• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

9mm vs. 40s&w ammo costs

This is a discussion on 9mm vs. 40s&w ammo costs within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; i did some research and tried to find like quality JHP ammunition in the 9 and 40 variety and as far as i can tell ...

Old 05-02-2005, 09:55 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 5923
9mm vs. 40s&w ammo costs

i did some research and tried to find like quality JHP ammunition in the 9 and 40 variety and as far as i can tell the 40 is only slightly more expensive, and being that i was leaning toward the 40 b/c it seems to have higher stopping power %.

I think the 9 was 91% SP, and the 40 was 96% stoppower. so.. i like the idea of being the most effecient, but i realize they are very close.

i wont be shooting that much, but i will practice 3-5X a month... so my question to you experinced XD owners is this.

will the benefit of having the 9 with cheaper ammo make that big of a difference to my wallet, or will the added peace of mind that i get with the 40 outweigh the cost..

thanks

lynx
thehumanlynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-02-2005, 10:08 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 5043
I would not pay much heed to stopping power projections. Shot placement is more important. A hit with a 32acp beats a miss with a 44 mag.
I prefer 9mm in the XD for a few reasons. It holds more rounds per mag than the same gun in .40. 9mm target ammo is half the price of 40. Premium defensive ammo costs about the same but rarely more than 40, usually a little less.
9mm ammo is EVERYWHERE. I've seen places run out of .40.

As far as "not shooting that much", you may change your mind after your first trip to the range with the XD and buy a yearly membership.
HighVelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:12 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 5360
Well when pricing ammo I have always looked at it like this 9 mm is about $11 for 100 rounds at walmart and 40 is $16 for 100 rounds. So its a five dollar diffrence for some no big deal, its makes enough diffrence for me that I am thinking of a conversion barrel for my 40 to 9mm $150. When it comes to Stopping power the most effective weapon is the one you can use well, and offten that is done by practice if money and budget are imporatnat you will find 9mm will get you a lot farther for the same dollars in practice rounds. Also remember 9mm can fit a few more rounds in thier HI cap mags so while it may not be one shot one kill you can put quit a few into a bad guy and miss about half the time. No matter what I am shooting if someones in my home I not stoping (shooting) till he stops moving. But like someone posted up a few days ago "don't bring anything to a gun fight that don't start with the number 4--ie 40 S&W 45-GAP-ACP, etc etc.
SA Black Stainless Loaded 1911
Sig Pro 2009 Custom
S&W 686
Mossberg 590 Mariner Coat
Benelli M1
Stag Arms AR15 M4gery
Stag Arms AR15 24" SS Bull Barrel Upper
AK47 Underfolder
Norinco SKS
Just a few of my Favorites
"Guns- ain't nothing wrong with that"
Corey G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:34 PM   #4
XDTalk Member

so if i go ahead and buy the 40, i can save and spend another 150 for a barrel conversion and use it as a 9mm on the range to save some money?

i have never broken a gun down, but i am pretty tool saavy and handy. so do you guys think it would be idea to get 2 guns in one? and keep the 40 barrel on it while carrying, and use the 9mm on the range?...

i'm sure there is a breakdown/barrel replacement thread on here. so if i go that route i would check it out...

anyway what do you guys think?

thanks

lynx
Old 05-02-2005, 10:35 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

plus i have a g/f expecting a ring this year, so that extra 5-15 dollars every range trip will be making a difference...
Old 05-02-2005, 11:17 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 5794
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehumanlynx
plus i have a g/f expecting a ring this year, so that extra 5-15 dollars every range trip will be making a difference...
Or, you could forget the ring and really save money in the long run
Old 05-02-2005, 11:27 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

yeah that will go over well. then i'll be on here crying about how i had to fish my new XD with a barrel conversion out of my local lake, b/c said G/F went into a rampage throwing my property out of my house.

then you will have to console me.

and no one wants that
Old 05-02-2005, 11:34 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

Member #: 4467
I agree with HighVelocity:

Quote:
I would not pay much heed to stopping power projections. Shot placement is more important. A hit with a 32acp beats a miss with a 44 mag.
All though the sound of a 44 mag shot indoors would be enough to kill many perps hit or miss (of course you will probably loose your hearing too). A well placed shot is all you need. I always like the Marine saying "one shot one kill". But then again the NRA says keep shooting till the threat is gone.
cheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 02:49 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 3261
Take heed to the cost of ammo! $5 will add up.

I recently bought a 1911 and really did not pay any mind to how much the ammo would cost before I purchased it. The first trip to the range was fun but because of the $10 per box of 50 for .45 ammo vs the $10 for 9mm 100 count is the reason I shoot my xd more then the 45.

After wife graduates in in 2 years it wont matter but at this time .. it does. Something else you might wanna also look at is how common the ammo is. Do you have to go to a local gunshop to purchase or can you run down to any store with a sporting goods section that has ammo and buy it?

But anyway just the 2 cents of a married man whose wife in going to school fulltime. So remember every little bit helps. On the other hand get the caliber you want but remember the future hidden costs of ammo. I got what I wanted but thier are times when it sucks because I want to shoot the 45 more but the cost of that ammo deters me sometimes.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:58 AM   #10
XDTalk Member

thanks for the tip. i think i'll get the 40 and get the barel conversion for it so i can shoot the cheap 9mm too..

btw, that signature is NICE,

whats up homey? is that my briefcase?

then comes 2 double taps and a pair of headshots

what a great movie.

lynx

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
.40 vs 9mm ammo cost
.40 vs 9mm cost
2005 price for 9mm
2013 9mm vs 40 ammo

40 cal ammo vs 9mm ammo cost

40 vs 9mm ammo cost

9 mm 9mm vs .40 ammo cost
9mm ammo price verse 40 ammo
9mm ammo vs 40mm ammo
9mm vs .40 cost

9mm vs 40 ammo cost

9mm vs 40 ammo cost 2013
9vs 40ammo cost

ammo cost 9mm vs 40

ammo cost 9mm vs 40sw
cost of 40 cal ammo vs 9mm in 2013
Click on a term to search for related topics.