• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Best press for reloading, turret vs. progressive

This is a discussion on Best press for reloading, turret vs. progressive within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Hey guys, I'm looking at getting into reloading but am having a lot of trouble deciding on a press. I was looking at the Lee ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Best press for reloading, turret vs. progressive

Old 06-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24977
Best press for reloading, turret vs. progressive

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting into reloading but am having a lot of trouble deciding on a press. I was looking at the Lee 4 hole turret press and am wondering if I should not waste my time and step up to a progressive press. Also, if I do get a progressive I don't really want to spend a ton of money to get a Dillon, but have heard bad things about the Lee loadmaster and 1000 presses. Let me give you guys some info, post some specific questions I have, and let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

Info- I want to reload because I think its part of the hobby of target shooting, also I plan on shooting around 200-300 rounds a month. I am interested in doing it to save money in the long run since ammo prices keep going up and up, and would be starting out reloading only 9mm. Eventually I plan on getting a .45 handgun and also have a .308 that would get shot a lot more if I had ammo. Not really looking to make any exotic loads and really don't need my loads to be much better than the WWB that I'm using now. The gun and ammo are not the weak point when I'm shooting if you know what I mean. Although I have heard that most hand loads end up being far superior to cheap factory ammo when made correctly. Also, I will mainly be using WWB and UMC brass that is recycled from factory loads I bought. Since one of the reasons for doing this is to save money, cost of equipment is a major concern. Don't mind buying everything I need and not looking to cut corners but I don't want to pay for a name either.

Questions- Which press is going to be the simplest for me to setup, troubleshoot, use?

Should I just get the turret now since its cheaper and get a high end progressive (Dillon) years on down the road or just bite the bullet now?

Heard mixed things about Lee in general, mainly that they are cheap but get the job done, any thoughts/experience with them?

Know of any good websites or other resources that will help me understand the process of reloading better?

So far I know I need a press, dies, powder dispenser, auto primer, caliper, tumbler, deburring tools; any other bigger purchase items I'm missing? I don't need anything fancy yet like a chrono, etc.

I apologize for the long post, had lots to get off my chest. Thanks guys.
Remington 700 ADL .308
Remington 870 12 gauge
Marlin 336 .30-30
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Ruger MkIII 22/45
Ruger 10/22 carbine
Ruger GP100 .357 mag
rjss is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-05-2008, 11:38 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 23681
I have a Lee Classic Turret press and am very happy with it. I can reload about 150 an hour now. Price wise you really can't go wrong with a Lee especially if you decide you don't like reloading. I ordered mine from Kempf Gun Shop and it comes with almost everything you need to start. I highly recommend getting a couple or more different reloading manuals. Once you get started you won't want to stop.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:43 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 21313
I've got three Dillon presses, dies for 10 or 12 calibers. Recently I completely disassembled the oldest press, cleaned and reassembled-replaced some small parts (plastic). It now runs as well as the newest.

The Dillon instructions are clear, well diagrammed and very 'followable'.

Bite the bullet; don't look back.

Buy a good reloading manual-the Lyman has a full set of instructions----forget the web--too many self-aggrandizing types. Reloading is a very simple mass production operation. But 200-300 pistol rounds is about 30 minutes work on a Dillon 550.

With the Dillon you need scale, caliper, tumbler/separator, flip tray, pick-up tubes and components--Go online at Brian Enos's site; he built them, fixed them, sold them and uses them--he'll get you the right deal to start and answer all questions.
jfdavis58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:46 AM   #4
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
I own two 550Bs & a RCBS AmmoMaster single stage. Honestly, if all you are going to load is 200-300/m, you don't need a progressive. You can load 50/hr on a single stage, maybe 150/hr on a turret & upto 500+ on a progressive. The Lee turret press, w/ interchangeable tool heads is a decent piece of equip for the money. It will certainly handle your needs. The other way to go is buy a quality single stage, slow & sure, it will get you 200rds in 4hr/wk. You can upgrade later to a progressive if you feel the need & keep the single stage for small batch loading or decapping or case forming, etc. Best buy in a progressive today is probably th Hornady LNL. Dillon stuff is great but getting pricey & you get free bullets w/ the Hornady, that's another $100+.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:55 AM   #5
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I own two 550Bs & a RCBS AmmoMaster single stage. Honestly, if all you are going to load is 200-300/m, you don't need a progressive. You can load 50/hr on a single stage, maybe 150/hr on a turret & upto 500+ on a progressive. The Lee turret press, w/ interchangeable tool heads is a decent piece of equip for the money. It will certainly handle your needs. The other way to go is buy a quality single stage, slow & sure, it will get you 200rds in 4hr/wk. You can upgrade later to a progressive if you feel the need & keep the single stage for small batch loading or decapping or case forming, etc. Best buy in a progressive today is probably th Hornady LNL. Dillon stuff is great but getting pricey & you get free bullets w/ the Hornady, that's another $100+.
Being as I took delivery of a LnL on Monday ... I gotta agree. I researched all the big name presses and the LnL is somewhere between the Dillon 550 & 650 ... But is less expensive than either Dillon press.

rjss,
If you decide to go with a progressive ... Read post #3
Introducing the hornady lock and load ap

With that said, I have read that the Lee Turret is a good machine and costs a lot less than a Dillon or Hornady.
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:39 AM   #6
McD
XDTalk Member

Member #: 23648
I had the same decision on what press to by a few months ago. I went with the Lee Classic turret kit from Kempf. Works great, very cost effective and I'm loading 200-300 a week in just a few hours. It loads quick enough to keep the misses of my A** about spending all my time in "My room".... must load quick enough!
Old 06-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 13228
Start with the classic turret. I have that and a Loadmaster also, which both I am VERY satisfied. With the loadmaster, it is alot to keep up with at one time seeing you are loading 5 brass at a time, and making sure all is going well is a bit to keep up with for a starter. With the turret you are working on one at a time and can dedicate attention much better. Can't speak for Dillon, nor the LnL, but the Loadmaster has one heck of a learning curve too. Once you get her adjusted, she will rock-n -roll out some rounds.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 7955
Lock N' Load AP. Easy to set up. I was up and running in no time. Free bullets and less expensive than a Dillon.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Thanks for all the great responses. Nice to know so many guys on here reload, in case (...I mean when) I have issues in the future. After thinking about it since I'm a complete newbie to reloading, fairly tight on cash, and don't need high output, I am heavily leaning towards the turret press. Then in the future after I better understand the intricacies of the process will probably step up in brand/setup. I will keep you guys updated if/when I get a press, which will probably be by the end of the month. Keep the responses coming.
Remington 700 ADL .308
Remington 870 12 gauge
Marlin 336 .30-30
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Ruger MkIII 22/45
Ruger 10/22 carbine
Ruger GP100 .357 mag
Old 06-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on where to get reloading stuff for the best price? I usually buy stuff from midwayusa and am very pleased with their service and prices. Just curious.
Remington 700 ADL .308
Remington 870 12 gauge
Marlin 336 .30-30
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Ruger MkIII 22/45
Ruger 10/22 carbine
Ruger GP100 .357 mag

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
best lee progressive press

best progressive reloading press

best reloading turret press
best turret press
best turret press for reloading

best turret reloading press

progressive press vs turret
progressive press vs turret press
progressive reloader comparison
reloading turret press
turret or progressive press
turret press vs progressive

turret press vs progressive press

turret reloading press

turret reloading press reviews

turret vs progressive press

Click on a term to search for related topics.