• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Best way to deal w/ primer pocket on .223 brass

This is a discussion on Best way to deal w/ primer pocket on .223 brass within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Military brass has the primer crimped into the pocket, which means using the used brass involves swaging or reaming the primer pocket to be able ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Best way to deal w/ primer pocket on .223 brass

Old 09-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 25494
Best way to deal w/ primer pocket on .223 brass

Military brass has the primer crimped into the pocket, which means using the used brass involves swaging or reaming the primer pocket to be able to reprime.

What's the best method people have found for doing this? Best is a combination of price/quality.

Are reamers a good approach? Best swaging tool? I've seen some that are pretty expensive, but I don't have an unlimited budget. I do, however, have some military brass (lake city, e.g.), and want to use it but need to prepare the primer pocket first.

Occam's Razor: If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.
mongoose33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
I use the lee reamer, I hook it up to a drill. I've heard that the Dillon swagger works better but I've never used one. The Lee reamer can get a bit tiresome, sometimes the case wont stay on the holder.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 18225
Location: Montreal, Quebecistan in the land of anti's... the dictatorship of Canada
It's not just military brass. Some of the commercial stuff has ring crimps in the primer pockets (FC comes to mind).

If you don't want to spend much, just use your chamfer tool to ream out the crimp. The RCBS swager is a good investment. For even more money, the Dillion Superswage works great.

I splurged and got two Dillons mounted on a piece of wood that I clamp to the reloading bench when needed. One for .223 and the other for .308/30-06 etc.
S&W: 686
Tokarev: 1942 Soviet TT33, 1958 Hungarian TT-58 Tokagypt, 1954 .22 Polish Sportowy
Norchinko: M14S (x2)
Yugo: M48 Mauser, M59/66 SKS
Desert Chicken 44Magnum
Levers: Win '94 1962 (unfired) & 1958 in 30-30
Taurus: 455 Tracker... 45ACP wheel gun... *WAY KEWL*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

If GUNS kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
medicstimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 15967
i use the RCBS swagging die combo set but word of caution go slow at first or you will bend the swagging rod and they are hard to find individually i had to get one from RCBS direct of course it was free but i had to wait for it. i think they are about $25
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man"
~Thomas Jefferson~

Email

Cell 405-659-0367
T.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 27145
Go with the Dillon tool. Tried most of the others and it is the best thing I have ever tried for the primer crimp. You get the parts for both small and large primers and a lifetime guarantee.
zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 27585
Quote:
Originally Posted by agalindo View Post
I use the lee reamer, I hook it up to a drill. I've heard that the Dillon swagger works better but I've never used one. The Lee reamer can get a bit tiresome, sometimes the case wont stay on the holder.
x200.. it is tiresome, but works well for me too
The91Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 25494
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
Go with the Dillon tool. Tried most of the others and it is the best thing I have ever tried for the primer crimp. You get the parts for both small and large primers and a lifetime guarantee.
Thanks to all for their advice--in the end, I closed my eyes, clutched my wallet, and bought the Dillon.

Now I await the Big Brown Truck of Happiness.

Occam's Razor: If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.
mongoose33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 7959
I love the dillon super swage. I need to run another 1,500 of lc through it sometime.

speedracer211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24444
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose33 View Post
Thanks to all for their advice--in the end, I closed my eyes, clutched my wallet, and bought the Dillon.

Now I await the Big Brown Truck of Happiness.
You will be pleased with the Dillon, simple and fast!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #10
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 10288
RCBS swager is a PITA with .223... I stick to Lee reamers when the crimp aint too bad.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
.223 primer pocket military bras

.223 primer pocket reamer

.223 primer pocket swager

223 primer pocket reamer

223 primer pocket swager

223 primer pocket tool
best 223 swagger
best way to swag 223 primer pockets military brass
brass primer pocket reamer
dillon case swagger
how to ream 223 brass
ream primer 223 brass
reaming 223 brass
swaging .223 brass
swaging tool for 223 brass
what reamer to use on military cases
Click on a term to search for related topics.