• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Montana-Gold Bullets...

This is a discussion on Montana-Gold Bullets... within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I was set on the 115gr FMJ in 9mm from Hornady for my first reload. I've got 500 HP-XTPs coming free for getting a press. ...

Old 09-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 27513
Montana-Gold Bullets...

I was set on the 115gr FMJ in 9mm from Hornady for my first reload. I've got 500 HP-XTPs coming free for getting a press. A friend of mine suggested I look into the Montana-Gold bullets, @ 20.00 cheaper for a thousand than Hornady. Does anyone here use them?
From the Hornady book: 5.6gr of PowerPistol for 1100 fps, the max is 6.7 gr @1250 fps using either the HP-XTP w/ COL: 1.075 or the FMJ w/ COL:1.100. If I use the the Montana-Golds instead of the Hornadys, would the recipe remain the same? I hope that's not too dumb a question.
Thanks
redyak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25129
The recipe will change when you change any component. The dimensions of the bullet are very doubtfully the same as the Hornady.

As for the bullets, I've never heard of the company. Doesn't mean they're no good, but I would test them thoroughly for carry. If they're for practice, go for it. Cheaper is always better, assuming you still get a quality bullet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Joeywhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:43 AM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 23037
Montana Gold are alright for shooting paper! I loaded and shot a case or two of MG. I have no idea why they make a hollow point, it is so hard that it will not expand. I've switched to the FMJ.
Get a friend or two to go in with you and buy a case. You'll wish that you had bought the case on your own, before you are finished. I don't remember but I think the case has 3,750 bullets or what ever it takes to make up 66 lbs. You'll get your order within three work days brought to you by your friendly USPS. They prefer shipping to a commercial address, I guess because the carriers are more physically able or something... The company is in Montana and I'm in NC, I never sent or received anything with USPS so fast! Their prices include shipping.
https://secure3.mooseweb.com/montana.../pricelist.tpl

I ain't the expert, but I've made a lot of the wrong decisions!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

If Homicide Is Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Commit Homicide
Edubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:59 AM   #4
mcb
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 5280
I have shot over 10,000 Montana Gold 180 CMJ 40 cal bullets. They are excellent bullets for target shooting. They have a very heavy brass (instead of copper) jacket. This heavier jacket help keep them a very uniform size and weight. The CMJ (complete metal jacket) completely encapsulated the lead core so there is no exposed lead which is nice both handleing and shooting them. They are good bullets!

mcb
mcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 20991
MGs are good, but I shoot Precision Delta FMJs for range/games/plinking. They are even cheaper and are a good bullet.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:44 AM   #6
mcb
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 5280
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhillsing23 View Post
MGs are good, but I shoot Precision Delta FMJs for range/games/plinking. They are even cheaper and are a good bullet.
I also recently switch to Precision Delta because of cost. They are good enough for USPSA but I have found them not nearly as consistant and MG. I would sample weight MG and weight would vary at most 0.1grains. With the PD I get variation as high as 1.0grains. I would say that PD's 230gr FMJ 0.451 bullets seemed to be a much better/consistent bullet then the 180gr FMJ 0.400 bullets I have used. Nether are as nice as the MG CMJ but you are going to pay more for that quality.

Rambling
mcb
mcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24444
I use MG .124 FMJ's and like them very much. Service is excellent and quality outstanding. Will try JHP's the next time, just because, unless anyone can give me a reason why not to try them. $7/case is not a reason!
Old 09-26-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 22307
Over 50,000 Montana Gold bullets down my barrels, so far. Have loaded and shot 124gr JHP in 9mm and 38Super, 180gr JHP in 40S&W, and recently tried their 55gr 223 bullets. IMHO you won't find a better bullet at a better price for Action Pistol competition and the 223s get me sub MOA from 2 different AR15s.
scooterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 23037
Quote:
Originally Posted by highscore View Post
I use MG .124 FMJ's and like them very much. Service is excellent and quality outstanding. Will try JHP's the next time, just because, unless anyone can give me a reason why not to try them. $7/case is not a reason!
Nothing wrong with MG JHP except they are no better than the CMJ or FMJ, they did not expand going through six gallon jugs. If your gun is more accurate with a hollow point they will be worth every penny difference!

I ain't the expert, but I've made a lot of the wrong decisions!

If Homicide Is Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Commit Homicide
Edubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #10
XDTalk Member

Member #: 24096
we only reload montana golds right now.

we've also used speer, hornady, berrys, and precision (lead)....

all have worked well so far. the montana golds seem decent for the money.

xd_john is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
montana bullet review
montana bullets review
montana gold 9mm 115gr jhp bullets
montana gold 9mm review

montana gold bullet review

montana gold bullet reviews

montana gold bullets

montana gold bullets review

montana gold bullets reviews
montana gold jhp review
montana gold review
montana gold reviews
review montana gold bullets
review of montana gold bullets
reviews on montana gold bullets
Click on a term to search for related topics.