• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Do pulled bullets effect accracy?

This is a discussion on Do pulled bullets effect accracy? within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I just relaoded about 20 rounds of 30-06. I loaded them with 49 grs of IMR 4895. All my other rounds are loaded with 48grs. ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Do pulled bullets effect accracy?

Old 03-24-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 22695
Do pulled bullets effect accracy?

I just relaoded about 20 rounds of 30-06. I loaded them with 49 grs of IMR 4895. All my other rounds are loaded with 48grs. I wanted to pull the bullets and take the powder down to 48grs so they are all the same. Does the pulled bullets effect accracy at all? Should I even worrie about the extra 1 gr. They are loaded with nosler BTs.
bullets1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-25-2008, 12:25 AM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
Pulled bullets are never going to give you the same accuracy as non pulled, especially if they were crimped. Still, for blasting ammo, I have & will use them again.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:28 AM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 15306
how are you going to pull them ? If you use a inertia puller it wont leave any marks and the accuracy will probably be affected very little. The collet style pullers will usually leave marks on the bullet and affect the accuracy a little more. But either way I would still use them.
zac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:36 AM   #4
XDTalk Member

Just tried the collet puller and it jacket up the bullets and the die is stuck in the press....damn, but initially i was gonna use the inertia puller due to the only minor marks on the bullet.

Does 1 gr. of powder really make a big diffrence though?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:44 AM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 17964
well it could make a BIG difference but that depends on if your at max or not. if within safe limits i would just shoot them unstead of going through all that crap. do you have a chronograph? probably not since if you did you would know if it would make a big difference.

what are these bullets for? if just for plinking then no worries but if for hunting i would use all 48 or use all 49 unless you test them and sind out how the POI changes.

what distances do you plan on shooting these? if its 100 yards i dont think the difference is going to be much. but if its 500+ then the difference is going to show most likely. but haveing not loaded many rifle rounds yet (all ive done is short range with my ar with reloads) i dont know what kind of velocity difference your going to get

so either test to see the change in POI or find out the FPS and run in a ballistic program to see the difference
rogerxd45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:00 AM   #6
XDTalk Member

yeah, no chronograph here. Think im just gonna use them as high quality plinking ammo . itll give me a reason to by more bullets and reload more for the rifle. Thanks for all the info tho.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 23583
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets1st View Post
Just tried the collet puller and it jacket up the bullets and the die is stuck in the press....damn, but initially i was gonna use the inertia puller due to the only minor marks on the bullet.

Does 1 gr. of powder really make a big diffrence though?
That is really up to your gun and what weight bullet you are using. I just looked at my reload manual and IMR 4895 loaded at 48 grains is the max load for a 165 grain bullet.

As for pressure it depends on the age and quality of your rifle. A friend of mine shoots lots of bullets that are loaded beyond published data and doesn't see any dangerous pressure signs on his shot cases and on the computer readout program he uses when he tests new loads.

Is the load compressed? How close is the bullet to the lands? Lots of variables. If you've shot lots of 30'06 at 48 grains and there is no danger sign then I would venture to say that yes will be fine.

To test if the bullets are fine. Load two rounds with 48.5 grains and fire those and inspect them before you shoot the bullets loaded with 49 grains. If the 48.5's come out without any danger signs then you should be fine with 49 grains.

I am not giving you license to throw discretion in the wind though
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

"I just looked at my reload manual and IMR 4895 loaded at 48 grains is the max load for a 165 grain bullet."

The data I have says that 52 grains is the max. Odd. Well...I think now Im just gonna pull the bullets and drop the grains down by 1 to be on the safe side. Ive used 165grs before charged with 48 grains of 4895 and they worked out fine and if I remeber correctly thats what the gun is sighted in for right now anyways.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 23583
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets1st View Post
"I just looked at my reload manual and IMR 4895 loaded at 48 grains is the max load for a 165 grain bullet."

The data I have says that 52 grains is the max. Odd. Well...I think now Im just gonna pull the bullets and drop the grains down by 1 to be on the safe side. Ive used 165grs before charged with 48 grains of 4895 and they worked out fine and if I remeber correctly thats what the gun is sighted in for right now anyways.

reload manuals are all different.

I have three different ones and they read 48, 49 and 47.5 for the max so its whatever, its published data
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page

accuracy of pulled bullets

are pulled bullets accurate
do pull marks affect accuracy
do pull marks affect reloading
do pulled bullets effect acuracy
pull down bullets accuracy
pulled ammo

pulled bullet accuracy

remove marks on pulled bullets

what are pulled bullets

what is pulled ammo
what is pulled ammunition
what is pulled bullet
what is pulled bullets
will pull marks affect accuracy
will pulled bullets shoot accurately
Click on a term to search for related topics.