• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

+p or +p+ rounds?

This is a discussion on +p or +p+ rounds? within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; New to handguns and looking to get XD-9, are they rated for +p rounds or +P+? Thanks...

Old 02-10-2008, 09:53 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 23158
+p or +p+ rounds?

New to handguns and looking to get XD-9, are they rated for +p rounds or +P+? Thanks
cstryker02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 13198
You are good to go. XDs are rated for +p +p+ is not in the sammi books. It just a little hotter round. If you need +++++PP++P+ get a .40 or a rifle.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 10244
I use Ranger +P+ in my XD9 subby and love them. Usually only for carry since they are $$$.

Bi-Tone XD 45ACP Service
Bi-tone XD9 SC
Ruger Standard .22 LR
Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .454 Casull/.45 Long Colt 2.5 barrel (say hello to my lil' friend!)
Custom built M4
Ruger LCP
Leinad .410 DB Snake Charmer
Taurus SS Pt1911 45ACP
Hutch4KSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 13031
Just so you are aware, this is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpressure_ammunition
Quote:
The +P+ designation is not currently used by the SAAMI, but is used by some manufacturers to designate loads that exceed the +P SAAMI specification. One source lists the 9 x 19 mm +P+ loading as having a pressure of 42,000 psi, an 18% increase over the standard pressure of 35,000 psi, and the .38 Special +P+ as 22,000, a 29% increase over the standard pressure.
IOW, there is no specification for +p+ pressure ammo, and as far as I know, there are no firearms that can be rated as capable of a steady diet of this kind of ammo. We use any +p+ ammo purely at our own risk.
Ziltoid The Omniscient for Supreme World Ruler 2008: "I am so omniscient, if there were 2 omniscient beings in the omniverse, I would be both of them! Bring me your planet's finest cup of coffee!"
spamlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 21356
I, have a xd9 service. Just started reloading and my first 16 rounds came out way too hot +++++P. I, was suppose to use 5.9gr of powder which would give me 1135 velocity. Must of had a brain fart reading the scale. Went to the range fired first round way more recoil and loud. Checked cartridge looked ok. Fired two more have a FTF, cleared it checked cart. again ok. Finished firing remaining rounds. They grouped nice made big holes in target. Went home checked my formula and scale settings. Found the problem, scale was at 9gr instead of 5.9gr. Took my gun and gave it a good cleaning and checked for any damage found none. Now I, check and recheck scale setting 5Xs. I, was real lucky gun did not blow up must be because it's an XD.
AR15 556/223 CMMG 16" mid-length upper, RRA lower
Doc 3773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
tec
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 3850
61.)
Q. Can I feed my XD a diet of +p+ ammo?
A.)
Want2race

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:31 pm Post subject:

Just because I have a low post count doesnt make me an idiot

I know all about the standard. My Baby eagle says its up to +P+ in the book.

Here is a good summary:

Quote:
The 9mm Parabellum cartridge (commonly called 9mm Luger in the US) has traditionally been loaded more lightly on this side of the Atlantic than in Europe. The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturing Institute (SAAMI) has set a pressure ceiling for standard pressure 9mm Para at 35,000 pounds per square inch (psi). By contrast, NATO pressure ceiling is 42,000 psi. In-between U.S. standard pressure 9mm and NATO spec, we have two options. 9mm +P has a SAAMI pressure ceiling of 38,500 psi. Thereís no SAAMI spec for 9mm +P+; thatís just a way of saying its pressures exceed +P standards

So if the XD is rated NATO +P+ isnt an issue. If its rated SAAMI it may be a problem.

Thus my question...

jason99xj

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:28 pm Post subject: Re: Is the XD +P+ rated?

Want2race wrote:
I tried to search but got Nada

I'm currently carrying +p's

If you're using a 9mm Serivice Model, yes. I purchased some RA9TA for myself and a friend to shoot up, and emailed Springfield.

