• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Shipping ammo, arghhhhhhh

This is a discussion on Shipping ammo, arghhhhhhh within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Anyone tried shipping ammo lately? I did today and what a PITA! I get to a UPS "store" to ship some ammo and the guy ...

Old 09-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 10059
Angry Shipping ammo, arghhhhhhh

Anyone tried shipping ammo lately?

I did today and what a PITA!

I get to a UPS "store" to ship some ammo and the guy asks me what's in the box. I tell him it's ammo and he gives me a panic look. He then asks me if they are bullets I say yea............duh. He asks me if it is live bullets. I look at the box for a few seconds and then tell him I think they're dead.

He tells me I have to go to a "hub" if I want to ship live ammo.

So I see a post office on the way to a "hub" and pop in to try and send the ammo thru them 'cause I can't stand UPS anyways.

When I get to the counter, I get asked the typical is it hazardous etc. questions, so I tell the clerk they are bullets. She gives me the same frustrated look and tells me USPS can't ship bullets. So I ask her why? Says they use commercial planes to move the mail and don't want to risk shipping explosives.

I respond by saying that I travel with live rounds in my checked baggage and mostly on international flights, then she gives me a puzzled look, later.............

So I finally get to the "hub" nearest where I'm at and the clerk makes me buy an extra service of "adult signature required" (+$5.25 more than the shipping estimate) because she did not want a minor at the other end to receive it and do something "stupid".

To top it off, I get home and read this in the news from the same place I just left

By ELIOT KLEINBERG
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Monday, September 22, 2008

"RIVIERA BEACH- — Police arrested three men they say shot a man several times this morning in the parking lot of the UPS facility at Blue Heron Boulevard.

The three fled to the nearby Stonybrook Apartments, 1555 Martin Luther King Blvd., where an officer spotted them bailing out of a white pickup, police said.

Lt. Alex Freeman said the man, a UPS employee, was struck once in the leg. His injuries were not life threatening, Freeman said. He said police do not yet know the motive."

Note to self: USE ALL AMMO EVEN IF IT MEANS HAVING TO BUY ANOTHER GUN!

end of rant......................I think

Last edited by socuban; 09-22-2008 at 05:20 PM.
socuban is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 26776
Quote:
Originally Posted by socuban View Post
Stonybrook Apartments, 1555 Martin Luther King Blvd.
not surprised, most MLK streets are not in the nicest areas
KNO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 22972
I know a guy that shipped ammo by boxing it up himself and just shipped it without saying a thing....

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves"

Shhhh! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA membership -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

State handgun laws -

Rich States / Poor States - NEW

"Nothing good ever comes from a knock at the door"
UncleBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 15453
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNO3 View Post
not surprised, most MLK streets are not in the nicest areas
Ain't that the truth!

When I used to live in Long Beach, MLK north of where I lived was friggin scary!!

I would not want to be caught near there after dark.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 27013
when I bought ammo online they sent it regular usps to me. I don't think it went on a plane though. I think they just don't know any better.

** Thanks to all the great folks in the military for protecting our country **
jasonb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
Sub
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 28305
I don't see why you can't do UPS Ground. I know when i order hazardous mats ie paint and other crap like that i'm force to do ground as my shipping.
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 21415
You can exploit the idiots. There is a huge difference between bullets and ammo.

People ship "bullets" all the time via USPS. Ammo however is a no-no.

This Veteran is heavily medicated for your safety.

A lot not alot or allot
Threw, through, thru know the difference.
Your, you're
An or and
There, their, they're

Homonyms work sheet

List of homonyms

Cannibul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:12 AM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 6046
Ammunition Shipping How-To

Shipping ammunition is not that big a deal if you know what you have to do and what you can't do. I've got training in HazMat shipping and the following is what I've posted on other firearm forums. Follow these procedures and it will be a non-issue.
---------------------------------------------------

All regulation references are from Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

Besides these shipping regulations be aware that BATFE regulations also apply. Don't ship to felons, kids, etc. Most likely you'll be required to do a "Adult Signature" add-on to cover the shipper.

Also check on the state laws. More than one online ammo dealer won't ship to California or New Jersey.
========================================

Sec. 173.63 Packaging exceptions.

