• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Carbide Dies vs. Standard(?) Dies

This is a discussion on Carbide Dies vs. Standard(?) Dies within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Hello, I am contemplating getting in to the reloading aspect of shooting (like everyone else lately it seems), and I'm looking at the Lee Turret ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Carbide Dies vs. Standard(?) Dies

Old 05-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 1727
Carbide Dies vs. Standard(?) Dies

Hello,

I am contemplating getting in to the reloading aspect of shooting (like everyone else lately it seems), and I'm looking at the Lee Turret Press Deluxe Kit. It references Carbide dies, but I can't seem to find out what the difference is between carbide dies, and just dies.

Can someone help me out here? Thanks!

"You have a pistol to defend your life and home. Now get a rifle to defend your country." - Caribou
New2Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 14100
Carbide dies supposedly does not need case lube, but I have found that they still do.
EricCartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
The only thing carbide in a die set is a ring of carbide in the sizing die. This allows you to not NEED case lube but some guys still lube the cases. It is well worth the slight extra cost. I don't lube service pistol cases, they are short enough & friction isn't that high. I do lube the longer magnum cases for easier sizing but it isn't required.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 7229
i dont know how the reloading press works, but in machining carbide is a lot more durable than steel,

-a pimp.
nasnickerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 13228
Carbide only way to fly
Old 05-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 10456
We used carbide dies in our Dillons at school for 9, 40, 45, and 44. We never lube our cases. I'll always make sure that I have carbide dies not, simply because I've never had to lube cases before, and I'll probably think it is a pain by comparison.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasnickerz View Post
i dont know how the reloading press works, but in machining carbide is a lot more durable than steel,
Same in reloading. The carbide sizer will not wear or embed anything that will eventually scratch your cases. I just wish they made them for rifles but the carbide insert would be really long & very expensive.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 10948
Carbide dies for straight walled cases (standard pistol cartridges) do not require case lube. Steel dies do. A little lube, such as the spray lubes like Hornady One-Shot, will smooth up the whole process even more but it is not necessary. For bottleneck cases (rifle cartridges) carbide dies still require lube. Carbide dies have a carbide insert that performs the resizing action. Carbide is harder than steel so one word of caution is to NOT adjust your sizer die to where it compresses on the shell holder/plate or you take the chance of breaking the carbide ring.

If you are loading pistol rounds all steel dies make no sense at all. Carbide (or similar) is the only way to go. Good luck!
WyoXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 23583
I use spray lube so it only takes me 10 seconds to lube an entire tray of shells, so I figure what they hey. It can't hurt
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24444
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoXD View Post
Carbide dies for straight walled cases (standard pistol cartridges) do not require case lube. Steel dies do. A little lube, such as the spray lubes like Hornady One-Shot, will smooth up the whole process even more but it is not necessary. For bottleneck cases (rifle cartridges) carbide dies still require lube. Carbide dies have a carbide insert that performs the resizing action. Carbide is harder than steel so one word of caution is to NOT adjust your sizer die to where it compresses on the shell holder/plate or you take the chance of breaking the carbide ring.

If you are loading pistol rounds all steel dies make no sense at all. Carbide (or similar) is the only way to go. Good luck!

WyoXD is correct in his assessment of carbide vrs. non carbide dies. Spend a bit more for the carbide if they are available in the caliber you need. I never lube straight walled pistol brass that I reload through my Dillon dies, never! I use Dillon carbide 9mm, 45 ACP, and .223. I did have a self inflicted problem with the .223 and Dillon cheerfully supplied repair parts free of charge, Truly a no BS warranty!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page

carbide dies vs regular dies

carbide pistol dies vs steel dies
carbide reloading die vs

carbide reloading dies vs regular dies

carbide vs standard reloading dies
carbine vs regular dies
difference between using carbide vs steel in compacting dies
rcbs carbide dies or standard dies
rcbs carbide vs standard
reloading dies carbide vs steel
should you use carbide or steel dies for reloading
tungsten carbide reloading rings
what is the difference between a carbide reloading vs steel die
what is the difference between a carbide.and normal die
what is the difference between tungsten and carbide reloading dies
what the difference between a carbide die or not a carbide
Click on a term to search for related topics.