Reply from Tom Macke from Springfield re. Winchester Ranger 9mm 127+p+ (RA9TA):

Quote:
Due to the fact that our entire line of
XD pistols features fully ramped and supported barrels,
using +P and +P+ ammo will not damage your gun.
However, we do recommend that you make sure the ammo is
American made and is in new condition, not re-loads.
If you are planning to use +P or +P+ ammo, we recommend
that you fire it extensively at the range before relying
on it for concealed carry or self defense. Although +P or
+P+ ammo will not damage your XD, a steady diet of this
higher power ammo may decrease the service life of the
barrel & firearm.

Thanks, Tom

reverendtm

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:17 pm Post subject:

A whiel back I emailed Springfield about this and they said to go ahead and use +p+ as long as they arn't reloads. +p+ won't void your warranty as long as it is factory.

OneBadWagon

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:17 am Post subject:

I talked to springfield, and they said the gun is fine with +p, although they were reluctant to recommend any +p+ ammo for obvious reasons.

tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 7628
Also:
Anyone run 9mm Ranger 127gr +p+ ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
Just an FYI, Ive emailed SA about this in the past, and this is their response:
Quote:
Hi Matthew,

The Springfield XD 9mm is not rated for +P+ ammunition. Officially, we do not recommend shooting it, but if you're not using it on a regular basis, it will be fine.

Thank you for choosing Springfield Armory!

Mitch
Customer Service Representative
Springfield, Inc.
1-800-680-6866

So, while it may not be rated, it should be fine as long as you realize that it will accelerate wear and tear.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 13031
This is just my opinion, and is worth less than you paid for it.

I don't know how Eagle industries, Springfield Armory, or any firearms manufacturer can in any way say that their firearms are safe to use with +p+ ammo when there is no known standard for +p+ pressure. If I was an ammo maker, I could mark ammo with insanely high pressures as +p+, and add a warning about "use strictly at your own risk, this ammo may damage your property, your health, and maybe even your life!", and people would buy it. All I'd have to do is say it's loaded to NATO specs.

Unless you know what the pressure of the +p+ ammo will be, and you know your firearm configuration can handle it, why risk it? Sure, folks can toss around NATO figures, and then say "This ammo says it's loaded to NATO standards", but unless you have testing equipment, how can you be sure?

Is there a problem with modern, reliably expanding, standard or +p pressure ammo that doesn't satisfy your handgun needs?
Ziltoid The Omniscient for Supreme World Ruler 2008: "I am so omniscient, if there were 2 omniscient beings in the omniverse, I would be both of them! Bring me your planet's finest cup of coffee!"
spamlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 23329
So, I have some Winchester 124 gr. marked 9mm NATO on the box. I have fired a couple boxes. No damage to the gun and groups great. Are you saying it would be rated +P+ ? It doesn't seem (by recoil and report) to be that hot. Corbon 115 gr. +P ammo seems quite a bit hotter.

Last edited by Jack the Toad; 02-12-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Jack the Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 8445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc 3773 View Post
I, have a xd9 service. Just started reloading and my first 16 rounds came out way too hot +++++P. I, was suppose to use 5.9gr of powder which would give me 1135 velocity. Must of had a brain fart reading the scale. Went to the range fired first round way more recoil and loud. Checked cartridge looked ok. Fired two more have a FTF, cleared it checked cart. again ok. Finished firing remaining rounds. They grouped nice made big holes in target. Went home checked my formula and scale settings. Found the problem, scale was at 9gr instead of 5.9gr. Took my gun and gave it a good cleaning and checked for any damage found none. Now I, check and recheck scale setting 5Xs. I, was real lucky gun did not blow up must be because it's an XD.
LOL , at least you caught it ! Dont you hate it when you know something is really wrong , but can resist the urge to go just a lil more?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
are springfield xd9 rated for p ammo
are springfield xds pistols rated for p ammo?
can a sprinfield xd9 use p ammo?
can u shoot p or p from a xd 40
can xd and xdm shoot p rounds
can xdm handle ammo marked with p
does p ammo hurt your gun

springfield xd 9mm p

springfield xd and p

springfield xd p

springfield xd p capable
springfield xd9 p ammo
springfield xdm 9mm p
what are p rounds
what pistols can fire p rounds
will a springfield xd(m) handle p ammunition
Click on a term to search for related topics.