(b) Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices.
(1) Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices (which are used to project fastening devices) which have been classed as a Division 1.4S explosive may be reclassed, offered for transportation, and transported as ORM-D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section; such transportation is excepted from the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) and F (Placarding) of part 172 of this subchapter. Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as ORM-D material is limited to:
(i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol or shotgun;
(ii) Ammunition with inert projectiles or blank ammunition;
(iii) Ammunition having no tear gas, incendiary, or detonating explosive projectiles;
(iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shotshells; and
(v) Cartridges, power devices which are used to project fastening devices.
(2) Packaging for cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices as ORM-D material must be as follows:
(i) Ammunition must be packed in inside boxes, or in partitions which fit snugly in the outside packaging, or in metal clips;
(ii) Primers must be protected from accidental initiation;
(iii) Inside boxes, partitions or metal clips must be packed in securely-closed strong outside packagings;
(iv) Maximum gross weight is limited to 30 kg (66 pounds) per package; and
(v) Cartridges, power devices which are used to project fastening devices and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside packagings.

----------------------------------------

What this means is you can ship ammunition up to and including 8ga shotshells or .50 cal ammunition. The ammo must be packed in such a way that accidental primer ignition doesn't happen. Plastic ammo boxes are fine as is the way factory ammo comes. Pack shotshells the way the factory does it. .22 ammo only may be packed loose in a box. Pack each box inside another corrogated cardboard box. Used wadded newspaper to keep the boxes from rattling around during shipment. Max gross weight of each package is 66 pounds. If you are shipping a large amount, it has to broken up into lots no heavier than 66 pounds each.

Now that you've got it all packed, lets label it. Since we've reclassed this ammunition from a Class 1.4S Explosive to ORM-D by following the regs in 173.63 the labeling and paperwork requirements are less stringent.

Sec. 172.316 Packagings containing materials classed as ORM-D.

(a) Each non-bulk packaging containing a material classed as ORM-D must be marked on at least one side or end with the ORM-D designation immediately following or below the proper shipping name of the material. The ORM designation must be placed within a rectangle that is approximately 6.3 mm (0.25 inches) larger on each side than the designation. The designation for ORM-D must be:
(1) ORM-D-AIR for an ORM-D that is prepared for air shipment and packaged in accordance with the provisions of Sec. 173.27 of this subchapter.
(2) ORM-D for an ORM-D other than as described in paragraph (a)(1) of this section.
(b) When the ORM-D marking including the proper shipping name can not be affixed on the package surface, it may be on an attached tag.
(c) The marking ORM-D is the certification by the person offering the packaging for transportation that the material is properly described, classed, packaged, marked and labeled (when appropriate) and in proper condition for transportation according to the applicable regulations of this subchapter. This form of certification does not preclude the requirement for a certificate on a shipping paper when required by subpart C of this part.

On at least one side, not the top, place label that states "ORM-D". Just above the label you just slapped on the box put the proper shipping name "CARTRIDGES, SMALL ARMS" in printed letters. I've created a JPEG that has a decent sized ORM-D label with the proper shipping name as required. Problem is I can't figure out how to insert a file into this thread.

NOW, you can take the package to your shipper and you're 100% legal and by-the-book. By affixing the ORM-D label to the box you are certifying that what is inside is what you are saying it is and that you packed it as it should be. No further paperwork is required.

The local Post Office (USPS) will not ship ammunition or any other HazMat or ORM-D for that matter. FedEx or UPS are the usual choices. With these shippers you must go to a hub, not one of the strip mall 'stores'.

And if you're thinking about just throwing the ammo in a box and not telling anybody, don't! Penalties for knowingly shipping a HazMat are stiff and if an incident occurs do you want the first responders to be in danger because you didn't want to be inconvenienced? Remember ValueJet? That crash was due to improperly packed and shipped HazMat. Do it right or don't do it at all.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 25904
Your problem: A UPS Store is not UPS. I've found that in general, they are morons, anti-gun (won't accept them for shipment even to FFL), and overpriced. I was trying to send an Xbox360 to a friend when they first came out and they wouldn't send it via his Corporate UPS account because they "ran out of the airbills." The only option they offered was to ship it priority overnight for about 3x what it would've cost to go overnight under the corporate rate. They're crooks around here.
S&W 4" Model 15-3
1985 Bulgarian Makarov 9x18
Ruger Mk II 50th Anniversary (the wife's)
Ruger K10/22RPF
KingWulfgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 10059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Ellis View Post
Do it right or don't do it at all.
Great post Hank! On the flip side, I did receive an order today from ATG via UPS.

socuban is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
ammo+to pobox
can you send empty ammo cartridges by usps
can you ship bullets to a po box

can you ship bullets via usps

empty ammo cans ship internationally

how to ship .22 ammunition via ups

penalty for mailing ammunition

ship ammo by air

shipping ammo in louisiana

shipping ammo to a po box

shipping ammo to po box

shipping blank ammo

shipping blank ammunition

what happens if you ship ammo

what is penalty for sending/receiving ammunition via usps
Click on a term to search for related topics.