns

Just buy cheap 25rd boxes of buckshot online from places like ammotogo, natchez, ammoman, etc. It's cheaper and safer - especially if don't have access to shotgun reloading components.
Rampant Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 17178
There is such a difference in powder charge that I don't know if the heavier shot would come out at an effective velocity. If I remember corectly walmart had winchester 00buck for $7.98 a box of 15 , I know that is a lot more expensive than their bulk pack target rounds but you also know you can trust them.
Popa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
All interesting ideas.

Like I said, I was thinking SHTF and what it would take to convert cheap stuff ... The birdshot would be the last stuff on the shelves, IMO ... So I was just thinking .... Thanks for the responses.
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
birdshot to buckshot
buckshot through bird shot barrel
buckshot vs birdshot weight for weight
can buckshot be replaced in load data with t shot
can you replace shot with buckshot
convert birdshot to buckshot
converting birdshot to buckshot
replace bird shot with buckshot

replace birdshot with buckshot

replacing .410 shot with buckshot

replacing bird shot with buckshot

replacing bird shot with slugs

replacing birdshot with buckshot

replacing buckshot for bird shot

turning birdshot and buckshot

Click on a term to search for related topics.